Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went to the VA hospital again today to get another shot in my eye. It was a rough trip in many ways, I30 traffic was a slow crawl and set the van back thirty minutes so I was actually late. Th last 2 1/2 weeks have been spent flat on my back from lower back pain. Every time I would sit in a chair, I would feel fine until I went to get up and that would be murder standing up and any walking afterwards. Was eating muscle relaxers like candy but they did nothing.

Anyways, I crippled in and was soon waiting with others in a waiting area. One guy began whining and griping about having to wait a few minutes past his appointment time. He complained about everything including not being able to do some things. He finally paused for a moment and I spoke up with "it always could be worse." Immediately another person agreed but he answered "Like how?" It was then when the guy in the wheelchair minus both legs spoke quietly, "Wish I could walk." He shut the man up at least for while he was in there.

Normally I would tell the person to just look around, I mean you are in a VA hospital, open your eyes! I was struggling to just walk and someone (several) asked if I needed any help but I managed, just slowly. They said that they could see the pain in my face but I just told them that there were some people that would gladly trade places with me just to be able to walk even as poorly as I was now. To me it is a perspective thing and it always could be worse. And yeah, pain sucks! Seeing a doc about it tomorrow. Most of my back problems are from years of lifting heavy things at work as well as being crippled in one foot. Also working on shedding some weight but that is a slow thing in itself. And yet you can find people with better attitudes that are far worse off than yourself, they are the ones that really put you in your place. There are a lot of Vets out there that can use a little encouragement, just saying. Thanks for reading my little torrent. DL

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perspective is everything..I like your way of seeing things. Praying that you get better....

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I pray you get better, heal. Please trust the VA, they've saved my life, and I pray they take care of you.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Dirtlooter I share that pain.
Something in my back that has lately caused great pain in my legs/thighs when I go to get up.

As far as the complainer, you tried to set the example but some are SO self absorbed that they cannot smell the coffee or the roses of life. They create a world around themselves that seems to be always in a state of failure. Of course it is everybody’s fault but their own. It’s very hard to be around that kind of person. It’s doubly hard when it’s one’s own self.

Best of luck and heal fast.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
[FONT=helvetica neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]dirt looter: You made a good choice. Im sure it was a natural choice for you, no thought required. Hoping your condition improves and relief cones your way. Which it will. .Do those thongs that you need to do to insure a speedy recovery. In other words, don't be lifting barrels for amusement.
[/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"The only thing you sometimes have control over is perspective. You don't have control over your situation. But you have a choice about how you view it. " Chris Pine[/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was in the va here in Vancouver wa the other day one guy was grumpy as hell.
I asked if there was anything I could do for him he said ive been here for an hour waiting for and xray and don't want to fight the elevator with his wheelchair handed me his coffee cup Black please he was happy when I showed up a few minutes later. brought 4 more cups sugar and Creamer said help your self's to the other vets waiting My pain with Arthritis was not going to stop me from making someone's day hh chug

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks everyone, went to local VA clinic today and then to another one about 100 miles away for xrays etc so the ball is rolling. I have no complaints with our VA hospital in Little Rock nor the smaller clinics. they have been a true blessing for me and others and I am very thankful for them. From the moment we open our eyes in the morning, we are making choices, some good and some lousy but we make them. To me, the object is to make as many good or better choices than the bad ones. And I have to be constantly reminded to know my current limitations and stay within them. Changing out the starter four times in the wife's car was not a good one for me ( that is what the son and the son-n-law are for now). I took food to a dirty scroungy man walking along the highway a while back. gave him a drink, sandwich and a pastry bought at a store nearby. He cussed me because he wanted money, not food. I quit giving money as I have worked with recovering addicts and know that most of the time you are enabling them to get more so I give them food etc. Anyways, you can't please or help everyone but you can at least try. some just live to gripe. me, I have adjusted to the fact that the all day detecting hunts are no more and so I get what I am able to do and be happy with it. Still finding some great stuff just a lot fewer holes, just like a lot of you out there. it is what it is and it always could be worse. Jerry

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad to read you got to the VA.
Best of luck!

Setting the example “one kindness at a time”.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread