Nashvegas

Aug 9, 2017
Nashville TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705
Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been detecting for about a month now, going out almost every day for a couple hours or so. My dream has been to find a civil war bullet because I am fascinated by the history of the civil war and I'm in Nashville where some decisive battles took place in the area. But so far I've just found clad, a couple cool older iron things like a horseshoe, and a couple wheats. Over the weekend my boys and I tried a baseball field and only found clad, but this morning I woke early and went there again by myself. Was getting signals jumping all around, so I just dug everything. Tons of old nails. Then this... and my heart literally stopped for a few seconds.

IMG_0145.JPG

I am so thrilled. I can't believe my luck. I would love some help identifying the caliber. Here are pics with measurements.

IMG_0144.JPG
IMG_0143.JPG

I also found this earring and tiny pendant somewhat nearby. I'm thinking these are modern right?

IMG_0142.JPG

Upvote 23

Busch0704

Jul 22, 2017
Anderson, SC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So flippin awesome!!! Congrats...i too hope to find a CW bullet or rev war musket ball or the alike:)

Samsung S8+

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your CW bullet. A great find for anybody...very cool..:thumbsup:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your first three ringer. Those Northern scallywags dropped that one, whilst running from the men in gray coats!

Best of luck to you sir.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! You'll never forget your first. Looks like a 69 Cal Mini ball to me. If you can mic it with digital calipers then you can tell for sure. Looks right to me. Congratulations [emoji106]

HH, RN

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
what a pretty one to find, congrats

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Civil War bullets are really cool to find because you know the last person to hold them before you were the soldiers who were fighting the war!

OP
OP
N

Nashvegas

Aug 9, 2017
Nashville TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705
Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think 69 caliber minie ball is probably right. Those .58 calibers look too narrow

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! You'll never forget your first. Looks like a 69 Cal Mini ball to me. If you can mic it with digital calipers then you can tell for sure. Looks right to me. Congratulations [emoji106]

HH, RN

It look's like a 'Big .69' to me as well , with a Neat looking Cavity 'gonna look closer at that one' ; Very nice patina as well.

Funny.....My first Civil War Bullet ( a-'Suspect' fired .31 cal was the first) but my first for Sure bullet was found on a Softball Field , it was a fired Williams Type 3 Cleaner W/O it's Zinc post.

You will always remember the First & of hopefully many more , You got a Nice 'First'.

P.S IMO your Jewelry pieces are modern .
Davers

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first CW bullet :occasion14: As others stated, it looks like a .69 caliber dropped. The calibers for Civil War bullets are in imperial values. So .69 Caliber is 0.69 inches wide. So best to measure them in inches and not in millimeters (unless you convert millimeters to inches after) After you dig a few more of them, the common widths like .45, .54 and .58 will be easier to eyeball. That .69 is a big bullet and it being dropped is a good sign, so hit that place hard.

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
I have a question about CW bullets. I too have found a 3 ringer and some mini balls and I can close my eyes and picture some battle. My issue is that this type of ammo was used before, during and way after the CW for civilian use. How does one determine when and for what reason the ammo was used?

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a question about CW bullets. I too have found a 3 ringer and some mini balls and I can close my eyes and picture some battle. My issue is that this type of ammo was used before, during and way after the CW for civilian use. How does one determine when and for what reason the ammo was used?

Minie is the last name of the French guy that invented the bullet... all three ringers are Minie balls.

These were NOT used much prior to the CW, and were not used afterwards. Minie balls are the quintessential CW relic. For the most part, they were only used to shoot people during the CW.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minié_ball

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/quintessential

I couldn't resist...

Last edited:

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Awesome CW 3 ringer!! Still on my bucket list. Congrats and HH

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
69, 58, CW BULLET IS A NICE FIND.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one FINE specimen of an old white patina Civil War dropped bullet. Well done. Quintessential civil war relic.:laughing7:

OP
OP
N

Nashvegas

Aug 9, 2017
Nashville TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705
Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all of the congrats, everyone. I've been thinking today that I've never quite felt the emotion I felt when I turned over the plug and sifted through and found the bullet shaped item and then quickly rubbed it off and realized it was a civil war bullet. The shock and awe, after finding mostly clad for my first 30 days of detecting, must be like when someone realizes they've got a winning lottery number. Of course, I wouldn't mind a winning lottery number too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions