Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So you are on your knees in a different world as you dig for whatever treasure it is that you have located. You have wired ear buds in and are straining to both hear and feel your pin pointer as you check the hole. You finally get a response in the bottom side of the hole. Then out of nowhere, a loud "WOOF!" erupts right next to your head to the right! This is a very loud and deep WOOF and you suddenly are lying on your side as you look back to see the dog. It is a huge and beautiful Great Dane that is now looking down at you as it stands there waiting. First, you are thankful it is a non biting dog and then you are glad that your pants are both clean and dry.

The dog licks his lips and looks inquisitively at you like, you wanna play? So you pet his head and go back to your task. Just that quickly, his huge head nudges you over again. As you go to get up, you now can hear a man yelling at the dog to leave you alone. So, you pull your ear buds out to see and hear the owner as he tries to apologize for his dog. You smile and give the thumbs up as you put the ear buds back in and go back to your business. The prize, another pull tab of course. I glance back to see the man and dog as they walk elsewhere. I normally try to keep abreast of what is happening around me but a dog can move and cover ground pretty quickly. Dogs, they happen, sometimes they bite though. I can say that the deep loud woof of a Great Dane from about a foot or so away can really get your attention, even if it is a friendly woof.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story. I was up in the woods in NY a few decades ago, literally that long ago. I was listening for signal and get a "huff, snort, huff". Black bear within hugging range. It ran off. I also did not have to clean my clothes, but had gotten onto my back with the shovel in the defensive position. Must have scared him real good.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yes, one needs to have taken care of business before hand, it helps later

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bear I would have definately dropped something then threw it at him lol

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story Dirtlooter. I had a similar situation happen to me and a Doberman Pincher years ago while hunting a hilltop in West Atlanta. We scared each other to death. I was so glad his owner was nearby. I believe that is the worst I've ever been skeered by a dog.....and I mean suddenly skeered. Lol

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two summers ago I was detecting a Maryland park. Local place and of course I had a permit. It backs up to a lot of woods outside the cities. I was sitting for a quick break and this really big animals comes closer, it kinda sorta looked like a dog, but it was NOT a domestic animal. It appears it was a wolf/coyote hybrid, and a big one. bigger than a German shepherd and whitish in color. Once it smelled me it ran like all hades was after it. I left. I'm not a cat, I'm a big chicken.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Two summers ago I was detecting a Maryland park. Local place and of course I had a permit. It backs up to a lot of woods outside the cities. I was sitting for a quick break and this really big animals comes closer, it kinda sorta looked like a dog, but it was NOT a domestic animal. It appears it was a wolf/coyote hybrid, and a big one. bigger than a German shepherd and whitish in color. Once it smelled me it ran like all hades was after it. I left. I'm not a cat, I'm a big chicken.
.......and Thank Goodness, a live chicken.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luckily, I still have excellent hearing. My daughter tells me I can still hear a mouse pee on a cotton ball ! I usually hunt with only my left earphone on the ear, leaving my right side off so I can detect any animal or human intruders. It does help. When I'm deer hunting, I typically hear a deer snapping twigs, or walking thru the leaves before I see it. It gives me a huge advantage when I can tell which direction it is coming from. Hopefully my hearing will be good for quite a while.

mopakarim4000

Jul 19, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two summers ago I was detecting a Maryland park. Local place and of course I had a permit. It backs up to a lot of woods outside the cities. I was sitting for a quick break and this really big animals comes closer, it kinda sorta looked like a dog, but it was NOT a domestic animal. It appears it was a wolf/coyote hybrid, and a big one. bigger than a German shepherd and whitish in color. Once it smelled me it ran like all hades was after it. I left. I'm not a cat,my ip birthday wishes tneb I'm a big chicken.

Nice story. I was up in the woods in NY a few decades ago, literally that long ago. I was listening for signal and get a "huff, snort, huff". Black bear within hugging range. It ran off. I also did not have to clean my clothes, but had gotten onto my back with the shovel in the defensive position. Must have scared him real good.

Last edited:

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine was a Great Pyrenees. On my knees, looking down, when I had the feeling I was being watched. I looked up and almost fell over backwards. He was on a leash, straining to look down the hole with me. His name is Phillip. I see him often, and exchange waves with his owner.

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dont throw anything at a bear, just stand up tall and quietly back away, most of the time they will ignore you, i was hunting some tailings years ago in Ak, i heard a noise, looked around and saw 3 Brown bears slowly walking by, they were just having a conversation, but i got on my 3 wheeler soon and left... Another time for that spot.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread