worked glass?.. I think so

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
these came from a site I have found middle archaic stemmed points. and artifacts leading all the way up to european contact. really good spot. just thought you guys might like to look at something a little different. the notch on that scraper looking piece has even been ground smooth. then someone took grinding to the extreme. that piece is a razor sharp

ForumRunner_20120620_200416.png

ForumRunner_20120620_200515.png

ForumRunner_20120620_200058.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey doug.. here's the back I hope this helps. I can't get over how to use in the ark is. must have been something pliable a enough to bend around it and spin while bent. maybe a sin green piece of cain and sand. and a lot of elbow grease. pretty cool though huh

ForumRunner_20120621_073208.png

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's supposed to say I can't get over how even the ark is.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks harry

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well everybody will disagree with me on this. In later years of the historic era around the mid 1700's, flint knapping started to become a lost art amongst the Plains tribes. They had established trade with the Spanish, and metal points became the norm, either manufactured from captured metal or obtained in trade for points specifically made for trade. Probably not an art really lost, but just not used as there were other means available for points. In the reservation years into the 20th century, they would flake points from glass, mainly for the tourist trade. The material was easily available, and some of it worked good like obsidian. Ishi (look him up, California Indian) flaked points from beer bottle glass in the museum for viewers. Metal points came into vogue due to contact with the white man. They were evil in that if they hit a bone they would clinch up, which would make extraction hurt like h*ll. The Indians knew about peritonitis, so they might shoot for your navel, stone or metal point no matter.

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
any old stick him use for bow but arrows kill deer

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry but i would have to say, just historic, i know everyone will say the indains did it. but knapping has been around for ages, there are zillions of knapped glass arties dating way back to 1800s. so what im saying is that lots of people find glass in a field and try and knapp on it a bit and throw it down. i have found broken archaic style points in my fiels made of glass,lol. im guilty of this too.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just felt I should add.. those came from a Ais indian village site in florida. they are now extinct as a people. they were the most numerous tribe in east central florida when the spanish arrived in the 15 hundred's. by the 17 hundreds there were only a few remaining. no tourists for these guys.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I found this thumbnail scraper made from bottle glass in a backyard garden in Micanopy, Florida. It was among clay pipe stems and bits of crockery scattered in the soil.

Micanopy was the first American settlement, founded in 1821, after Florida was ceded to the USA by the Spanish. The American settlement and fort were preceded on the site by the Seminole village of Cuscowilla, built at the crossing of two ancient Indian trails. William Bartram visited Cuscowilla in 1774.

My guess is that this bottle-glass tool dates to early in the contact period, since the Seminoles would have had access to metal tools later.

The glass is "black glass" which is actually a dark olive-green or olive-amber. Black bottles such as the one in the image would have been typical utility bottles from the late 1700s through the 1830s. In fact, they are known as "fort bottles" in Florida because they are found around Seminole Wars forts and encampments.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you harry. there were almost identical circumstances at the site my pieces came from.

PrimitiveOne

Mar 30, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Eyeballs 2
Primary Interest:
Other
It is definitely worked and could be a scraper. Even though metal became the favorite for points, stone was still used. A colonial piece of glass would appear to a non contact native to be an awesome piece of flint. And they would certainly use it. I'm sure that the early trappers and traders had glass and may had knapped them for tools too. Also a fun fact: Stone holds up pretty well against bone and will shatter some time. But the Native American's figured out that when this rock breaks it breaks at a surgical edge, so when an arrow head chips or brakes it still cuts. Here is a modern arrowhead I made from an broken ashtray. And trust me it is sharp.
DSC08893.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread