WIRELESS HEADPHONES FOR DETECTOR

Swanie1

May 6, 2003
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & XL500 SEAHUNTER-PULSE
Has anyone had any experience with using wireless headphones with their detector? I tried a set of SENTRY wireless phones and wasn't happy with them at all. Any recommendations on good working wireless headphones suitable for a Garrett GTI2500 detector that wouldn't be too expensive?

Upvote 0
W

Wally

Hi i use a Explorer XS i use the Lodgitech BLUETOOTH headphones the set i have are the LOGITECH® WIRELESS BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES iRIVER™ H10 U10. they work great

Attachments

• logitech_headphones_01.jpg
    logitech_headphones_01.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 513

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
It has always seemed odd to me that the detector manufacturers never have put much thought into wireless headphones. I recall back in the 80's this was discussed over and over again.

Someday some smart maker is going to build in wireless that perfectly matches their unit.

Badger

W

Wally

Hi Bren,
Yeah i heard about the cracking problem too. but like anything else if you take care of them, they will take care of you. treat them nice. i have them for 6 months now and no signs of cracking. my 15 year old daughter has the same set in white for her Ipod uses them almost every day and no cracks either and she has them for almost a year now. Motorola has a set of bluetooth headphones the S805 Bluetooth DJ Headphones i am going to buy a pair of them and try to pair them to the lodgitech dongle i'll post how they worked.

Attachments

• s805.jpg
    s805.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 402

Rockfshr

May 22, 2005
Hampton Roads VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just picked up a pair from radio shack and so far they work great, they operate at 2.4 ghz and there is no lag.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know there are some electrical minded folks on Tnet. One of you should invent a pair just for detectors. My dream set would be very small and light weight and have its own power source such as a hearing aid battery so as not to draw on the detectors power. And if reasonably priced should sell like hotcakes. I don't know how many times I have come close to accidentally cutting my headphone cord and they are always in the way when it comes time to dig. So, get busy! M ;) nty

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Monty said:
I know there are some electrical minded folks on Tnet. One of you should invent a pair just for detectors. My dream set would be very small and light weight and have its own power source such as a hearing aid battery so as not to draw on the detectors power. And if reasonably priced should sell like hotcakes. I don't know how many times I have come close to accidentally cutting my headphone cord and they are always in the way when it comes time to dig. So, get busy! M ;) nty

I could be wrong but I think most run off their own batteries Monty.
The only thing to watch out for is the lag problem.

There is a company that sells them specially made for detectors and they're pretty low cost too. I lost the website address but I'll see if I can find it again.

Badger

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post it if you find it. I'l bet I'm not the only one interested. Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a set that is inexpensive and looks promising. It is carried by thenerds.com and is made by Koss, Model HB70, part #151598. It operates from an infrared signal and is lightweight and fits behind the head. I emailed Koss direct to see if it would work with a metal detector. Since they make headsets for metal detectors, they should know if they will work or not. Waiting on response. Monty

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If they work on infra-red don't they have to have a sensor pointing directlly at the sender on the detector? And I would think the hot sun overhead trumps any penlight battery powered IR transmitter??

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problems with wireless headphones:

1. They transmit and receive just like a metal detector, Get the picture. Even if the don,t interfere with your detector they may interfere with others. Kind of like what you get with FM transmitters for XM satellite radios or other devices with small FM transmitters for getting sound to your radio.
2. Frequency response. Some headphones don't response well to all frequencies.
3. Time delay. It takes time to transmit and receive, you can notice this with some units.
4. Weight and batteries. Enough said.

Someone will get it right yet, we must just wait.

Ed D.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know the answer to your questions. That's why I asked the manufacturer. Since they make headphones for detectors, maybe they will get the point and come up with something that will work? M ??? nty

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Monty said:
I don't know the answer to your questions. That's why I asked the manufacturer. Since they make headphones for detectors, maybe they will get the point and come up with something that will work? M ??? nty

Not singling you out, Monty. It's a great idea and would be wonderful to have and use. I'd just want to know they were tested and OK on the specific model of detector I intended to use them with.

I have heard opinions that an idling cell-phone messes up your detector, as do local powerlines, nearby wireless telephones, running motors, etc. It doesn't have to be on the same frequency. Just the running current creates a magnetic field. Sometimes, when using my handheld pinpointer I get a "beep" in the headphones as the coil feet away has sensed the device, but not until it registers a hit and the speaker/light/vibrator signal it. Anything wireless needs a transmitter and circuitry at the detector box - which is a few feet from the coil.

As far as the manufacturer selling us only what works and is correct. That's what we all would have thought about Coke releasing a new formula. Someone gets a good idea and marketing runs with it . . . and then it turns out to be a dud. Ever seen a person whose Mom took Thaidimide during her pregnancy in the 60's? Buyer beware.

Wireless headphones may be the Sony Betamax, Edsel or disco of the detecting world.

W

Wally

I would have to say stick to Bluetooth. i am still useing the LOGITECH® WIRELESS BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES iRIVER™ H10 U10. that i posted above. Still no cracking. i do not notice any interferance with any of my detectors. I used them on my Minelab Explorer II and the XS and my White's Eagle Spectrum. i have a 4 inch extension wire going from the transmitter to the detector and have it velcroed right under the arm cuff and it does not get in the way at all. i charge the headphones and the transmitter the night before i go out hunting and they work great . I am still waiting on the Motorola DJ bluetooth head set to come that i posted above. i am hopeing they will be better for cold or windy days. the only draw back with the Lodgitech behind the head set is on real windy days the wind blows between my ear and headphones creating a little problem. so on those days i brake out the old coiled wire Koss phones. I will post how the Motorola headphones work once i get them.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bluetooth units I saw on line were pretty darn expensive, and I haven't a clue how bluetooth works. I have a hook up for blue tooth in my car but I don't have a blue tooth phone, so? I had read about lag time also but just that it might cause a problem. I told you I was electrically challenged. I'll stay tuned to Tnet and I'm sure the news will get here first. Monty

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Found The Site Monty!

Here's the link to those phones I was referring to here. I posted a link to these on TN back about 8 months ago.

Hope somebody tries them. I wrote to the guy once and he said he'd give a complete refund if they don't work as he states in his ad.

Oh crap, I just saw the words "sold out" on his page! Darn it! Write to him and maybe he'll get more.

Badger

http://spannsolutions.com/

Attachments

• phones.jpg
    phones.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 237
W

Wally

Hi again, my cousin did try them with with his White's dfx those did work great but for some reason it did not work well with his Garrett Ace 250. even with the volume cranked all the way up it was still low and scratchy. he tried all types of adaptors like Stereo to mono ect. we could not figure it out. and the picture makes the transmitter look small but it is really big.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread