Woodchip Therapy, Hot as a Pistol

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Hello everyone. Been a couple of weeks since my last hunt so I've not been posting much lately. I've been sidelined with a neck/shoulder injury that has had me sleeping upright in my recliner and eating muscle relaxers and pain pills like candy.
I still don't know how I came about the injury, but the when is fairly clear, the weekend of Halloween. I awoke that sunday with the worlds worst "crick" in my neck but I had to go to work so off I went. After being at work for only an hour and a half I couldn't take it anymore and came home and went to the urgent treatment center, I was in PAIN BIG TIME. I was a little bit scared to tell you the truth.. I've never hurt that bad before from my neck and shoulder. The attending doctor at the UTC examined me and poked and prodded around my neck and diagnosed it as a cervical strain. With a prescription for a muscle relaxer and some pain meds I went home to suffer. The meds did NOTHING at all for the pain, didn't even take the edge off. I was getting really scared now, this was just not right at all.. couldn't lay down (to sleep or anything else), I couldn't get comfortable even sitting up, I was miserable. I went back tot he UTC the next morning and the same doctor looked me over again then ordered x-rays, they showed nothing amiss, so he sent me home with prescriptions for stronger muscle relaxers and pain meds (naproxin)<rolling eyes>. No relief at all, and I missed a second day of work. I missed a third day the next day when I finally got in to see my regular doctor.. well.. his office anyway, I was seen by his Physician's Assistant (doctor light), who gave me a steroid shot, stronger meds again, and ordered MRIs. Two days later I went for the MRIs, and missed three more days of work.. still sleeping fitfully (short naps) in my recliner because I still couldn't lay down.
The following Monday morning I got to see my regular doctor. He went over the x-rays, and the MRIs and diagnosed me as having two slightly bulging disks in my neck and the swelling had pinched the nerve bundle coming from my right arm and shoulder. Again, stonger meds, and stronger muscle relaxers.. a series of stretching and strengthening exercises with a follow up appointment in a week. Tomorrow. *WHEW* it's been a miserable couple of weeks let me tell you. But, I am feeling better now. I can turn my head, if somewhat slowly, and I've gone back to work.. definitely taking it easy though. I actually slept in my bed last night for the first time in two weeks! WOOHOO!!!! And.. today.. I got out and detected a little bit!
I tell you, I was starting to get the shakes.. been two weeks of no detecting! I was JONESING MAN! I NEEDED A FIX AND BAD!
<laughing>
Today, here in Central Kentucky, it dawned cloudy and overcast.. and COLD. 32 degrees at sunrise and barely made it up to 37 degrees by 2:30 this afternoon. Still though, I dressed warmly and grabbed my Prizm IV and headed for a nearby park to check out the tot lot. Still kind of taking it easy don't you know.. <grin> Well the woodchips did me good. I may not have broke the bank by any stretch of the imagination, but I lots of targets and it was very very therapeutic to be swinging and digging again. I ended up hunting two small neighborhood parks.. the tot lots with woodchips anyway, though I did hunt the edge of the parking lot next to the tennis courts at one park. All clad, mostly pennies. I did find some trash metal of course.. pull tabs, odds and ends.. and even one pistol! Ok it's only a child's cap pistol, and it's missing its cylinder, but it's still kind of neat. <grin> Here's my pic of today's haul.. paid for my gas and eased my craving for this addictive hobby.

11-17-08 001.jpg

Maybe I'll get back to the soccer fields before too long. Weather permitting, and pain in the neck willing.. we shall see. As always..

Happy Hunting Everyone!

Frodov

Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
You be real careful buddy...ya don't wanna get too much strain on those already bulging discs and be in worse shape than before. Pure misery...so glad it is feeling better for you! You found some cool stuff as usual! Missed your posts!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Frodov , I was wondering what you were up to -and missing your posts as well- I'm happy to

hear your on the mend ! I too just had a strange and scary bout with a pinched nerve that caused

pain and nerve shock in both legs from the knees down to the feet. Man i could not get in a position

that would allow me to sleep , finally got some sleeping pills . Thankfully the symptoms have just

about gone away. This side of heaven , our health really is our wealth. All the best- Argentium.

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
THAT WAS A LOT TO GO THROUGH FOR FOR A HUNT AT THE TOT-LOT. HOPE YOU GET BETTER. BEST
OF LUCK. :thumbsup:

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer
Hey Frodov...glad your feeling better...been there and done that....except I ended up having surgery! Anyway, I think I found the cylinder to your capgun! :thumbsup: ;D

Attachments

• IMG_0516.JPG
    IMG_0516.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 814

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Good to hear that you are on the mend!

Kinda look forward to your posts, and noticed that I hadn't seen any.

Take good care of your back! Ever consider a chiropractor? I'm not sold on all of them, but when you find a really good one they can be worth their weight in wheat pennies!

HH
Mark

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
mpostma said:

Take good care of your back! Ever consider a chiropractor? I'm not sold on all of them, but when you find a really good one they can be worth their weight in wheat pennies!

HH
Mark

Actually I've had several Bone Breakers..er.. Chiropractors suggested to me by friends and family. <shudder> The thought of someone twisting and cracking my bones scares me... I mean it's one thing to pop your knuckles, it's an entirely different matter to let someone twist and crack your neck and spine. Gives me the willies just thinking about it. To be honest though, a couple of times in the past weeks I would have probably done it just to ease the pain I was experiencing at the time. I know I'm just a wimp with my low pain threshold, but desperate times call for desperate measures.
I went to my doctor again today, a follow up appointment to see how I was getting along with my recovery. My doc told me I will just have to be patient (no pun intended) and keep up the stretching and strengthening isometrics. It's still a mystery as to how this injury occurred in the first place. I don't recall anything that might have led to this at all... doc said it was probably a cumulative result of chronic or long term stress. Whatever. I'm still in pain, but the meds and stretching help and I'll just have to take it slowly till I'm back to 100%. For now though, I think I'll forgo the bone cracking.. <shudder> Thanks anyway.

Hope to get out do some hunting soon.. even if it's only for a short while.. Funny thing is.. that when I was detecting I really didn't hurt.. or at least my mind was on other things. <grin> Detector therapy! That's what it was!

Happy Therapy..er.. HUNTING Everyone!

Frodov

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer
Frodov said:
mpostma said:

HH
Mark

You don't have to know the source of the injury...almost alway chronic. I woke up w/the "crick" in my neck and had surgery one month later!

Actually I've had several Bone Breakers..er.. Chiropractors suggested to me by friends and family. <shudder> The thought of someone twisting and cracking my bones scares me... I mean it's one thing to pop your knuckles, it's an entirely different matter to let someone twist and crack your neck and spine. Gives me the willies just thinking about it. To be honest though, a couple of times in the past weeks I would have probably done it just to ease the pain I was experiencing at the time. I know I'm just a wimp with my low pain threshold, but desperate times call for desperate measures.
I went to my doctor again today, a follow up appointment to see how I was getting along with my recovery. My doc told me I will just have to be patient (no pun intended) and keep up the stretching and strengthening isometrics. It's still a mystery as to how this injury occurred in the first place. I don't recall anything that might have led to this at all... doc said it was probably a cumulative result of chronic or long term stress. Whatever. I'm still in pain, but the meds and stretching help and I'll just have to take it slowly till I'm back to 100%. For now though, I think I'll forgo the bone cracking.. <shudder> Thanks anyway.

Hope to get out do some hunting soon.. even if it's only for a short while.. Funny thing is.. that when I was detecting I really didn't hurt.. or at least my mind was on other things. <grin> Detector therapy! That's what it was!

Happy Therapy..er.. HUNTING Everyone!

Frodov

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
myelo1023 said:
Hey Frodov...glad your feeling better...been there and done that....except I ended up having surgery! Anyway, I think I found the cylinder to your capgun! :thumbsup: ;D

How'd that get down in Texas :D

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Update: Went back to see my doctor this past Tuesday, and while I'm still in pain and no where near back to 100% yet, I'm deffinately on the mend. Still eating the muscle relaxers and pain pills like candy, just not as often, and using my heating pad as well as doing my stretches and exercises. I even slept in my own bed the other night! *GASP* That might not sound like much of an accomplishment, but let me tell you, after sleeping sitting up in my recliner for two weeks it was like heaven! Still woke up several times when I got a stabbing searing pain if I tried to roll over or sleep on my side though. *sigh* My doc says I just have to be patient.. I knew it wasn't going to mend overnight or even in a few days.. but weeks ? Oh well.. one day at a time I guess. I'm back at work too, taking it easy for the most part, but I'm being productive. Now, if I can just find a window of opportunity or two.. or three.. to get out and detect a little bit when the pain is down, the sun is up, and it's not raining! <grin> Local forcast is calling for the possibility of snow showers tonight.. lows in the low 20's (f) Brrrr... And this is only NOVEMBER!?
Hope you are all well and getting out and indulging in this hobby of ours when you can.

as always.. Happy Hunting Everyone!

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
pookie said:
glad you're feeling better. musta been nice to get out

Thanks Pookie... yeah, it's nice to get out of the house.. still a pain in the neck.. LITERALLY.. but even going back to work is good. I'll be ever so glad when this stuff heals up and the pain goes away completely though. <smile>

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

catchdogcross

Sep 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Deleon, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Sorry to hear you're hurting. Just take it easy, even when detectoring, try not to use your right arm to swing. Hope you feel better real soon!
Catchdog

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
chiropractor works for me ....i have a bad back and neck (degenerative disc disease) and i haven't slept on a recliner in many years...good luck...hope you feel better soon ....and wean yorself from all those meds...you get used to them faster than you think

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
mistergee said:
chiropractor works for me ....i have a bad back and neck (degenerative disc disease) and i haven't slept on a recliner in many years...good luck...hope you feel better soon ....and wean yorself from all those meds...you get used to them faster than you think

I might be a wimp when it comes to pain tolerance, but I'm even more scared of "getting used to" pain meds. Besides, I've found that the Lortabs have a rather congestive side effect.. constipation! <blushing> No, as of my last follow up visit to my doctor, I've flipped my pain management routine.. Now I'm primarily combatting the pain with Ibuprofen... a BIG dose every 6 to 8 hours as needed, and the occasional Lortab to handle any "break through" pain as my doctor described it. In the past 6 days I've only used 4 Lortab now. The Ibuprofen is also an anti inflammatory med..reduces swelling and inflammation.. thereby lessening the pressure on my disks and the nerve bundle that was pinched.
Whew! I'm getting better, to be sure, but it's slow going. And, my right hand and arm still "feel" weak. I nearly dropped a gallon of milk this morning at breakfast while getting ready to go to work. Odd. Embarrassing! It's not the lack of strength, but the lack of sensation and controll due to the damaged nerves. That's going to take a while to mend I'm told. *sigh* THAT will be aggravating.

Happy Hunting Everyone!

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread