Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In the late 60s or early 70s Shell Oil Company had a presidential series of similar tokens--given to customers on each visit to the pump. Some were instant (cash) winners. No doubt you'll find the SOC items at eBay to compare to yours.
Don.....

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find!!!! :thumbsup:

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Nice find! I don't think it's a Shell token, unless they made more than one style. I busted out my trusty Millard Fillmore Shell token that I found on one hunt. It's made out of aluminum and one side says "Shell's Mr. President Coin Game" Sounds like your's is more substantial.

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Odd, mt friend found a Harry Truman coin just like your a couple days ago, curious as to who made them, going to try to get it and take a pic!

OP
OP
eathabs

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you can see in the photos there is nothing to indicate that it was a Shell token. :-\

Hal

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Maybe its a one of a kind? given to him when he was sworn into office? that'd be worth like a million dollars. I like dreaming up stories.

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Searched almost a half hour for you. Could not find a singal think on this coin/token. Hopefully you find out what it is! Try going to your local museum or coin dealer. They may know! :thumbsup:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Shell Oil did make a President's collection in brass; here's one example, but it's still not the brass set that I was referring to.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1992-Shell-Oil-...kparms=72:552|39:1|65:12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

This is what I was originally referring to:
"In 1968, Shell offered a 'Mr. President' aluminum series struck by the Franklin Mint where participants could win prizes by completing game cards with specific presidential pieces. A complete set in bronze was also available."
Source: http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/vie...PresTokensSample.jpg,ShellPresTokensLinns.jpg

Don....

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
OP
OP
eathabs

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info guys. From what I have seen so far, all the Shell tokens have almost full frontal face shot. The local Whites dealer is into coins so I will have to visit him.

Tapoutking, still doing the hard driving metal detecting music? If so, any new stuff?

Plebah, I thought Clinton laid claim to the three dollar bill ;D ;D ;D

Thanks again guys :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hal

starwarsblazer

Jul 24, 2007
Portland, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
I found the Franklin D. Roosevelt token similar to yours but could find no information on it on the web. Mine was found at my old high school on the football field.

Greg

tapoutking

Jun 27, 2007
Simi Valley California
eathabs said:
Thanks for all the info guys. From what I have seen so far, all the Shell tokens have almost full frontal face shot. The local Whites dealer is into coins so I will have to visit him.

Tapoutking, still doing the hard driving metal detecting music? If so, any new stuff?

Plebah, I thought Clinton laid claim to the three dollar bill ;D ;D ;D

Thanks again guys :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hal

Ya, may be playing a couple of Vans Warped Tour dates again this year. San Diego or LA. I'll let ya know though.

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a Garfield token just like yours a couple of years ago. I ran home and did a search on it and found a set of 25 president tokens, for $10 with shipping included on Ebay. It had the exact Garfield token I had just found. All the tokens have the same layout. On the obverse, on the top is the # President U.S.A. and on both sides of his portrait are the years he served. Below is his name. On the reverse on top is his quote or his president nickname. Garfield has "Teacher President" on his token. Then it has a little blurb on the president of what he did or what he was famous for. Here's another token that was in the set

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rutherford-B-Ha...goryZ786QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

DougF

Mar 19, 2007
Maryland, USA
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
I think it's pre-WWII, because it refers to "president during World War". Apparently made before the world wars had to be numbered. Excellent find.

Lt1stone

Jan 25, 2008
Newkirk Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70, Gray Ghosts, Pro-Find 25
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! :thumbsup: I found three in my yard several years ago. John Adams, Franklin Pierce, Thomas Jefferson. They all are copper, and appear to have been plated at one time with possibly gold plate. Not sure what they are worth though. :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• pres tokens 003.jpg
    pres tokens 003.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 2,240

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread