Woolly Mammoth or Columbian Mammoth?

Fossil Hound

Feb 29, 2024
Mississippi
I purchased this molar, to add to my humble collection; but it came without any location information.

My understanding is; that if it's from the 48 contiguous states, it's likely a Columbian Mammoth molar. If it's from north of the 48 contiguous states, it's likely a Woolly Mammoth molar. There are also a large number of Mammoth fossils being caught in fishing nets, in the North Sea.

20240307_221257.jpg
20240307_221510.jpg
20240307_221417.jpg
20240225_002437.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh! That thing just gave me a little inspiration in biomimicry.

OP
OP
Fossil Hound

Fossil Hound

Feb 29, 2024
Mississippi
I'll ask my fossil buddy & get back to you. Probably just store it somewhere safe and it will be ok.
@newnan man I believe this tooth has already been sealed and hardened. I was just curious what might have been used to do such things? I purchased it from a dealer at a show. I have no way to follow up with him.

On the commercial side of things, I noticed that half the time; the dealers themselves nor the employees working in the booth, know where half of their fossils are from. They are just buying and selling "stuff", and aren't keeping good documentation for the specimens.

The stuff from Morocco is easy to recognize at these shows, due to its coloration. Everything else is a question mark

Last edited:

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
@newnan man I belie
Screenshot_20240311_162001_Photos.jpg
ve this tooth has already been sealed and hardened. I was just curious what might have been used to do such things? I purchased it from a dealer at a show. I have no way to follow up with him.

On the commercial side of things, I noticed that half the time; the dealers themselves nor the employees working in the booth, know where half of their fossils are from. They are just buying and selling "stuff", and aren't keeping good documentation for the specimens.

The stuff from Morocco is easy to recognize at these shows, due to its coloration. Everything else is a question mark
You are correct. Fossils are bought and resold by dealers all the time. My friend has people who restore them and are quite good at it. He will buy entire collections as cheap as possible then fix them up & resell them. This is one in his lab he is restoring right now.

OP
OP
Fossil Hound

Fossil Hound

Feb 29, 2024
Mississippi
You are correct. Fossils are bought and resold by dealers all the time. My friend has people who restore them and are quite good at it. He will buy entire collections as cheap as possible then fix them up & resell them. This is one in his lab he is restoring right now.
Nice. I once had a mineral dealer tell me, he didn't really know much about fossils. He said he had bought a man's collection, and was selling off the pieces.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread