apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tomorrow I will go to the bank to obtain rolls. I will be a first-timer. Still debating over what roles I should ask for. Hmmm. I am still a bit nervous thinking that I will walk up to the teller--and hope I don't get a grippy one--and asking for roles. I am planning on going to my own bank that has several local branches--then opening up an account at a rival bank for the re-deposit.

Any suggestions on how nice I should be? Or, how I should approach this?

apush--the beginner

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Don't sweat it. One of the intangible benefits to this hobby is building confidence. For some, gaining the confidence is more beneficial than the silver. Some people have this perceived confrontation with themselves and the tellers. When in fact, there is none. Just go to the teller, and ask for half dollars. If they say they don't have any, don't turn tail and leave. Ask them if they could check with the other tellers, if they have any halves. Also, you might want to ask for big dollars at the time depending on how much your budget allows. If they still don't have any, then as a last ditch request is to ask for some hand-rolled dimes ($50 or so). You at least have the opportunity of pulling some silver on your way to the next branch. At the next branch you can dump the dimes for others along with halves and big dollars. When you arrive at your main banking branch, you might want to take the opportunity to speak with the head teller and ask them about the feasibility of ordering boxes of half dollars.

Open the dialogue, build your confidence, and score some silver. Good luck.

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
I just started last week. I have asked at three different banks where I do not have accounts. Everyone was very nice. I pulled some halves, large dollars and struck out. No silver but no hassles. Good luck.

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your response. Hopefully, for the first time, I can post something worthwhile with pics.
Many blessings!
apush

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
apush said:
Thanks for your response. Hopefully, for the first time, I can post something worthwhile with pics.
Many blessings!
apush

Hopefully? C'mon, you need to envision your stack of silver. Believe it and it will happen. The confidence starts tonight. Dream of your silver, and don't come home tomorrow without some. Even if it is only a Rosie. Good luck.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apush, You'll do fine , fear not ,most tellers are pretty nice . Just greet them with a smile ,
and ask them if you may purchase some half dollars , if they say they don't have any , ask
them if you can puchase boxes on a regular basis . A lot of banks will order them on a
monday, lets say , and they will have them by thursday or so . Good luck ! Argentium.

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rosies would be great! So great to me personally. I am a Great Depression historian and just recently got into this wonderful hobby. I received a metal detector for Christmas (only found clad thus far), but also discovered this wonderful website. Can't wait till I get to the bank tomorrow.
Thank you for your encouragment! It is deeply appreciated.
apush :read2:
I Love FDR.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
apush said:
Rosies would be great! So great to me personally. I am a Great Depression historian and just recently got into this wonderful hobby. I received a metal detector for Christmas (only found clad thus far), but also discovered this wonderful website. Can't wait till I get to the bank tomorrow.
Thank you for your encouragment! It is deeply appreciated.
apush :read2:
I Love FDR.

Want some encouragement? Well, this was all pulled from circulation.
Image034.jpg

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Would you look at that pic! Yep, I would call that motivation.
apush

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they dont have halves, grab as many customer wrapped rolls of dimes. I have started doing this and its paying off. No mercs yet but do find silver most of the time. Many thanks to Rich Hartford for making me come to this realization...:)

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i used to be a little apprehensive at first also. but what is the worst that could happen? they say NO and maybe give you a funny look? just keep in mind that the tellers who do have halfs generally can't wait to get rid of them so they don't have to count them every night. if you look at it like you are doing them a favor, it takes alot of that apprehension away. and when they thank you for taking them that should remove any apprehension you still have. :thumbsup:
don't feel bad if your finding nothing at first for that will change.
remember my famous 3P's formula:
Patience+ Persistance= Profit
HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread