Wish I would have held my silver ETF a little longer.....

OP
OP
chinman

chinman

Jan 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice...

I got in on silver at 28.44 and plat at 1460

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Platinum just seems dead to me right now. If anything I would have put it in gold. Before I go off offending someone, This is just my opinion.

cunextuesday

Nov 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
Fisher f5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no faith in the paper game. If you play long enough, it seems likely you will lose everything MF Global, Madoff, Enron style.

I only stack the physical ;)

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cunextuesday said:
I have no faith in the paper game. If you play long enough, it seems likely you will lose everything MF Global, Madoff, Enron style.

I only stack the physical ;)

I don't see why it has to be an either-or situation. I stack physical too. But I've also done well with short term bets on SLV over the past two years. As long as you understand the risks involved with "paper" then I don't see the harm. If I had to rely on trying to move physical metals to make a profit I wouldn't have done nearly as well.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
chinman said:
Sold my SLV ETF for some quick cash on Monday thinking it had topped out for a while....but I was wrong!

At least I got in on Platinum cheap. Historically it's more expensive than Gold, but not currently.

Anyone else invest in Precious Metal's (besides our coin hunting)?

Too bad you didn't get into platinum a few weeks ago before its recent run up. Platinum is much more rare than gold and the above ground stock pile is very small. It is only mined in large volume in 2 places- South Africa and Russia. Mining companies are losing $$$ on platinum now in that it costs around 1700 an ounce to extract. Having said that, the auto industry is the main user of platinum (besides jewelry). If auto production goes down so will platinum. I believe that shorter term, platinum will gain on gold and eventually be more expensive by a hundred dollars or so by the end of the year. That is, as long as all the world central banks continue printing money and auto production stays where it has been. If we really ever hit a depression, platinum will fall down further than gold or silver. Even though silver is industrial too, it is still thought of as money and an investment but not as much as gold by the large money folks.

Right now I am a bit underwater on the platinum I bought last year but not by much due to the recent run up. I jumped the gun a bit (I am usually too early in my calls). I am holding now but not buying more. I still think silver will be the best gainer percentage wise from this point until the next couple of years. But it is wise to diversify and not only have one type of metal.

Just my opinion.

Jim

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought some SLV at $28.92 a couple weeks back......sell order is in at $33.33.....or a 15.24% gain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread