Winter here, thinking about a new detector.

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all. I am freezing and the ground is frozen solid wayyyy up here in northern michigan. I have pretty much always been a Garrett user, I had a GTA 1000 back in the 90's and about 5 years ago purchased a GTAx 550. I sold the 550 and bought a Teknetics 4000, didnt have much luck with the 4000, spent probably 80 hours on it, just never found much.

I am looking at getting a new detector for this spring/summer/fall. I can buy back my GTAx 550 at any time for $150.

I was looking at the Ace 350 though. I think the circuitry is a lot newer than the 550, and I heard it has some sort of iron null feature. I notice they don't sell the 550 anymore, I guess it got phased out.

I did find a ton of stuff with my 550, one item was even sold to a museum. Could I expect better performance from a 350?

Main things I HATE about the 550 are the bell tone. And it loves loves loves nasty iron. I certainly do not expect it to ignore all iron, but even with manual set up of the discrim, it sounds out like a silver coin on many types of iron.

I am not against other brands either. The one thing I do need is some sort of depth meter, the rest of the meter I pretty much ignore but the depth meters I have used have all been pretty damn accurate. I do a lot of park hunting and a depth meter helps me with less digging.

tldr: Would an Ace 350 be a reasonably decent upgrade over a GTAx 550.

Also now considering the AT-PRO, tax time is upon us, a little more cash to mess around with.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One word,

White's I see you never owned one well, now is the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread