With So Many Choices, Which MD Do I Choose? Please Help Me!

4DHunting

Greenie
Jan 18, 2009

Hello fellow hunters. First of all, I would like to say Thank You to all of those who have created and formed TNet, including all my fellow hunters. It is my ABSOLUTE pleasure tp be part of the TNet Family! :thumbsup: My first thought was that people I know were going to laugh and talk about me for wanting to hunt for treasure, saying I'm in a fairy-tell world. My second thought was OH WELL, THE HELL WITH THEM!

I am now preparing myself, for the day is coming. Sunday March 1, 2009 will be my first meeting with destiny. I will hold in my hands something as fragile as a baby, yet more fearless than a lion. My heart has yearned for it since the first night I logged onto the T-Net site. I will honor it and hold it with integrity because I know it will be my first treasure (well, other than my kids).

So fellow hunters, I need help. I have already viewed several articles on TNet to the point where I got a migraine. I want to find an MD that does it all; beach/land and searches deep in the earth. However, I am wanting something affordable for my budget which is $0-$200. $200 is cutting it close. I know you guys can give me some advice. Please feel free to ask me questions as well.

Please also include in your reply: where you are from (I want to learn a little about my fellow hunters on a more personal level), what kind of MDs you've used and your experience with them, and any other information that you want to include. Thank you for looking at my post.

Happy Hunting,
Danielle ;D

Upvote 0

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Very well written. English major?

Tons of detectors to choose from. I would recommend looking at the Ace 250 @ 213.00, the Fisher F2 @ 215.00 comes with second small coil, the Tesoro Silver Umax @ 240.00
A little more than the 200.00 your looking to spend but worth the step up.

Good luck with your decision and look forward to your posts and finds! :thumbsup:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
a machine that "does it all"? as long as you don't include nugget hunting in that mix, the 6000 di pro. is a versatilve coin/relic machine. But sure, there's machines that out-class that in certain arenas (target separation, depth, TID, etc....). But the minute you focus on any of those other machines, you'll find weaknesses (when compared to others) as well. Your best bet is to hook up with a club in your area, see who's bringing in the OLD coins (not just a sandbox hunters) and see what machine they're using.

I'm from CA, and use Minelabs. Used to use Whites & Garrett. But that point (location) and brand is meaningless. It depends on what you're hunting for, your skill level, and the type ground/environment you're in.

It's like asking "what's the best motor vehicle?" The answers would range: "what do you intend to do?" haul potatoes to the market? (if so, perhaps you would like a truck) 0 to 60 in the least time? ( if so, perhaps you want a corvette), safest and roomiest for my kids? (perhaps you want an SUV), best gas mileage and lighest? (perhaps you want a YUGO), and the list goes on and on. You simply cannot say "I want the best average of all of those", because no one can answer that.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
author=4dgudger

"It is my ABSOLUTE pleasure tp be part of the TNet Family! :thumbsup:"

Well stick around--we'll do our best to change this attitude ;D

"My first thought was that people I know were going to laugh and talk about me for wanting to hunt for treasure, saying I'm in a fairy-tell world."

What's reality? does anybody know?

"I am now preparing myself, for the day is coming. Sunday March 1, 2009 will be my first meeting with destiny. I will hold in my hands something as fragile as a baby, yet more fearless than a lion."

I seriously recommend NOT taking hold of a farmer's electric fence!

"So fellow hunters, I need help."

Okay--I can see you'll fit right in around here.

"I want to find an MD that does it all; beach/land and searches deep in the earth. However, I am wanting something affordable for my budget which is $0-$200. $200 is cutting it close. I know you guys can give me some advice. Please feel free to ask me questions as well."

I thought you didn't believe in fairytales?

Happy Hunting,
Danielle ;D

Just kidding---welcome friend! :thumbsup: :coffee2:

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am fairly new to hunting, too. I bought a "like new" Ace 250 on ebay for about $185. You take a risk, but I felt comfortable with the description of one that was used only a few times and then was put in a closet. It was exactly as described. I love how easy it is to use and how light it is. I hear it isn't good in wet sand at the ocean beaches, but it works great for where I live. Good luck!

B

BIG61AL

whites and garretts are the top two us brands, all types and prices and all of them good.

OP
OP

4DHunting

Greenie
Jan 18, 2009
Tin Nugget said:
Very well written. English major?

Tons of detectors to choose from. I would recommend looking at the Ace 250 @ 213.00, the Fisher F2 @ 215.00 comes with second small coil, the Tesoro Silver Umax @ 240.00
A little more than the 200.00 your looking to spend but worth the step up.

Good luck with your decision and look forward to your posts and finds! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately I am not an English major, although it was one of my favorite classes in school. From my research, there are a few mds that can do the job. I have loved the Tesoro models since I laid eyes on them, but never knew there was one that fit into my budget, so I certainly appreciate your suggestion of the Silver Umax. I may have found my long lost baby!

OP
OP

4DHunting

Greenie
Jan 18, 2009
Tom_in_CA said:
a machine that "does it all"? as long as you don't include nugget hunting in that mix, the 6000 di pro. is a versatilve coin/relic machine. But sure, there's machines that out-class that in certain arenas (target separation, depth, TID, etc....). But the minute you focus on any of those other machines, you'll find weaknesses (when compared to others) as well. Your best bet is to hook up with a club in your area, see who's bringing in the OLD coins (not just a sandbox hunters) and see what machine they're using.

I'm from CA, and use Minelabs. Used to use Whites & Garrett. But that point (location) and brand is meaningless. It depends on what you're hunting for, your skill level, and the type ground/environment you're in.

It's like asking "what's the best motor vehicle?" The answers would range: "what do you intend to do?" haul potatoes to the market? (if so, perhaps you would like a truck) 0 to 60 in the least time? ( if so, perhaps you want a corvette), safest and roomiest for my kids? (perhaps you want an SUV), best gas mileage and lighest? (perhaps you want a YUGO), and the list goes on and on. You simply cannot say "I want the best average of all of those", because no one can answer that.

Thanks for the tips Tom. I will definitely hook up with a club in my area after I get my md and learn a little about it.

OP
OP

4DHunting

Greenie
Jan 18, 2009
Michigan Badger said:
author=4dgudger

"It is my ABSOLUTE pleasure tp be part of the TNet Family! :thumbsup:"

Well stick around--we'll do our best to change this attitude ;D

"My first thought was that people I know were going to laugh and talk about me for wanting to hunt for treasure, saying I'm in a fairy-tell world."

What's reality? does anybody know?

"I am now preparing myself, for the day is coming. Sunday March 1, 2009 will be my first meeting with destiny. I will hold in my hands something as fragile as a baby, yet more fearless than a lion."

I seriously recommend NOT taking hold of a farmer's electric fence!

"So fellow hunters, I need help."

Okay--I can see you'll fit right in around here.

"I want to find an MD that does it all; beach/land and searches deep in the earth. However, I am wanting something affordable for my budget which is $0-$200. $200 is cutting it close. I know you guys can give me some advice. Please feel free to ask me questions as well."

I thought you didn't believe in fairytales?

Happy Hunting,
Danielle ;D

Just kidding---welcome friend! :thumbsup: :coffee2:

You are a hoot Michigan Badger. I can definitely tell you're a fellow mid-westerner. I didn't say that I don't believe in fairy tails, I do and mine may come true here in the very near future or maybe not. I might end up in the looney bin. Right now it's hard to say, but I'll keep you posted.

OP
OP

4DHunting

Greenie
Jan 18, 2009
baylorhall said:
I am fairly new to hunting, too. I bought a "like new" Ace 250 on ebay for about $185. You take a risk, but I felt comfortable with the description of one that was used only a few times and then was put in a closet. It was exactly as described. I love how easy it is to use and how light it is. I hear it isn't good in wet sand at the ocean beaches, but it works great for where I live. Good luck!

The Ace 250 was the first machine I did research on. I like it, but I like the Tesoro alot!

OP
OP

4DHunting

Greenie
Jan 18, 2009
BIG61AL said:
whites and garretts are the top two us brands, all types and prices and all of them good.

Thanks for the post BIG61AL. I was able to do limited research on these brands. I will update this post with the final result.

Willy

First thing to do, and I've posted this many a time, is check out the classifieds. You can by a new (mediocre) detector for $200 or.. a kicka$$ used detector (for the same $200) that would otherwise cost much more. ..Willy.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The advice to look at used is good because of your budget. I've been thru 9 detectors and only 2 were purchased new. For what it's worth, I currently own 6 Tesoros and 2 whites. Really enjoy the light weight of the Tesoros and appreciate their coil selection as well as the lifetime warranty. I seldom miss TID although one is a DeLeon and does have TID. Tesoros are easy to pinpoint with as they have an extremely fast response/retune after crossing a target. All the major manufacturers offer some good choices, but "best" is a variable that depends on the user and type of hunting they prefer etc. Good luck and have fun.
Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread