Nashvegas

Aug 9, 2017
Nashville TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705
Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been detecting for about a month now, going out almost every day for a couple hours or so. My dream has been to find a civil war bullet because I am fascinated by the history of the civil war and I'm in Nashville where some decisive battles took place in the area. But so far I've just found clad, a couple cool older iron things like a horseshoe, and a couple wheats. Over the weekend my boys and I tried a baseball field and only found clad, but this morning I woke early and went there again by myself. Was getting signals jumping all around, so I just dug everything. Tons of old nails. Then this... and my heart literally stopped for a few seconds.

IMG_0145.JPG

I am so thrilled. I can't believe my luck. I would love some help identifying the caliber. Here are pics with measurements.

IMG_0144.JPG
IMG_0143.JPG

I also found this earring and tiny pendant somewhat nearby. I'm thinking these are modern right?

IMG_0142.JPG

Upvote 23

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question about CW bullets. I too have found a 3 ringer and some mini balls and I can close my eyes and picture some battle. My issue is that this type of ammo was used before, during and way after the CW for civilian use. How does one determine when and for what reason the ammo was used?

Very Good Question.
This has crossed my mind many ,many times.

The answer is a long one & has many factors that go into it.

Best answered by T-net Member 'The Cannon Ball Guy' as his knowledge is far above mine

My 9th Grade Education (answer)

As for before the War , ammo was mostly Buck .69-.71 Caliber (also buck & ball) .
I'm sure there were a few rifles set up for 'Sporting' ie, smaller caliber.

During the war many advancements were made in Bullets/ Cartridges.
& The Rifle to easier to carry carbine .

Near the end of the War things were IMO really moving toward Self Contained Cartridges like Rim-Fire .
Hence the Spencer Rifle & Henry rifle "load on Sunday shoot all week" .

I'm pretty sure that by a few years after the war , Rifle , Cartridge tech , had moved on past the Minnie & round ball .

I suspect the Spencer / Henry Rifles saw years of use after the War (The Henry took on the West they say).
Older rifles using the Minnie were still used ill bet esp in the poor South.

That said No 'Doubt ' we relic hunters have found Civil War Bullets that were shot /dropped after the war.
Hmmm, guess the were mfg, during or right after the War ..So CW Era ???

Knowing the History of the Area you made the Bullet find will give one their biggest clue as to when it was shot.

By advancements in the war & Ammo the type of Big .69 cal the OP found was used a-lot early in the war but by Mid -late 1864 here near Atlanta that type is a pretty rare find , mostly .58 & .54 Caliber and 50??? Cal Cartridges for Carbines are found.

Hope this makes since .

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
So after the civil war they just threw away all those weapons and ammo 🙄

Timfromholland

Sep 4, 2017
Assen
Detector(s) used
Xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gj on the find that feeling is what keeps us all gooing i tink .
goodluck on ur next hunts

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Looks like either a .69 or a .70 caliber plug based bullet. Good find!

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check 31w at the crossing of the Red River

Mike N Tn.

Jul 1, 2008
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600,
and Fisher F75
Congratulations! - Relic hunting is a great hobby. You will find
many relics as Nashville is a great place to detect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread