Wood hunt 3.31.12 and a coin slug ID?

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Wood hunt 3.31.12 and a silver coin slug ID?

Headed out today to check out a new spot to hit and remembered more then half way there I forgot my shovel at home O_o..I blame my dog Lucas for that one as he was barking at me crazy to go to the woods,lol!!I found a local hardware store on the way there and picked up the last mini shovel on the peg!After getting to the area I started to find fired bullets and shotgun casings for next 2 hours..After digging up the smallest horse shoe I ever found on the very next target dug up a 187? shield nickel...After that and hr later I dug up a silver slug/coin,lol?I'm hoping that someone can tell what it use to be by the size of it and I don't have a scale to weigh it..I'll put a merc next to it for size comparison.Thanks and HH to all :skullflag:

P1010269.jpg

P1010271.jpg

P1010275.jpg

P1010286.jpg

P1010278.jpg

P1010288.jpg

Last edited:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Wow that is a tiny shoe! Sorry, no help here on that tiny round shiny.

Liking that nickel though!

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
slick half-dime maybe? nice hunt and great recovery method....the stout I mean

OP
OP
rob.s

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
slick half-dime maybe? nice hunt and great recovery method....the stout I mean

I was thinking the same on being a 1/2 dime and the stout was great!

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Congrats on the Shield Nickel! Those are rarer finds than seateds :hello2: As to the other coin, too bad. I'd soak it in acetone. once it is dried, with a bright light, hold it at different angles to look for any ghosting. It very likely could be a 1/2 dime, but it may also be something like a 1/2 Reale.

OP
OP
rob.s

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks guys! Without thinking twice I threw the shield in the rock tumbler for a hr's to clean it up some and it looks like a 1874..I'll try the acetone on it and hope it reveals something:skullflag:

OP
OP
rob.s

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the Shield Nickel! Those are rarer finds than seateds :hello2: As to the other coin, too bad. I'd soak it in acetone. once it is dried, with a bright light, hold it at different angles to look for any ghosting. It very likely could be a 1/2 dime, but it may also be something like a 1/2 Reale.

That's what I've hearing of late of the shield and probably wont find one again,lol!!Hey Jon,how long do I soak it in acetone?

Last edited:

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice shield nickel. Looks better than mine! is the slug 15.5mm or so in diam? Got any pictures of the nickel after the tumble? How did you like that stout?

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: very nice shield nickle. The silver might be a half reale, Its the right size.

OP
OP
rob.s

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice shield nickel. Looks better than mine! is the slug 15.5mm or so in diam? Got any pictures of the nickel after the tumble? How did you like that stout?

It fits perfect in a 15mm socket,lol and not sure the weight will reveal anything..The shield was in the tumbler for 6 hr's or so and I can't make out the date with the crude gone now..The brew was very tasty and had a G.I bourbon county right after and like the GI better .

thumbsup.gif
very nice shield nickle. The silver might be a half reale, Its the right size.

I have no idea what that coin looks like,lol!!

P1010342.jpg

P1010336.jpg

Last edited:

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
worn out half real? Lucky to find them in good readable condition ever. Look for NE and III and you have something dreams are made of.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread