the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had Nox since May

I am worried about my wireless head phone charging port

it seem weak and ready to break any time, anybody else having issues

I really like listening to Iron in all metal on headphones it cuts out nail false for me
and don't want to be stuck with useless headphones one day in the field

are the follow things normal, as I think I might send them back

I have a feeling my Port is on the way out

when the head phones are due for a Charging:

• sometimes I plug it in and no red light comes on
      • sometimes it comes on and then goes off
      • sometimes the left goes red, sometimes the right goes red
      • only one side goes red when plugged in
      • when at home and head phones are being charged and I move them light goes off, and sometimes comes back and the opposite side lights up
      • most of the time no red light from car charger
      • somteimes red light comes on with car charger only when driving not parked

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've not had any of that happen, but something does not seem correct with your set.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just get it replaced by ML. They are very accommodating to customer initiated defect claims at this point and you should be able to get a replacement within a couple of days. You can plug a regular set of wired headphones into the WM08 in the mean time and remain untethered to the detector. While the warranty should provide you this coverage for the next 3 years, the headphones do not appear to be ruggedly made as evidenced by headband cracking, wonky sticking control buttons, and the charge port issues and will likely not stand up to even normal MD outdoor abuse. I treat the micro USB charge port gently because that is notoriously a weak point on all electronics, including phones. USB C connectors are little more durable, but oh well. I have actually moved on from the ML wireless phones as I have found a set of wireless backphones that are APTX LL and water resistant and use USB C for charging but they are not cheap (~$85 on discount, Google: "66 Audio - BTS Pros"). Note that the Miccus SR71's of which the ML wireless phones are clones, are about $50 - $60. HTH.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just get it replaced by ML. They are very accommodating to customer initiated defect claims at this point and you should be able to get a replacement within a couple of days. You can plug a regular set of wired headphones into the WM08 in the mean time and remain untethered to the detector. While the warranty should provide you this coverage for the next 3 years, the headphones do not appear to be ruggedly made as evidenced by headband cracking, wonky sticking control buttons, and the charge port issues and will likely not stand up to even normal MD outdoor abuse. I treat the micro USB charge port gently because that is notoriously a weak point on all electronics, including phones. USB C connectors are little more durable, but oh well. I have actually moved on from the ML wireless phones as I have found a set of wireless backphones that are APTX LL and water resistant and use USB C for charging but they are not cheap (~$85 on discount, Google: "66 Audio - BTS Pros"). Note that the Miccus SR71's of which the ML wireless phones are clones, are about $50 - $60. HTH.

This may be the wrong thread to get on my soapbox, but what the hell was Minelab thinking by foisting those phones on us instead of manufacturing a proper pair using the technology in the wireless module? Why would they develop the excellent WM80 module, and not build it into a pair of quality headphones? That was a very stupid decision by somebody.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This may be the wrong thread to get on my soapbox, but what the hell was Minelab thinking by foisting those phones on us instead of manufacturing a proper pair using the technology in the wireless module? Why would they develop the excellent WM80 module, and not build it into a pair of quality headphones? That was a very stupid decision by somebody.

Why even have a wireless module in the first place? And why not offer a version with wired waterproof headphones? And why are the yellow waterproof headphones they do make not very loud? I hate buying a detector then having to go out and buy headphones on top it. Fortunately I am using a cheap pair of waterproof earbuds I got off amazon for $10

OP
OP
Wild Colonial Boy

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much, I contacted service
gonna look into Hugh's alternative also
as I don't have a stand by anyway
The waterproof buds sound good do they easily work through the WM80 module

I agree will all said, it would have been a complete pkg with good strong headphones

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think ML did go the cheap route with the wireless headset, but frankly, I am glad they did because I certainly did not want to pay for the R&D for their own custom BT headset which would be hard to recover development costs without jacking up the price of the Equinox since they would only be selling them to Equinox users. Heck, look at the ridiculous BT headset and WM08 markups if you get them standalone. I am also glad they included BT and did not just go with their proprietary wireless technology which does not seem to be noticeably better (in terms of latency) and in some cases worse (with respect to interference and transmission distance) than low latency APTX bluetooth, plus who would want to pay those exorbitant WM08 prices for the headset, But if you look around at what is available in terms of APTX LL headsets, none are really made for rugged in field usage. I am happy to just find a third party BT APTX LL headset that suits my purposes.

Why even have a wireless module in the first place? And why not offer a version with wired waterproof headphones? And why are the yellow waterproof headphones they do make not very loud? I hate buying a detector then having to go out and buy headphones on top it. Fortunately I am using a cheap pair of waterproof earbuds I got off amazon for $10

The wireless module is there for people who have a favorite set of wired headphones that they would prefer to use with the Equinox but the WM08 allows them to be untethered to the detector. But I wish ML had just bagged the whole Wi Stream proprietary thing (which, from what I can tell only brings the ability to hook up multiple wireless headsets to the same detector for training purposes, I suppose - very niche application) and instead just included an inexpensive, compact APTX LL BT transceiver (these go for about $20 to $30 US) into which you can just plug your favorite headset.

Regarding hating to have to go out and buy headphones - well you don't HAVE to with Equinox, they are included and they DO work - but there is a huge cottage industry of folks that just sell third party detecting headphones for a reason, because everyone knows headphones is where ALL detector manufacturers cut corners or phone it in. ML is not unique in this regard.. Agree with you though, including a set of WP headphones or a bundle variant that includes them vice the wireless phones and module would be a nice option, though I am not a fan of the ML WP phones for the Equinox due to low volume.

BTW are those cheap WP earbuds you have wireless or wired? I have not seen WP wireless earbuds for that cheap and that also incorporate the low latency BT technology and wired WP earbuds are great except where they plug into the detector because without the strain relief and water tight connection provided by the ML proprietary screw-in mini-plug connector, I would be wary of using such a setup in the surf, but that may not be what you are using them for.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Darwoody

Greenie
Oct 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have actually moved on from the ML wireless phones as I have found a set of wireless backphones that are APTX LL and water resistant and use USB C for charging but they are not cheap (~$85 on discount, Google: "66 Audio - BTS Pros

I've also ordered the BTS Pros, however, from what I've read on another Forum, I believe they are only APTX as standard, but can be upgraded to APTX LL with a firmware upgrade.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Regarding hating to have to go out and buy headphones - well you don't HAVE to with Equinox, they are included and they DO work

Not if you plan to go in the water. I needed waterproof headphones. The detector is waterproof to 10ft but the headphones are not? That doesn't make sense to me. Just being a beach detector I want waterproof everything.

I bought wired earbuds and they work great. Not going wireless as I don't trust Bluetooth radiation in my head for hours per week. A 30 minute jog sure but for 10-20 hrs on the beach per week, I just don't trust it. I'm probably being paranoid and its probably just fine but I will avoid it if I can. Here are the headphones I bought - https://amzn.to/2P5In0u

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not if you plan to go in the water. I needed waterproof headphones. The detector is waterproof to 10ft but the headphones are not? That doesn't make sense to me. Just being a beach detector I want waterproof everything.

I bought wired earbuds and they work great. Not going wireless as I don't trust Bluetooth radiation in my head for hours per week. A 30 minute jog sure but for 10-20 hrs on the beach per week, I just don't trust it. I'm probably being paranoid and its probably just fine but I will avoid it if I can. Here are the headphones I bought - https://amzn.to/2P5In0u

Having to buy WP headphones separately is pretty much par for the course for anything but a dedicated water machine like an Excalibur. MX Sport, AT Pro, AT Max, ATX, Multi Kruzer are all submersible and all require you to buy the WP headphones separately. The reason being is that they are typically more expensive than standard detecting headphones but with lower audio quality and most users of these machines down more time on dry land than in the water and are not willing to accept thst compromise.

Be sure to periodically flush the Equinox jack with fresh water if you are using it in salt water to prevent corrosion of the internal jack contacts since you are not using the screw in connector and provide strain relief too.

Don't blame you wanting to protect your noggin from unnecessary EM radiation. The risk is small but not zero. I solved it by lining my ballcap with tinfoil. And remember that just becsuse you are paranoid doesn't mean the actually aren't out to get you. I kid, but seriously though, I get your concern re RF radiation but have thrown in the towel on it because if your cell phone can pick up a signal thenbyour brain is also being bombarded by that signal already. But avoiding putting it right on your head does reduce the small risk further and don't fault your choice on that. HH.

Last edited:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Be sure to periodically flush the Equinox jack with fresh water if you are using it in salt water to prevent corrosion of the internal jack contacts since you are not using the screw in connector and provide strain relief too.

I have the screw in connector as well. I drilled out the inside and glued the headphone jack in it. I do still flush just to be safe but the screw in connector is keeping sand out.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the screw in connector as well. I drilled out the inside and glued the headphone jack in it. I do still flush just to be safe but the screw in connector is keeping sand out.

Good job. That should work great.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One side lights up only on mine. Thanks for depressing me:unhappysmiley:. They work fine so not sending them in yet. I'll wait for the shaft recall and send both:laughing7:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one side is supposed to light up.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP quote (sometimes the left goes red, sometimes the right goes red
only one side goes red when plugged in) Has the same holes on both sides but never noticed them till now, back to IIB mode Ignorance is bliss:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions