With Out A Doubt....This Is My Best Ever Find....

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The day started as any other,however,in my eyes,it was the best day of the week.....A Tuesday
Tuesday :icon_scratch:
Yes,Tuesday,
As it is one of my days off from the dairy business

I awoke late that morning,sometime around 5:30 a.m. which is late for me,I still managed to beat the roosters up ;D
Got me a cup of coffee and turned on the weather channel as I always do...
Sometime shortly after turning on the TV,the wife turns and asks,what do you have planned today?
I just chuckle :laughing7:,You know what I am going to do,dig some holes and search for treasure..
After getting the coffee down and a quick shower,I load up the equipment and contemplate which location to hunt first....
I chose a field,it is all fields for me it seems these days,it is strange how one or two items can alter ones interests.
And with the find I recovered on this day,it seems my fate is sealed...

I arrived to the field shortly after the sun rose,and embarked on the quartermile walk to the site of the old homestead,To this day,I am still unsure as to the actual age of the place,It is shown on the 1868 platt map,so it is at least that old....

I did a fast scan on my way in and picked up a few pieces of copper,then just as I entered the main debris field...
A solid high tone signal,shortly a small silvery disk appears,back says "half dime" :hello2:,so this being my first half dime I set down the equipment and head for the truck,do a quick rinse and walla,1858 O....What a day,I send a text and a pic to my hunting bud Matt,and within a minute I have a reply,Way to go Dude...

After what seemed like an eternity,I finally pry ed the halfdime out of my hand and decided to go back to hunting..although at this point,how could the day possibly get better...Well,about thirty minutes later and eight inches below the surface I found my answer,although at the time I had not a clue what I held in my hands,and even considered the halfdime the top find of the day..

After recovering a few more targets I decided to call it a morning,I returned home and cleaned and admired my finds.
Shortly after posting the finds of the day,I became aware of the significance of the buckle and what it truly was...I stood in utter disbelief of what I had recovered,and I am still amazed many months later...

It Was A Good Day....

Soup

Attachments

• DSC00878.JPG
    DSC00878.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 1,530
  • DSC00881.JPG
    DSC00881.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 1,534
  • DSC00878.JPG
    DSC00878.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 1,528
  • DSC00881.JPG
    DSC00881.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 1,534
Upvote 0

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow .. :o..is a great find !!

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great find Scott. Just one question. How did that not make the banner? Here's to 2011. :occasion14:

Kayaker

Dec 27, 2010
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Looks VERY cool! :icon_thumright: For us newbies (got my first metal detector as a Christmas present from my wife), could you explain a bit about what it is, aside from a very cool looking buckle?

OP
OP
S

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure,Kayaker

It is a Civil War era Eagle Sword Belt Plate,It was worn by Union Officers and Enlisted men that carried a sword....
See the link below for a picture of a union officer in uniform....

http://howardlanham.tripod.com/link29.htm

HH Soup

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Outstanding! Digging either one would make my day. I bet you still smile when you look at that buckle! congratz :hello2:

Joe Hoo?

Feb 13, 2009
Southern and Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo St, Compadre
i would wear that proudly... awesome civil war buckle.... HH :headbang: happy new years!!!!!

Attachments

• lunapic_129395989425915_11.gif
    lunapic_129395989425915_11.gif
    255.5 KB · Views: 1,011
  • lunapic_129395989425915_11.gif
    lunapic_129395989425915_11.gif
    255.5 KB · Views: 1,012

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread