Wisconsin Gold?

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all, im out here in eau claire wisconsin for work and suddenly have some free time tomorrow. I remember that guy finding and posting that sweet gold & copper nugget and that is all that i can think about as i drive around the many rivers and streams out here. Does anyone happen to know if there is half decent gold anywhere in or around eau claire? Any info will be appreciated. Been a while since I've posted but heavy pans, we need to all come together in the name of gold mining, and have fun!

Ps. I found a sweet picker about a month ago and will put up a post shortly after i get into town. My biggest piece so far!

Upvote 0

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard of gold being found in the river around Eau Claire and Chippewa Falls. It'll most likely to be tiny stuff, and you'll have to run a bucket to find any. I have not tried that part of the state yet. That Cu/Au nugget was found around West Bend near the Milwaukee River. I pulled a BB sized nugget northeast of there on the lakeshore.

There's also some in Marathon County east of Wausau. Underground there's a sulfide deposit of Zn/Cu/Au. Gold in that deposit is around 144,000 oz from what the testing revealed. There's a county wide ban on prospecting or even rock picking on county land, probably to keep others from staking claims. (bit of payola there methinks)

I don't know if any can be done on the St. Croix as it's a national scenic river. I assume that it's hands off like national parks. I do know that they were finding gold at the dells way back when.

There's also gold south of the Gogebic Range in WI and MI.

Then again, try any sand you can get your hands on, only God knows what the glaciers brought down.

If you can, get the Sportsman's Connection atlas' of WI at Fleet Farm. It shows where all the public land is. I have both WI editions plus the northern MI one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread