Hunters Haven-NC

Aug 28, 2013
Wilmington, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been reading the threads concerning the wireless headphones and I have a few questions. I have a new T2 SE. It's my understanding I need to purchase a Dongle adapter transmitter so I found one on e-bay

New Wireless Bluetooth A2DP 3 5mm Stereo HiFi Audio Dongle Adapter Transmitter | eBay

Now I need to know which headphones would work. I read one post that said not to buy bluetooth headphones. Why? The Dongle is bluetooth. I'm thinking I would like the behind the neck setup as someone had posted they had. I believe they were from Amazon. I would like to keep the price around $25.00 if possible.

Amazon.com: TaoTronics® TT-BH03 Bluetooth Stereo Headphone (Black, Behind-the-Neck, Built-in Microphone, A2DP/AVRCP, Supporting Wireless Music Streaming and Hands-Free Calling): Electronics

If someone has a better setup and/or can explain why not to get bluetooth and what the alternative would be I would appreciate any info.
Thanks in advance for your replies.

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I had answered all of the shortcomings in another thread. I'll try to do better here.

First! All Bluetooth headsets, headphones, speakers, transmitters etc, are compatible with one another. That fact is part of the protocol.

Some devices can be set up as transmitters and/or receivers. The dongle you linked to is only a (stereo) transmitter. That is what you want. Overstock.com also sells this unit for about $20 including freight.

It is almost impossible to find a Bluetooth headphone and/or headset without a microphone built in. In fact, if it didn't have a microphone, it should be known as a headphone. Unfortunately, marketing folks don't know the difference! In our case (detectorists) it doesn't matter is it does have a microphone. That said, as long as it isn't one with a boom.

The headset you linked to is just fine, except it is behind the ear. Two issues: If you wear a hat, they're okay, but some folks have wearing issues with them. They fall off easier too.

The worse scenario is the delay. Version one and two of the Bluetooth protocol have some delay in the conversion from analog to digital, and back again. Version three is supposed to correct this issue, but only time will tell (it isn't out yet). I should also mention that the delay is directly proportional to the distance from the dongle to the receiver—the headset in this case. It can be a nuisance depending on how you swing. To minimize the problem, make sure the antenna on the transmitter is as clear as you can make it. It is in the end opposite to the interconnect lead and the USB charging jack. I have mine attached with velcro to the under side of the battery case of my GTI-2500. Moving it a little further away from the case all but eliminated the delay.

I put up with the shortcomings because it is a pain to deal with a headphone cord, if you dig almost everything you detect. In any case, it is a personal issue, and $50 isn't all that much to find out wether you like it or not! Heck, I spent that on gas the last hunting trip I took!

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to add something here, so a second post is required.

Depending on the Bluetooth device, they can send either digital or analog signals. Obviously, what we're looking for is something which can listen to an analog signal, convert it to digital, transmit is on the 2.4 GHz band, receive it, and convert it back to an analog signal. The technology is well founded, albeit slow in some cases (audio delays, poor data transfer rates, etc.).

WiFi devices typically transfer only digital signals, but it appears that manufacturers are stepping up to the plate. Development kits are available from DigiKey and others which support analog inputs and outputs. For those who don't know, the conversion requires devices to convert one to the other (analog to digital), and back again (digital to analog). They're referred to an A to D converters or D to A as the case my be. This adds to the cost, but there is economy in scale. I suspect that unit costs will fall to the point, that detector manufacturers will investigate including WiFi in even basic detectors. Here's why I feel that way.

Without question, detector manufacturers are not only going digital, they're going to the next step, and that's flash memory. Being able to upgrade or enhance the built-in software (in reality, firmware) has a very good marketing advantage. This requires interconnection to the Internet and/or computers. While USB-wired connections have their advantages (charging batteries for example), WiFI has its advantages too. It isn't any faster data-rate wise than USB (it is about 4 times faster than Bluetooth however), but it sure is a lot more convenient! With proper web-based support, it is also user friendly (without intervention from the manufacturer). For example, if you frequently travel outside the country to detect (Canada, Old Mexico, Bahamas, etc.), reprogramming is (or should be) a simple task. Even if you're not on your home-based computer!

Currently, I know of only one headphone design that is supported by WiFI, and all of the parts are proprietary. However, it won't be long until that's not the case. After all, we're in a period of rapid growth in the technical arena unparalleled in history. As the old cliché says, Brother, you ain't seen nothing yet!

OP
OP
H

Hunters Haven-NC

Aug 28, 2013
Wilmington, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Alan,
You have done a wonderful job explaining, once again. Thank you for taking the time and for your patience with someone,that being me, asking a repetitive question. I did try and read as many of the threads/posts as I could in a short period of time before asking but maybe I didn't go back far enough. At any rate I found two items on Amazon that I'm going to try. If it doesn't work I won't be out much and the prices appear to be a little cheaper than I've been able to find anywhere else. I'm going to link them here in case anyone else wants to check them out.
Amazon.com: AQY New Wireless Bluetooth A2DP 3.5mm Stereo HiFi Audio Dongle Adapter Transmitter: MP3 Players & Accessories
Amazon.com : ARCTIC P253BT Bluetooth Stereo Headphones, Built-in Mic, A2DP/AVRCP, iOS/Android/Windows - Silver/Black : Electronics

The total for both of these only comes to $33.56. I'm going to wait until tomorrow in case anyone feels these won't work but from what Alan has said it looks like they will.
Thanks again!

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any update on how the bluetooth setup worked?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread