Woodchucks and ground squirrels gold in NC

Sluicedog

Jul 5, 2007
CT
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Garrett Gold Stinger, Garrett XL500 Pulse, 2" Sub-Dredge,Goldsnare SGS-1, ELF detector, MFD w/electronic detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worth a try!

But kinda sounds like one of the old writers that pulled an Aprils Fool joke about panning gold out of ant mounds ::) ;D Although anythings possible!

Ya never know till ya dig!

I should put that on a plaque ;D

OP
OP
Sluicedog

Sluicedog

Jul 5, 2007
CT
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Garrett Gold Stinger, Garrett XL500 Pulse, 2" Sub-Dredge,Goldsnare SGS-1, ELF detector, MFD w/electronic detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those animals do all the digging in gold country, I was hoping someone would have MD'd an animal digging pile. The digging piles might be a great prospecting tool to assay various areas. The soil could also be panned and carefully classified to verify if it had any gold.

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
There has been an article in the California Mining Journal about the value of using the dirt from ant hills as a good indication of gold at depth. Ant hills are built over cracks in the bedrock as it allows them access to water. So in the process of digging down they bring up whatever minerals are buried. Retired mining Engineer Dr. Ralph Pray in Los Angeles was the author by the way.

Randy

idigdirt

Mar 15, 2006
Epworth, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Compass xp-pro
Primary Interest:
Other
How about packrats? I did some interesting research on packrats a good many years ago. One interesting story was about the gold miner who upon emptying his pockets overnight on his stand in his shack out west was surprised to find that something had taken a bolt that he had on the stand. In it's place was a small gold nugget. The same thing repeated itself the following night. He went to his small coffee can, pulled the plastic lid off and started leaving either nuts, bolts or washers on his stand before he went to bed. For a good many nights he was rewarded with gold in place of nuts, bolts or washers. I'm sure the packrat either ran out of gold nuggets or got tired of nuts, bolts and washers. It was a very interesting article. They like pretty shiny things. Just one more way of utilizing treasure hunting skills. Find a packrats nest and you might be surprised whats been accumulated!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread