Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's M6, Nokta Legend, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Working a route? & Mapping programs

I was just wondering if anyone has set up a "route" where they visit the same banks periodically?

I thought it might be beneficial to note the dates where I took all a bank's halves and then visit them every 4-6 months to get any new stuff they might have gotten in. Anybody have any experience at this?

Also, I'd like to know if there is any software anyone is familiar with where I can enter the various addresses of various banks and it would figure out the shortest route. I've seen lots of programs that will provide routes in the order that you put in the addresses. I'm looking for one that will give the shortest route regardless of the order I put in the addresses.

I'll look forward to your replies.

Thanks,

Phillip

Upvote 0

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Re: Working a route? & Mapping programs

Yes, i visit the 8 banks in my town (all within walking distance) about once a month. Usually i dont get much but every so often a red seal two dollar bill, a 40%er, or a proof will show up. I reccomend it!

Use google earth for the mapping it works great!

-CC

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

That does sound like a very good plan. Would be even better if you could possibly get some of the banks to give you a call if someone turns in a pile of halves.

Rev

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST

Some banks hardly ever have or keep their halves. Others will stock pile them. After a few visits you should get a feel for which is which. The question is with the banks that stock pile is how long it takes them to get a decent amount. Thats how long you should wait between trips. Also, if someone else is competing with you, you may have to go on a more regular basis. Another thing to keep in mind is that banks that have more business clients may have a better chance of having good coins. Especially, gas stations, candy stores, arcades and other places for the kids to spend their parants coin collections. If the coins come into the banks already rolled then the tellers will be less likely to have cherrypicked the stash.

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX

I have a route that I try to stick to. I travel across state quite often, and I know where all the banks are, where the banks with coin machines are, where the coinstars are, and even where the banks that obviously have "Roll Searching" customers. On a good day, I will start at the furthest point & work my way back. I always try to cash the coins out , and move on to the next town. You can take $500, and rotate it several times in one day. I do not do this with nickles, or pennies , unless I know I will be stuck somewhere for a while.

Paul

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST

Paul, are you just looking for silver or are you checking with a magnifier for errors etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread