woodsy parking question

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
As I sit getting my car serviced I thought I'd proffer a question. As many of you can tell, I have an overactive imagination. Sometimes when we hunt the woods, there is no good parking anywhere nearby. Sometimes I have parked at nearby restaurants etc (they don't have any signs about parking for patrons only). Also, I have a really cool spot, which I have been researching, but I haven't gone to just cuz I don't want my car drawing attention. This spot has gravel patches on the shoulder. In the summer, sometimes people are parked there to fish in a lake, but if I were to park there now, I think it would draw suspicion. Have any of you had troubles parking, or am I just being a worry wort. When I am hunting, I am often worrying about my car getting a ticket or getting towed, and that detracts from my enjoyment.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have given up on some spots cause of fear of that same thing.

Sometimes I will case the area for street parking ( legal )

I have parked in restaurant spots or in hotel lots and even in Visitor Parking for complexes. ( I'm visiting your lovely park )

I have asked neighbors if I can park in a drive way for a bit while I do a park , since no street parking was allowed.

I went into a fire station just last year and asked if we can use 3 spaces...I got the ok.

Got one $25 ticket for parking by the FP ( No signs or anything posted )

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
So far, I haven't found a location that wasn't accessible by foot. Often, I park my car in the proper location and just hike it out. I've even waded across water to access areas that otherwise wouldn't be accessible.

I don't risk parking my car in questionable areas. I hate getting tickets. Not only that, but when your car isn't parked in a designated, well-trodden area, it is more susceptible to break-ins and theft. I have enough of that where I live day to day to risk it even more on the weekends! Ha.

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread