mash by now.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Yes, I read somewhere that someone md'd there. They found some clad and the usual picnic/camping type trash. Wooohoo. As far as a potential nostalgia that might have value if you could claim, 100 yrs. from now, was found at Woodstock (a pot-pipe or whatever), it might be worth it. But otherwise, I would imagine coins and/or jewelry circulating in 1969 would be worth much.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably only way to make money would be to have an item documented as a genuine recovery, and put it in a plaque type mount & sell it as a tourist trinket either locally or on EBay.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boogeyman said:
Probably only way to make money would be to have an item documented as a genuine recovery, and put it in a plaque type mount & sell it as a tourist trinket either locally or on EBay.
Yup. Provenance is what sells an item.

papajos

Feb 11, 2009
Thanks for the idea. I could make a day trip out of that one. In fact my kid was just there last week. Something about the 40 yr ann. Which is funny because she wasn't even born yet in 1969!

400,000 music lovers most likely did drop a few coins and trinkets.....

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rumor has it that Jimi Hendrix, peaking on a 4 day acid trip, buried his guitar right after his set, as an offering to the gods !
I wonder what kinda signal a Strat would produce ?

But yeah, that could be interesting to swing around there, not sure I'd care to rummage through a 40 year old buried Woodstock trash pile though.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking about this last week after watching all the 40th anniversary shows. I was at that concert for one day as I was a counselor at T.M.R that year. :headbang: There were people still camping out throughout that area for the following 2 weeks.

Even though it was held in 1969 I am sure everyone was carrying much older coins like Rosies. Even today you are carrying some coins that are over 20 years old and think nothing of them. I may just take a swing up that way as I have another area to search about an hour away.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not quite the same, spartacus.
Everyone knew well in advance about the coming stoppage of silver coinage, and started hoarding them before 1964 even.

So yes, there were exceptions, but not the same as commonly having years old pocket change today.

Nah, I'm sure all the stuff wrapped in tinfoil has lost it's potency by now! Would be cool to sell a pipe that came from Woodstock. Probably big bucks! Find anything that could be linked to Hendrix, Joplin, etc. would be groovy. I would dig it. Can you dig it? :icon_flower:
Dave.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've often wondered if there is anyone around my age that wasn't at Woodstock. If everyone who said they were there was really there it would have been 4,000,000! There was a guy once here who was always talking about how bad it was in Nam and was showing off his medals. He was wounded and got a Purple Heart and a Silver Star for Valor and several other very high awards. He was made the marshall of the Veteran's Day parade. Come to find out he was never in Nam and never even in the military! He didn't stick around long after he was outed! Same thing with woodstock. One guy I knew was actually in Nam when Woodstock went down 'cause we ran around some after he got back from the war. People do strange things to draw attention to themselves. Me? I was sent to Woodstock by the Military to recruit for the Marine Corps and had to shoot 10 Viet Cong who had tunneled under the stage. Everything else is classified. Semper Fi! M :headbang: nty

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point, Monty. I lived in southeastern Oklahoma in Pushmataha county at the time and we didn't even know it was going on. Wound up not going to VietNam, either, although the lady at the draft board told me I could count on it. The local paper up here did a piece where they rounded up some actual Woodstock attendees who live around here now. I believe they really were there, as their stories were no where as interesting as you would think they would be.

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the woodstock 69 sight is now a tourist trap (which is against everything woodstock stood for)
i am sure that if you tried mding the area they would have you locked up
also they did bulldose everything including the tents left behind
a guess is that everything is down about 15 ft
as for the woodstock fest in saugerties its off limits for everything
hell cops stop ya if your walking by the field

wolfdog

Sep 24, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Monty said:
I've often wondered if there is anyone around my age that wasn't at Woodstock. If everyone who said they were there was really there it would have been 4,000,000! There was a guy once here who was always talking about how bad it was in Nam and was showing off his medals. He was wounded and got a Purple Heart and a Silver Star for Valor and several other very high awards. He was made the marshall of the Veteran's Day parade. Come to find out he was never in Nam and never even in the military! He didn't stick around long after he was outed! Same thing with woodstock. One guy I knew was actually in Nam when Woodstock went down 'cause we ran around some after he got back from the war. People do strange things to draw attention to themselves. Me? I was sent to Woodstock by the Military to recruit for the Marine Corps and had to shoot 10 Viet Cong who had tunneled under the stage. Everything else is classified. Semper Fi! M :headbang: nty
I was not there !!! I did buy the 8 tact.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have tripped up more than a few guys lying about combat service, including WW2 aged men.
I have what must be an above average knowledge of 20th century military history, and its pretty easy to trip guys up if its an area you know alot about.

For instance, this one old guy was telling me about his WW 2 adventures, which I always like to hear - Especially drunk at a wedding reception.
He was telling me how his battleship, the USS Houston, destroyed half the Jap navy, including other battleships, and also aircraft carriers.
He was also involved with Midway, Iwo Jima, Okinawa and the final surrender, courtesy of the USS Houston.

Many problems with a statement like that, as I was instantly aware.
Battleships were named after states, not cities.
There was a USS Houston, a heavy cruiser, which was sunk not long after Pearl Harbor after a gallant battle against impossible odds in the Java sea.
Those of the crew who were not killed in the battle itself or the subsequent sinking spent the rest of the war as prisoners ,,, So obviously this guys tales of his exploits throughout the war must have been fantasy.
I didn't feel like burning the old guy though, so I let him slide to tell a few more tales, then tried to show him that he wasn't fooling me.
I asked him how was his imprisonment under the Japs, I heard they were pretty rough.
Oh no he said, Japs never got their hands on him.
Really ? Wasn't the USS Houston sunk in Japanese controlled waters ?
Nope, must be thinking of something else, young man.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:

Too bad you missed a great show. As I said I was there for a day, which actually was the afternoon and only saw 3 acts. Richie Havens, Quicksilver Messenger Service and I forgot the third. No, I was not high :D
I just had to get back to camp before 10pm. It seems you are not familar with T.M.R Ten Mile River Boy Scout Camp. I was 16 and a C.I.T that year, and I returned to that camp for the next 2 years as a program director. Sometimes people do tell the truth. :laughing9: Bethel, NY was maybe 10 miles from my camp if that and we had to walk back as 17B was pretty much closed. In those days I had no car, no license, just a good thumb and a scout neckerchief to help get rides from the locals. I was up there earlier this year to visit the camp (Rondack) before it opened for the campers, but couldn't detect because the ground was too hard.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee, I'd hate to miss what Woodstock really stood for. Sex, drugs and rock and roll? Drop out, turn on and .....whatever else? I forgot in my drug crazed state. Aspirin and caffiene had me tripping man. I confess, I don't know what it really stood for. I confess I would have enjoyed some of the rock and/or roll, but not the stoned pot heads and drunks puking and urinating and defficating all over the place. I watched a piece on the tube about the cleanup after and it was more or less a cesspool with a horrible stench. I don't think I missed much. Monty

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I was more of an Altamont guy anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread