Working by a loading dock can be nice

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
A few years ago I worked in the basement of my office building and was located right beside the loading dock. That was really neat because they had a couple Dumpsters there. One was for cardboard and the other for general trash. They also had an area for scrap metal and wood. I used to get all sorts of stuff without even diving. When an office would update all their computers, all the boxes would wind up downstairs. When the flat screen monitors first came out, they would come with 2 different cables and most of the time whichever one they didn't use wound up in the box, going to the trash. I found dozens of those cables as well as installation CDs. One guy even found one of the "Smart" white boards that you hook up to your computer and you can print out whatever you draw on it. He even asked the guard if he could take it home. He was given the go ahead and he wound up with a $1k board for free. Of course, he had to pony up the $100 for the cable, but he still came out way ahead.

A lot of the stuff that I would find would get reused in my office. Another great thing was that I was selling a lot of stuff online at the time and I had no shortage of good, free shipping boxes and packing material. I also made use of these boxes when I moved.

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
......Similar office but a well known Video game company shared our dumpsters. OMG, so many beta game disks and hard copy scripts . One disc yielded the Full Schematic of the Stars Ship Enterprise....no characters at all and navigation to wander complete!
My Son was one popular 12 year old !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread