Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a concerned citizen or neighbor, I can understand that one may would question and/or be concerned about the physical and/or mental well being, of someone who just suddenly goes off the grid. But, to tell a homeowner they cannot live in their home without electricity or running water, seems to be a bit over-reach, imho!

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How sad, that's our government officials working for "us" again. None of the cities business, she can live that way if she wants, and why the heck does she have to "prove" to the city it's sanitary. Who's meter do we use for that? Can't wait to hear the "other"side of this one!!! :laughing7:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
pat-tekker-cat:

I'm reading Steve Johnson's The Ghost Map. We've tried a society without rules, where people can let their cesspools overflow and dump their chamber pots in the streets. I'm not saying that is what this woman was doing. I am saying we're all better off when there are lines drawn that are enforced.

Does she have a septic tank? I wonder what the local zoning regulations are about that.

I'm guessing she gave the tv interview to promote her book and, or, her website. Apparently living "off the grid" doesn't include not using McDonalds' free internet access.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
pat-tekker-cat

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wondered too, whether she was septic tank or city waste. I'm not exactly certain, but I thought the rules were a little more lenient in some of the outer rural/suburban developments in that area. If the city/county had not run waste pipes through an area, you would have to get a septic tank. The health dept issues the permits and they have to be a certain size in relation to home space and/or bathrooms(?). There were many developers started building, then went bankrupt when the market fell. A lot of the intended developments, never got developed, fully.

Here in S.E. Fl, imo, better to have septic tank. If you're on city sewage, they charge you 3 times your water bill for your refuse bill. Also, when everything floods, in some areas, the sewage comes back up through the pipes, into your toilet, shower, home. YUK!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
pat-tekker-cat:

There's supposed to be a "back-flow preventer" that connects a home sewage pipe to the main discharge pipe out under the street. Without that...it can get ugly in a hurry!

When I read she didn't have running water this is the first thing I thought of. Other than that - shouldn't bother the local government too much.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OB I see you must live in a tent , a back flow preventer are in the main drain not the slop sink nor toilets. Some cities have combined sewage and run off. I'v seen sewage blow right up a downspout on the rain gutters. There are tons of instances where people live without running water. It's called bottle water available at any gas station.

Last edited by a moderator:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
We are missing lots of the details.
Vid shows 12 volt so there,s some being used.(If its actually at her place).
Rain water collection and they pulled camera off toilet she was showing.
Off grid can have lots of different power sources. Wind,solar,generator,water driven turbine,alternators,ect.
Good luck lady. Its not you its where you live.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pat-tekker-cat:

There's supposed to be a "back-flow preventer" that connects a home sewage pipe to the main discharge pipe out under the street. Without that...it can get ugly in a hurry!

When I read she didn't have running water this is the first thing I thought of. Other than that - shouldn't bother the local government too much.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Maybe in a couple of municipalities, but it is not a normal appliance, and many local codes forbid Backflow preventers on sewage discharge from the home. And more people have problems with storm drains than sewer.

At one beach area I worked at the sewer gravity flowed to the mains and then to holding tanks, where a pump would lift it for another gravity drain to the next lift station. The only thing required in the code was a snorkel ( locals called it a candy cane) and it was simply a vacuum breaker, so the pump at the station didn't pull your traps dry, and to keep sea water out of the lines in case of tidal flood.

All of the stations had big generators for backup power. Bet it would be a mess if electric went out and the generators failed.

If you ask me, the local municipality is bent out of shape that she may be using free water to flush toilets, they charge for waste treatment in your water bills, usually.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't mean to butt in, but there are many, many poor in my county who live with outhouses, no electricity and no running water. Get water in a barrel or hope it rains, grind corn for tortillas by hand every morning, build a fire to cook rice and beans. No health care until now and not much hope. They speak spanish, live in certain areas here and are all american citizens. Not many municipal rules here om the frontier. Only know about this because a lady friend was doing social work trying to improve their lives...

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
austin:

Well put! My Dad is old enough to not really need anything for Christmas. We're making a donation in his name to a charity that helps First Americans who are having a hard time.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread