Women TH arent stupid

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Women TH aren't stupid

Recently I posted for treasure hunting partners for the Treasure Coast. Interestingly enough, shortly thereafter, I received a reply backchannel from someone who wanted me to just tell them what "spots" were hot for the treasure.

Years ago, when I was living in another part of the US and posted for partners I received the same type of emails. I really wonder if any of the male TH on this board get this type of thing or is it just the obvious factor that I am female by my username that someone thinks I am just going to just tell everything I know to anyone who asks ?

I made it very clear in my post that I was looking for serious committed partners who did their research. The email I received was obviously from a very lazy person who didn't want to do any of the work, only grab the finds.

I find it disappointing that someone would not take the art of TH to true heart, but also lacked ethics and real human character in contacting anyone on this forum.

There are pirates and there are treasure hunters. I advertised for Treasure Hunting partners, not for pirates.

While I feel that true partners can mesh their information together to maximize their hunting experience and share in finding those rare treasures, I am not here to do the hard work and then merely hand it all over to someone else to pillage and plunder any of my researched sites and dumping me cold out of the picture. I will hunt alone before I will communicate or hunt with a piranha.

To the person who wrote me: Your loss, not mine.

itmaiden

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Women TH aren't stupid

I don't know about that particular person... but I know sometimes, beginners would just like to get into it and find something good. Obviously, we all started out at some point finding hardly anything at all. Of course, the good finds come when you put time, research, and your energy into finding spots to hunt. I probably wouldn't take someone like that along with me to a really good site... but I would consider taking them to a site I know will produce some decent finds, just so they see more than pulltabs & canslaw. I love when people get addicted to our hobby, and there's no better way to do that than to let 'em see some good finds! That's why I got hooked on T-Net and all the great finds people posted, because it fueled my passion for MDing & THing.

I just got contacted by a guy who is a few years or so younger than me here in the area. He has no detector, just a passion for history. He wanted to know if he could come with me sometime. Obviously, if I do let him, it will be hard to do what I do with headphones on and pay attention to him at the same time. But I do intend on taking him with sometime to a park or something, just to show him the ropes... then maybe give him some finds to take home for himself.

I do agree with you though... if someone who is already into the hobby and just wants a hand-out and has no intentions of researching on their own... that's kind of a "no go" in my book. But every once in a while, it's nice to throw someone a good place (in my opinion)

Hope I don't come across as I'm dumping on your post...

Bran <><

OP
OP
itmaiden

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005

I appreciate your perspective and considered that, however that was not my impression from the email. Maybe the sender could have made themselves a little more clear.

I would have no problem with a new person who has never had a clue about the benefits of research. However, they didn't want to partner, only be given the locations of sites to find definite treasure. Well as we all know, treasure of any kind can be found just about anywhere. Research helps us to narrow down a specific type of find we are looking for, or where we have the best chances.

As I write this I think of a Spring I would love to go to, but I never forgot those childhood memories of those thousands of metal bottle caps and tabs on the ground. No thank you. I try to get people newly interested in TH all the time. But not everyone has the passion or is willing to put forth the effort.

It has to be in your blood. How often do we see enthusiastic metal detector buyers, who shortly after digging a few holes find it to be too much work and then put their detectors back up for sell ?

I am looking for a serious TH partnership where we can plan, research and work as a team to maximize our income opportunities, not just find a few token souvenirs.

So maybe I should re post and be more detailed huh ?

Thanks again for your comment.

itmaiden

godisnum1 said:
I don't know about that particular person... but I know sometimes, beginners would just like to get into it and find something good. Obviously, we all started out at some point finding hardly anything at all. Of course, the good finds come when you put time, research, and your energy into finding spots to hunt. I probably wouldn't take someone like that along with me to a really good site... but I would consider taking them to a site I know will produce some decent finds, just so they see more than pulltabs & canslaw. I love when people get addicted to our hobby, and there's no better way to do that than to let 'em see some good finds! That's why I got hooked on T-Net and all the great finds people posted, because it fueled my passion for MDing & THing.

I just got contacted by a guy who is a few years or so younger than me here in the area. He has no detector, just a passion for history. He wanted to know if he could come with me sometime. Obviously, if I do let him, it will be hard to do what I do with headphones on and pay attention to him at the same time. But I do intend on taking him with sometime to a park or something, just to show him the ropes... then maybe give him some finds to take home for himself.

I do agree with you though... if someone who is already into the hobby and just wants a hand-out and has no intentions of researching on their own... that's kind of a "no go" in my book. But every once in a while, it's nice to throw someone a good place (in my opinion)

Hope I don't come across as I'm dumping on your post...

Bran <><
[/quote

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

I've only had one partner... we shared in the research and we shared with the gas money.  Everything else was "keep what you find".

I now hunt alone and am VERY reluctant to take on a partner, having never meet anyone who'll do the required reasearch or pull thier weight. 

... and all I'm looking for is rusty relics!

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

itmaiden said:
I appreciate your perspective and considered that, however that was not my impression from the email. Maybe the sender could have made themselves a little more clear.

I would have no problem with a new person who has never had a clue about the benefits of research. However, they didn't want to partner, only be given the locations of sites to find definite treasure. Well as we all know, treasure of any kind can be found just about anywhere. Research helps us to narrow down a specific type of find we are looking for, or where we have the best chances.

As I write this I think of a Spring I would love to go to, but I never forgot those childhood memories of those thousands of metal bottle caps and tabs on the ground. No thank you. I try to get people newly interested in TH all the time. But not everyone has the passion or is willing to put forth the effort.

It has to be in your blood. How often do we see enthusiastic metal detector buyers, who shortly after digging a few holes find it to be too much work and then put their detectors back up for sell ?

I am looking for a serious TH partnership where we can plan, research and work as a team to maximize our income opportunities, not just find a few token souvenirs.

So maybe I should re post and be more detailed huh ?

Thanks again for your comment.

itmaiden

I agree with you... and from his reply that you said earlier, it does appear that he didn't really care to partner up... just wanted a good site.
Who knows.

I'd usually only want to go out with people I've at least been able to get to know.

Bran <><

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

lots of folks want a "free lunch" off of your research and time and effort spent to find a good spot and say to heck with all the "research stuff" just "gimme" the good spots and hurry up while your at it. -- dirt bags like that are the types that in their "rush to riches" --never fill their holes back up ---now a newbie wanting to learn the ropes a bit is differant than these lazy grubbin dirt bags --there are a few semi decent spots that I'll take a newbie to--- but dirt bag types often try to fake you out --"oh I'm new can you help me out ? --sure I say --- I'll teach you how to do "research" so you can find spots for yourself -- then I watch their reaction -- if their face screws up and looks like they just drank sour milk --nope nothing good for you -- if however they are smiling and it seems they really want to learn how -- then its off to the semi decent spot for metal detector training --- I tell the newbies -- to hunt with me you must recover your holes , peroid -- I watch em --if they do right I praise --if not --I go over the holes . later on --and when asked again -- I say can't think of any spots right now. ( I do not help out --open hole leavers.)

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now, Now, no need to get upset.

I would just send them back a reply with all the "Hot Spots"

The spots where Metal Detectors are not welcome and the Authorities are hot to fine you :D

It works for me :thumbsup:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

I've been watching some of the same type of posts here lately in Fl.

Gimmie, gimmie, gimmie... I've got nothing in return. Where is it all, tell me....

The only partners that may work out well have to be good friends first, or have a legally binding contract. There are times where I would just like to hunt with someone else to help out, or learn techniques. Fun times are best shared.

I hope you find what you are in search of. Looking at photos of neat finds always inspires me to get back off the couch.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

itmaiden said:
Recently I posted for treasure hunting partners for the Treasure Coast. Interestingly enough, shortly thereafter, I received a reply backchannel from someone who wanted me to just tell them what "spots" were hot for the treasure.

Years ago, when I was living in another part of the US and posted for partners I received the same type of emails. I really wonder if any of the male TH on this board get this type of thing or is it just the obvious factor that I am female by my username that someone thinks I am just going to just tell everything I know to anyone who asks ?

I made it very clear in my post that I was looking for serious committed partners who did their research. The email I received was obviously from a very lazy person who didn't want to do any of the work, only grab the finds.

I find it disappointing that someone would not take the art of TH to true heart, but also lacked ethics and real human character in contacting anyone on this forum.

There are pirates and there are treasure hunters. I advertised for Treasure Hunting partners, not for pirates.

While I feel that true partners can mesh their information together to maximize their hunting experience and share in finding those rare treasures, I am not here to do the hard work and then merely hand it all over to someone else to pillage and plunder any of my researched sites and dumping me cold out of the picture. I will hunt alone before I will communicate or hunt with a piranha.

To the person who wrote me: Your loss, not mine.

itmaiden

You should try gold mining some time! :laughing9:

I don't mind taking people out and showing them the ropes. I ask around work a few times a year if anyone wants to come out and learn a bit. Most are interested in checking out my gold collection and asking all sorts of questions, but few ever make it out on a prospecting trip. Of course when I come back from a really great weekend the first words are... " So when are we going?" ::)

Human nature and the decline of society. A lot of people want the goods handed to them with little to no effort. :icon_scratch:

Can't say much about being a woman as I ain't one, but I assure you your sex has little to no bearing on the letter you received. :wink:

Overeasy

May 7, 2008

I'm sorry that you have received some negative vibes, but that happens. I am a novice at all this, but I have posted some times asking questions about this or that....Some of the answers are, well, less than informative. But some are great, too. (However, I do appreciate a sense of humor)..Since I live close to your area, what is the area you explore, beach, intercoastal, or old sites. I have collected info over the years about the Sebastian Inlet area and find the history interesting. (i'm north of the inlet) I have to admit that I tend to do more armchair research than sweating but I get out there for many reasons. I have a interest in gold panning also, but not in Florida...
Overeasy, well, overeasy

Mar 25, 2012
Ocala National Forest, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I can't even be called a novice. However, I have done some research and located some honey holes, but,Alas!, I am the only one that will be allowed to hunt/dig. However, I do live in a beach town and I think that would be a good place to learn how to use my MD. Actually, if you are not too far away from Palm Coast, I am willing to pay to learn. I have a new Minelab E-trac. I probably should have gotten El Cheapo to learn on, but it is what it is. Anyone interested? I am female and would prefer a woman, but will take what I can get. :happysmiley:

Taz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread