With all the rings and jewelry being lost

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
I hunt the beaches and water and have found lots of rings and jewelry.

Obviously rings are being lost at the beach and in the water. I do not wear jewelry and was wondering if those rings and all the other jewelry are insured?

How can someone wear a gold ring or jewelry that is worth so much in the water and just walk away as they realize that they lost their property?

Are people that dumb to wear jewelry in the water?

I was reading a story about a guy who was trying to return a gold school ring to a woman and she acted like it was not ever found and is ignoring the guy who found it. Could it be that she collected insurance on the ring and does not want it back?

I am just curious as I have been finding rings and things quite a bit.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Steve, a lot of times when people loose a ring or something, they don't necessarily know where/when it was lost. They just ....... at some point during the day, or when they arrive home, realize "oh my gosh, my ring is gone". You can see this illistrated by surfing the craigslist lost and found. There, you will sometimes see people posting a lost jewelry item, and they list off the 10 places they were that day, hoping that someone might read their ad, and find it. You know, like "I was at the such & such mall, then I walked down these 5 streets, then I went to this & such restaurant, blah blah blah"

Yes, now and then some people distinctly see the ring fly off their hand, when they're pitching frisbee or playing volleyball. Or they feel it slip off in waist deep water as they're frolicking around. In those cases, they'd have a pretty concise area as to where it landed.

But even in those cases of where they can hone in a spot where it was lost, you'd be surprised at how many people, who are not in this hobby, just have no idea of calling a hobbyist in to find it. It just doesn't occur to them a lot of times. And they have no idea of the "hiding action" of sand, and just assume that when the tide pulls out, they can walk out at low tide, and simply see it there, so they assume the next passerby will pick it up or something. It's only hobbyists like us that know the obscuring action of sand, and the benefit/potential of md'ing.

I have offered my services to many people (when responding to CL L&F ads) offering my service to go look on the beach for them. And the answers are sometimes silly. Like: No, we already looked, when we raced back to the beach later that day, to look where our beach blanket had been. It wasn't there. So we ran the ad because we figured someone else passing by saw it after we left", etc... You see? they can't envision that it's still there, buried in the sand. They just don't know the gravity/loose sand trick, like an md'r would know it.

And as for returning class rings, there are SCORES of stories like yours. Even some scary ones. I knew a guy who called the owner of a class ring he found, after he tracked down a name and phone #. He only got a voice-mail, so he left a message on their machine saying "I have your ring here, give me a call, so we can arrange to get it back to you". That night, guess who showed up at his door during the family's dinner? The POLICE! Yup, you see, sometimes when someone looses a ring, they think perhaps it was stolen. Like, perhaps they left it on the night stand in the hotel, and the maid must've stolen it! (w/o realizing that they really lost it on the beach). Or they left it on the sink in the public bathroom when they went to wash their hands (they think, but again, perhaps just lost on the beach). And in THEIR mind, the next person who comes in to that bathroom, and picks up, and keeps their ring, has "stolen" it.

For these reasons, there are a lot of md'rs, who don't even make an attempt to return found class rings. I could go on and on with similar stories. And as for those who just assume you're a nut case and hang up on you, this is probably because of the same reason you hang up on total strangers who call you right? You just assume it's a solicitation, etc... I had that happen to me, where ........ the class ring I'd found turned out to be a fellow who had died in the vietnam war (thus, the ring was on the beach for over 35 yrs., before I found it). When I found out his parents and siblings contacts, I got hold of them. But all they would say is, that I was mistaken, and that this person had been passed away for 35+ yrs. ago, and for me to "get a life and get lost". I didn't even try to call back a second time. I just kept it. ::)

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a
One word describes the...."WHY"....to people wearing jewelry in the water and that is "VANITY". There are some other reasons as well.....but that is a major part of it....JMHO....Brian

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the really high end jewelery gets insured, most does not. Typical wedding stuff falls into the is not. I posed this question to my insurance rep not long ago, and that was his answer.

I once encountered a couple who lost a ring -- I told them I could most likely locate it. He said not to worry that it was insured. I said ok and found the ring about 2 days later. Works for me. :D

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
SHHHHHHH!! The tourist here in FL are already getting wise about wearing jewelry to the beach. Don't give them anymore ideas ;D It's already bad enough.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey us water hunter love when people wear there jewerly in the water. If they would quit wearing their jewerly we would be out of business all we would find is clad. So I hope they do continue to wear their jewerly at least I return the ones that I can. If I can not find the owner its mine....Matt

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
In a word-STUPID U wear jewelry in the water you deserve to lose it and eventually U will & when I find it I will keep it :laughing7:

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
erikk said:
In a word-STUPID U wear jewelry in the water you deserve to lose it and eventually U will & when I find it I will keep it :laughing7:
Ditto!

RustyRelicHunter

Oct 5, 2004
SC
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
What ever happened with the story of the man early last year who claimed he lost a $300,000. diamond ring off the Daytona Beach Pier?

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People don't believe their rings and gold will come off. Some will say their rings are tight and will not slip off and tell you they are not going to lose them. My reply to some of these dummies is , out of over a thousand rings I found I can't think of anyone who said they were going to the beach to lose some jewelry.

Euqinu

Mar 1, 2011
Fort Myers, Fl
Detector(s) used
Sov. GT, Compadre
Its a lack of common sense really but who cares why. Personally I would look for an owner if possible, whether or not they deserve to get it back is irrelevant to me. Morally it is the right thing to do. I have doubts that anyone I contact would think that I've stolen their item since I'm a Deputy. Kinda helps with the credibility. ;D

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can tell them all day and post a sign on the Beach and put it in the news paper not to wear the rings and the sort on the beach as you may lose them .
And that will not stop it from going on . And you can count on a Percent of any group of people to wear and drop the stuff on the beach and in the water .

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RustyRelicHunter said:
What ever happened with the story of the man early last year who claimed he lost a $300,000. diamond ring off the Daytona Beach Pier?

It was $370K, a local told me it was found and returned, but I have never read anything about it being found.....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom pretty much nailed it with his answer. I had a friend that tried to return a kids ring after he learned the owner. When he got to the address to return the ring the police were waiting for him. Seems Jr. told dad someone stole it from his locker when he really skipped class to go to the beach. Myself, I stopped wearing rings after I started finding so many.

I usually get calls from a certain ethnic group that one of the girls has lost an engagement ring while at the beach during a family picnic. I used to feel real bad when I couldn't find it till I learned the girl usually claims she lost her engagment ring, tries to find it, then all the uncles, brothers, families chip in to buy her a NEW ring which usually turns out to be better than the one she lost. Its a pride thing to show which family is better off.

So long as people want to show off their goodies I don't care, and I am getting better at not following the dude around that is wearing the Rappers Bling. :D

Attachments

• Vultures1.jpg
    Vultures1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,415

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread