Wireless or not?

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jumping back into the hobby after a few years off, just purchased a Nox 600, didn't get the "wireless deal" because most venders were out of stock. Coming off an AT Pro that was wired, I never seemed to have a problem with that, but being wireless sounds inviting. Looking at the Quest, seems to be solid, also looking for opinions on other models and also those that have Minelab wireless headphone. Also any other upgrade options for 600. Thanks.

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello there, I use the Garrett wireless system that I had for my AT-Pro and I'm very happy with it. I'm also using the Nox 600. I did have to get a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, but it works like a charm.

I couldn't go back to wired phones at this point on dry land. FYI the kit also comes with a pinpointer that interfaces with the wireless phones too. Another point to consider.

I am stealth and in silent mode out there lol.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am another vote for wireless. I used my ATPro with the wired phones for a while and they worked ok but when I wanted to set the detector down to dig I had to remove the phones. It was a pain. Then I bought the Z-Lynk kit. It was so nice to be able to set the detector down and not mess with the phones and when I was ready to go, just pick it up. Then I bought the Nox 800. There was no way I was going back to wired.

There are some options on Amazon that will work well with your 600 for a decent price. Just make sure you look for Aptx LL in the specs.

Indywar2

Greenie
Jun 27, 2020
Indiana
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Draw Pro, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi AC500.

Since switching to wireless I only go back to wired if I run out of charge on the wireless, and I make a point of never doing that :). It makes a huge difference for me not fighting the headphone cord. On the Equinox 600/800 they have built in bluetooth. I use the over the ear headphones that came with the EQ800, but I can't honestly tell a difference from a good pair of bluetooth headphones. Folks have different opinions on over-the-ear vs earbud bluetooth, but that is more of a personal preference. The key with either is to find a pair with low latency. There have been a couple of brands/models recommended on this and the other forum. I believe the Aukey B80 earbuds were one of the recommended brands.

Rob

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi AC500.

Since switching to wireless I only go back to wired if I run out of charge on the wireless, and I make a point of never doing that :). It makes a huge difference for me not fighting the headphone cord. On the Equinox 600/800 they have built in bluetooth. I use the over the ear headphones that came with the EQ800, but I can't honestly tell a difference from a good pair of bluetooth headphones. Folks have different opinions on over-the-ear vs earbud bluetooth, but that is more of a personal preference. The key with either is to find a pair with low latency. There have been a couple of brands/models recommended on this and the other forum. I believe the Aukey B80 earbuds were one of the recommended brands.

Rob

I do have a pair of those B80s and they do indeed work well with the Nox. You are correct, make sure whatever you consider is Low Latency.

OP
OP
AC500

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies, most likely going wireless, just not sure what has been a proven winner for the EQ600.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies, most likely going wireless, just not sure what has been a proven winner for the EQ600.
When I bought the B80s several people had recommended them and there was a sizeable discount on them so they were a real deal and work well. However, I've since checked and can't find them listed so they may not be available any longer. There was also a pair of headphones listed and recommended that were exactly like the ML phones but much cheaper. I don't know if they are still listed though.

Good luck on finding what you are looking for. Any good quality phones or buds should work well as long as they are APTX Low Latency.

OP
OP
AC500

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I bought the B80s several people had recommended them and there was a sizeable discount on them so they were a real deal and work well. However, I've since checked and can't find them listed so they may not be available any longer. There was also a pair of headphones listed and recommended that were exactly like the ML phones but much cheaper. I don't know if they are still listed though.

Good luck on finding what you are looking for. Any good quality phones or buds should work well as long as they are APTX Low Latency.

Awesome, Thank you.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm happy with the factory wireless headphones with my 800. I use the Tony Eisenhower waterproof wired headphones in the water. Good quality and working great for 3 years now.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking around a few, the M's are $140, wasn't sure if there were better options out there.
I was curious if anyone had experience with these?
https://avantree.com/as9p-wireless-aptx-ll-headphones#feature-tab

First of all, don't pay the unnecessary premium for those ML phones, plus I find their audio to be a tad muddy.

The Avantrees work well, but still a pretty penny. Here are some other options in various styles, with different features and at different price points:

If you want some decent light weight BT APTX-LL phones withe great "Soundblaster" quality audio, try these Creative phones on for size - occasionally they run flash sales on these and they can be had cheaper (note they are light but "on the ear" style which some may not like especially for long detecting sessions:

https://www.amazon.com/Lightweight-...&keywords=Creative+aptx&qid=1626906692&sr=8-5

Decent over the ear BT APTX-LL phones as a less expensive alternative to the Avantrees above:

https://www.amazon.com/AKSONIC-Blue...ywords=Trond+headphones&qid=1626908685&sr=8-6

If you are interested in earbud style phones these two pairs of phones are comfortable, sweat resistant, and have great audio (I like the Glazata N9 neckband style, less stress on the interconnecting wire, but the Pawws are at an unbeatable price):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097B5V5M...olid=24IZY21LUZ8H6&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KVFNWM3/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The following are a unique "convertible" torus neckband style that can be switched into local wearable "speaker" mode (the closeup soundstage sounds great even with "quiet" tones and is less annoying to others around you than running the speaker on your detector) or you can switch them into earbud mode for private listening too. Note that these are not water resistant. Cool but pricey.

https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Wearable-Wireless-Bluetooth-Retractable/dp/B07Y56W9XQ/

If you are detecting near surf or in windy conditions the following BT APTX-LL phones are pricey (though the Pawws are 50% off right now) but have great audio PLUS active noise cancellation (so you can really hear faint audio tones) though they are not designed to get wet:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IEHIMLY/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Blu...oise+cancelling+aptx+ll&qid=1626907632&sr=8-4

Finally, these Quest detecting phones are purpose built for the Equinox and are weather/water resistant (but not submersible) and pretty rugged for dirty, wet conditions, also with great BT APTX-LL audio:

https://www.kellycodetectors.com/quest-wireless-he-headphones-for-equinox

Wireless is definitely the way to go with Equinox as long as you are not doing submerged water hunting, which necessitates waterproof wired phones.

HTH and Good Luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AC500

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the links vferrari, I went with the Paww WaveSound 3.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Minelab wireless headphones are nice - but just as hot as full-sized wired headphones in this heat. The wireless APTX-LL earbuds seem to be the way to go. I just got a pair of the Aukey B-80's and looking forward to trying them out - as well as something more sweatproof from vferrari's post. I'll use the Minelab full size wireless in cold weather.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I currently have a pair of Archmage wireless phones as well as the Minelab phones, but much prefer the sound of my Gray Ghosts with the WM6 module. But I detest the useless clip on the WM6... it is forever coming off whatever I clip it on, and would, of course, rather be wireless. But the frequency/volume balance of both sets of wireless phones leaves so much to be desired.

Has anybody found a wireless set that comes close to Gray Ghost wired phones?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread