Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off let me say ,I did not find this Button But I was there when it was recovered.
It's very small Approx. 12 mm give or take a few. Still has gilt on it everywhere except
the letters. Any information on use during the war of northern aggression, And A relative
worth will be Greatly Appreciated. WMI Button.jpg

P.S. This is not the actual button found, But it.s just like it.

Upvote 0

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Greg! I don't know anything about this button but aesthetically it is beautiful!! Hope you get the info you're looking for.

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
western military academy was formed in Nashville in 1855 several confederates including the boy hero of the confederacy Sam Davis attended. I would suppose several used their military institute uniforms during the war. They also have a few from a W.M.I. in Kentucky.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunrunner61

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
western military academy was formed in Nashville in 1855 several confederates including the boy hero of the confederacy Sam Davis attended. I would suppose several used their military institute uniforms during the war. They also have a few from a W.M.I. in Kentucky.

WMI started off in Georgetown,Ky then moved to Nashville,Tn. Where it merged with A Highschool still operating under the WMI name until 1867(i think)
We've been told that this is a very rare button. Just trying to find out for my bud.

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
I would feel that your button was more than likely used in the Civil war (made before then) by a Confederate soldier. W.M.I. furnished a lot of cadets to the Confederate army and based on the location that it was found in (Dalton Georgia I assume) that would make since. The Confederates went into winter camp in and around Dalton. The back mark should date it, but like I said, I'll bet that it was used in the war. Good find. Tennessee digger

OP
OP
Gunrunner61

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would feel that your button was more than likely used in the Civil war (made before then) by a Confederate soldier. W.M.I. furnished a lot of cadets to the Confederate army and based on the location that it was found in (Dalton Georgia I assume) that would make since. The Confederates went into winter camp in and around Dalton. The back mark should date it, but like I said, I'll bet that it was used in the war. Good find. Tennessee digger

TDigger
Thanks for the info, It was found in Dalton...............HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread