Woodmen of the world more than meets the eye ?

dougward5

Aug 30, 2014
ALABAMA
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
Well doug, good to see you here in kgc territory and welcome to some extremely interesting information ( that is, Untold history )
which has been purposely dodged, squandered, drowned, burned, removed,lied about,by our friendly little news media, public schools
etc., etc. I can not answer your question but I have thought along those lines many times but I am not one to stand still long enuff
to do any research and investigation ( R & I ). I sure hope you can get some answers here. ALSO get a copy of L. C.'s book to open up the untold history. Can you, without getting in trubble, post photos of the carvings you found? if so, someone on this thread can possibly give you good information . Thanks for your post.:coffee2::coffee2:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well doug, good to see you here in kgc territory and welcome to some extremely interesting information ( that is, Untold history )
which has been purposely dodged, squandered, drowned, burned, removed,lied about,by our friendly little news media, public schools
etc., etc. I can not answer your question but I have thought along those lines many times but I am not one to stand still long enuff
to do any research and investigation ( R & I ). I sure hope you can get some answers here. ALSO get a copy of L. C.'s book to open up the untold history. Can you, without getting in trubble, post photos of the carvings you found? if so, someone on this thread can possibly give you good information . Thanks for your post.:coffee2::coffee2:

MY understanding of these early "societies" like W.O.W. were Mutual Aid Societies (of their OWN members), then SOME became INSURANCE Companies for the "mass market" (non-members). Seen quite a few like that; Knights of Columbus is one...

OP
OP
D

dougward5

Aug 30, 2014
ALABAMA
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MY understanding of these early "societies" like W.O.W. were Mutual Aid Societies (of their OWN members), then SOME became INSURANCE Companies for the "mass market" (non-members). Seen quite a few like that; Knights of Columbus is one...

Correct ...and there were a LOT of them .. I know some like the Oddfellows ( sidenote Nathan Bedford Forrest was a member) Allowed a few other societies to meet in their halls or temples ...so i suspect a lot of crossover between them . will post a few pics of the w.o.w carvings in a bit

OP
OP
D

dougward5

Aug 30, 2014
ALABAMA
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
carvings

heart.jpg here is one carving

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
"Google" Benefits Societies... SOME had "CASTLES", that they met in...

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dougward5

Aug 30, 2014
ALABAMA
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you Rebel -I am semi well versed in what they did ..but what I am actually looking for is a connection to the Klan OTHER than William Simmons ...I suspect one might exist ..if so It ties a few things together I am looking in to ...My research is kinda oddball sometimes I know so y'all bear with me .... and thank you all for the warm welcome ...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Thank you Rebel -I am semi well versed in what they did ..but what I am actually looking for is a connection to the Klan OTHER than William Simmons ...I suspect one might exist ..if so It ties a few things together I am looking in to ...My research is kinda oddball sometimes I know so y'all bear with me .... and thank you all for the warm welcome ...

KKK...?

OP
OP
D

dougward5

Aug 30, 2014
ALABAMA
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yep ....the continuation of the K.G.C. ...at least some were , in my opinion ...FIRST Klan anyway Albert pike and Bedford Forrest etc. ..2nd had connections which is one of the sites i am researching .....not so much the 3rd ... just something I am looking into

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
yep ....the continuation of the K.G.C. ...at least some were , in my opinion ...FIRST Klan anyway Albert pike and Bedford Forrest etc. ..2nd had connections which is one of the sites i am researching .....not so much the 3rd ... just something I am looking into

OK...

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do to the fact that this organization was not founded until 1890 I doubt that they were anyway connected with the K.G.C. Albert Pike had nothing to do with the first or any Klan as he was too busy rewriting the Ritual of the Scottish Rite at that time. He was starting to working on the ritual right after the disaster at Pea Ridge. Nathan Bedford Forest was credited with starting and stopping the Klan in the 1870's. He claimed that he had nothing to do with the Klan but because of the area that it started in and his Rank in the C.S.A. he issued the order to disband. His men worshiped the ground he walked on and no doubt many of his men were members and would follow their old commander's orders. Gen. N.B. Forest was a Oddfellow he only took the first degree of Freemasonry but never went any farther.

I would say that some W.O.W. carved the design in a rock to tell passers by that this place had a woodman owner. I have seen the same masonic square and compass marked on farms and ranches. At that time in history there were many travelers that would stop at homes for there weren't motels. Lets not also forget that hobos would mark certain signs on post, rocks, or boards to mark what places to stop or who are friends and who weren't. Most of the K.G.C. activity took place over 150 years ago. Signs needs to be from 130 to 150 years old to be concerning the K.G.C.

S.D.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Do to the fact that this organization was not founded until 1890 I doubt that they were anyway connected with the K.G.C. Albert Pike had nothing to do with the first or any Klan as he was too busy rewriting the Ritual of the Scottish Rite at that time. He was starting to working on the ritual right after the disaster at Pea Ridge. Nathan Bedford Forest was credited with starting and stopping the Klan in the 1870's. He claimed that he had nothing to do with the Klan but because of the area that it started in and his Rank in the C.S.A. he issued the order to disband. His men worshiped the ground he walked on and no doubt many of his men were members and would follow their old commander's orders. Gen. N.B. Forest was a Oddfellow he only took the first degree of Freemasonry but never went any farther.

I would say that some W.O.W. carved the design in a rock to tell passers by that this place had a woodman owner. I have seen the same masonic square and compass marked on farms and ranches. At that time in history there were many travelers that would stop at homes for there weren't motels. Lets not also forget that hobos would mark certain signs on post, rocks, or boards to mark what places to stop or who are friends and who weren't. Most of the K.G.C. activity took place over 150 years ago. Signs needs to be from 130 to 150 years old to be concerning the K.G.C.

S.D.

AGREE!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread