worked meg tooth????

paleoheadhunter

Sep 24, 2005
I picked this up at the fossil and artifact show here yesterday.The guy had a bunch of teeth that were broken and I saw this one.I asked him 3-4 times about the sidenotches and the edge work along the enamel,but he never understood what I was talking about so I offered him 20.00 and he agreed.I've seen pictures before of worked teeth and I swear this has got to be one.I'm not sure if you'll be able to see the edge work in the pic.If not I'll post another.Either way,it looks good in my case.Thanks!! HH!!GL!! PALEO

Attachments

• meg.jpg
    meg.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 466
  • meg2.jpg
    meg2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 474
Upvote 0

arm66

Oct 25, 2007
NE Ohio....Mahoning County
I have a few meg teeth that I found in the water and a couple look like that. The "waist" at the top is likely where the enamel wore off and the pith eroded. See how the natural lines in the pith follow the contour of the waist. Most likely it is natural damage from weathering.

OP
OP
paleoheadhunter

paleoheadhunter

Sep 24, 2005
Downindixie,That's what I think too..I don't understand how the root would wear naturally to look like side notches.Also the entire edge of the enamel is chipped exactly the same all the way around,kinda like serrations.GL!!HH!! PALEO

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
paleoheadhunter said:
Downindixie,That's what I think too..I don't understand how the root would wear naturally to look like side notches.Also the entire edge of the enamel is chipped exactly the same all the way around,kinda like serrations.GL!!HH!! PALEO
Agreed Paleo, I think you made a good purchase there.
Jeff

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
Looks different, that's for sure.

Hey, PHH, how come you never got back with me? anyhow, email me if you are still up to do some hunting.

arm66

Oct 25, 2007
NE Ohio....Mahoning County
paleoheadhunter said:

I have two from a North Carolina beach that look just like that near the base. Both are worn into narrowed waists. I found them myself in an inlet so I thought they must be natural...not worked. I could be wrong on yours but I don't think mine are worked and they look pretty similar...at least to the photos anyway. Mine are a bit smaller too so who knows. I hope yours is worked because that is pretty exciting. I'm pretty certain mine are just boring old meg teeth.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like that. I would believe it is worked. Great find & great buy!

;) RR

OP
OP
paleoheadhunter

paleoheadhunter

Sep 24, 2005
Thanks for the replies everyone, Actually I would be very happy to find some meg teeth.I've got a jar full of small fossil shark teeth from when I lived in S.FL,but I've never found any good size megs.

Hey Aeromike,I've been picking up weekends at work,but went to that spot I found NW of us I did pretty good after work today.In the first 30 mins. I found a few hand tools and finally a broken base (kirk I think)
Then I stopped by a couple plowed peanut crops and found a scraper and a wolf tooth(another I think).I'll email you or get back to me.Im cutting out of work early tomorrow(sun.) to go back.

Thanks again for the replies!! HH!!GL!! PALEO

Here's a pic of a beginning case of GA finds I threw together.Also my two cases of my favorite FL finds(except the meg tooth!)
Can anyone verify the tooth if you can make it out in the pic???

Attachments

• 100_0513.jpg
    100_0513.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 276
  • 100_0514.jpg
    100_0514.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 273

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
Very nice displays. I hope you find a ton more stuff.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda looks like a Chubutensis tooth instead of a Meg by the shape it might be naturally that shape.

Last edited:

masonh

Jun 24, 2010
Pretty sure it's a meg, chub utensis would have vestigial cusp lets near the root, what about that point in the frame on right? Top left, looks kinda paleo to me

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if he will answer this is a friend of mine this post is about 6 years old I'm trying to see if I can pull him from the woodwork.
And about those cusps.. It's very likely they didn't survive the apparent damage on that one... And they're not very visible on all specimens especially after damage and wear.

mQam37sG-TEDGgY8PYdw1OQ.jpg

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who knows worked ones are definitely out there

MW18.JPG

mineralized_miner

Dec 2, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster GT
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very well worked and worn, but a steal for $20!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old thread but it sure does look nice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread