winter in the U.P. sucks..................................................

CACHEHNTR

Jan 25, 2006
Hibbing, Mn
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody else in the same boat as me? Stuck in the house getting the detecting bug? We've had snow here since october and prolly have another month of it yet! I can't wait until spring gets here,so in the meantime I research and day dream. Some of the places I'm gonna hit this year are

1) a return to an old logging camp/home stead (i've detected it before but will spend a day there this time)
2) an old hermits home (he lived in root cellar type shack) neer been there but my father inlaw knows the spot
3) another old logging camp that I found on a out of print county map

Anybody else going to hunt the U.P. when the weather warms up? I also want to do some gold panning this year.

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
Yes, I am feeling the same way. I plan at least a couple of trips to the UP this year for detecting. I scouted out several spots last year while I was up there on vacation.
Dan

R AND R

Jan 25, 2009
Menominee, MI
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Sidewinder,Stingray 2, Bandito Classic, 1265X w/ Hot Head 12, BHID 9.5 coil and Garrett ACE 2fiddy!
Yep! Would be nice to get out, I'm not real excited about logging camps, I've hunted turpitine camps in the south without much sucess. Should be some good coin hunting and I like to waterhunt/beachhunt so i may find some goodies here. It will be my first season of hunting in the UP.

Jim 2.0

Nov 10, 2007
Pinckney, MI
Detector(s) used
BH, Prizm IV, Tesoro Cortez!
really looking forward to Dan THE MAN!!!'s spring hunt. Hope you all can make it!

Attachments

• Cortes_Logo.gif
    Cortes_Logo.gif
    12.6 KB · Views: 249

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
yep waiting and waiting, and we keep getting snow, at least being in the bannana belt the snow melts a good month before i can hut up around the Marquette area

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
Thompy said:
yep waiting and waiting, and we keep getting snow, at least being in the bannana belt the snow melts a good month before i can hut up around the Marquette area
Love that Marquette area. Maybe I will see up there sometime.
Dan

Atlanta Mi Dave

Feb 19, 2009
Atlanta, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark and Tesoro Cibola Minelab 505, Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We plan on many trips to the UP this year as I have a family reunion in Escanaba in July. We mostly water hunt but I am going to ask relatives about places that they remember from earlier days. We spend e few days at Brevort State Forest campground also and use it as a base to hunt other sites. Also have been going to the Pinestump Junction near Newberry for many years. lots of State Forest campgrounds to detect land and water both.

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Yes, I am South of the Bridge, but am so freaking tired of moving snow, working in snow, and even just seeing snow!

My parents have a home at Blaney Park, South of Seney. I get there many times over the summer. It was a logging town, then a resort, so I find some interesting places to hunt.
Manistique has some great history too. I plan to find some areas there to hunt this next summer too.

Hey Atlanta Dave, we sure seem to end up in some of the same areas over and over!

Good Luck All, and may the snow melt oh so soon!

Mark

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Dave, find out where Da Yooper's bee.....ah....er, deer camp is ;D........NGE

Atlanta Mi Dave

Feb 19, 2009
Atlanta, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark and Tesoro Cibola Minelab 505, Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to do the Blaney Park bike rally in June, but I sold my ride last Oct. We always managed a little hunting on the side. I have bid on Blaney Park postcards on Ebay but have never won as I am a bargain hunter. I'll pay more for Atlanta or Wayne(where I grew up). Less than 3 weeks away before we head for home with a side trip to Shreveport,La. to visit Gloria's son and his wife. Can't wait. Oh Yah!

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Got a history book of Norwood for my birthday yesterday.
Very Very cool. They are doing a archealogical study there. I am thinking of asking if they want a voluneer to swing a coil over some of their sites. That would probably make 'em nervous, since they seem to think we are an enemy to historical preservation.
Be fun to ask, and even more fun to help them out.

Was at the Blaney Rendevous this year. Built a Motorcycle Rocking Chair that was being raffled off by the Lady Biker's as a benefit to Camp Quality for kids with cancer. Interesting weekend.

Good Luck,
Mark

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is something for all you yoopers..........

Attachments

• frozen nuts.jpg
    frozen nuts.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 178

R AND R

Jan 25, 2009
Menominee, MI
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Sidewinder,Stingray 2, Bandito Classic, 1265X w/ Hot Head 12, BHID 9.5 coil and Garrett ACE 2fiddy!
I moved here from lower Alabama,(Gulf Shores area) ugg! More snow than I've seen in 30 years. I used to waterhunt quite a bit but I think I'm gonna need two wetsuits to get in the lake here. I got spoiled there I could hunt all year round in 98 deg heat sometimes but the ground did not freeze! Blows my mind. I tried to dig a target sun around the rear of my garage no luck. Hopefully maybe in 30 days it will thaw out some.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
All I can say is, "nice place to visit". Really, UP is beautifull, I was up there last summer.
I can just imagine the possibilities, and I saw a few old sites when I was there. But I do enjoy 10 months of detecting down south here! FFD

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250
same boat as you just waiting for the weather to break. I am planning to come to the U.P. for a week of detecting this summer and good luck on your ventures. Lee

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread