Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE: NEW PICTURES OF A LIFELONG GOAL!
see below.

I wandered around the mansion again today. The hits are very few and very far between now. :dontknow:

But, there is an air of possibility around the place that I just love trying. :)

Overall:

IMGA3450.JPG
IMGA3452.JPG

When I dug this I only saw a tiny portion of this side. Seeing the silver and the lines in the surface and the fact that it hit with a solid 90 VDI, I figured, THIMBLE!!!

IMGA3451.JPG

BOY! I was I ever wrong! LOL

IMGA3453.JPG
IMGA3454.JPG
IMGA3455.JPG
IMGA3456.JPG
IMGA3457.JPG

Then, having had enough of not finding the more "interesting" finds. I declared that the gloves were
coming off! So to speak. :)

What I meant was that I was ready to get down to some very serious hunting for those elusive, deep, deep down hits that sound like coins. I set the machine to all metal pro mode and turned sensitivity all the way up! It was full speed ahead!!

I put the coil on the ground and swung 2 or 3 times. Listening for those little signals masked inbetween the iron ones. Figuring to hear the faintest whisper of anything good being hidden by the iron. It got plenty noisy! But, I was ready to find them! The game was on!!

Of course, on the 4th swing, I got this BLARINGLY obvious penny hit! Right on the surface! I said, "OK, so I'll start my fine tuned hunt after I get this stupid zincoln out of my way."

Here's what I saw after I turned over the 1 inch plug:

COPPER1.jpg
COPPER2.jpg

I just LOVE my AT-Pro!!! It plays some of the funniest pranks on me!

Longer story shortened; I got it home and started trying to clean/identify this mystery disk my machine was so kind to give me right on the surface. It is an interesting size and make up. Copper of some sort for sure. But, it appears to be rather old! :)

I'm going to take my time trying to get details but here's what I've got so far.

Anyone good at recognizing profiles/busts on coins?

IMGA3458.JPG IMGA3459.JPG

Only have what I figure is the obverse so far. The back has some heavy crusted dirt on it and I'm working it very slowly.

I'll update as I get more detail.

Thanks for peeking!

HH!

UPDATE!

If I read this right I have FINALLY broken into the 1700's!!! :)

IMGA3461.JPG

I don't think I'll clean on it much more. Don't think I'll gain much more than the knowledge that I may have finally reached a lifelong goal. :) I think I can make out 1794 & BRITAN??? Plus a seated figure.

What say the experts? I've never been here before. ;)

IMGA3460.JPG
IMGA3462.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 3

VERMONTIS

Mar 27, 2013
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites PI 1000, whites xlt, whites v3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mansion pays out again:occasion14: Kinda looking like a early copper, Cant wait for a update. =ED

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it could be 18th century - Maybe Don or IP can figure out this puzzle .

Welp, I've just uncovered a couple more hints. See the updates above. ;)

Thanks!
HH!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool. congrats on that 1700's goal :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appears to be a 1724 George I. Congrats!

Ya know, I THOUGHT I was seeing 1724 but I didn't even dare to believe my eyes! But, I do believe you've nailed it on the head!

One thing I'm unsure about. How did people tell what the coin was if it didn't say? Penny, Half-Penny, Farthing, confusing, eh wot! LOL

THANKS for the ID!!!

This just became a WHOLE lot awesomer!!!! :)

I finally made colonial!!

Just think, in trying for 1700's I almost missed the whole century! LOL

HH!

Last edited:

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They go by size. Half pennies size of large cents. Farthings are the size of quarters and pennies I believe are about the size of large cents too. You can tell its a KGI by the large border and young looking head style. Very awesome. You dipped well into the 18th century.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They go by size. Half pennies size of large cents. Farthings are the size of quarters and pennies I believe are about the size of large cents too. You can tell its a KGI by the large border and young looking head style. Very awesome. You dipped well into the 18th century.

Once in a lifetime thing for me. Not every day I find a coin nearly 300 years old AND can still read something! :)

Thanks again!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you were able to read a date on that copper and get some ideas about it! Congratulations on breaking into the 1700s!

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crazy isn't it? I got my first (and only) colonial recently, a 1732 half penny. About 2.5 inches down. (yesterday I got excited over what turned out to be an eaten-up zincoln about 5 inches deep). And yours was really shallow! Anyhow, fantastic find. Congrats!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crazy isn't it? I got my first (and only) colonial recently, a 1732 half penny. About 2.5 inches down. (yesterday I got excited over what turned out to be an eaten-up zincoln about 5 inches deep). And yours was really shallow! Anyhow, fantastic find. Congrats!

Yeah, it is very crazy. But I love it all! :) I figure mine was that shallow due to the restoration of the grounds that had gone on here. Dirt got moved around and so, things get moved. Kind of like plowing in the fields.

In any case, this is the oldest coin I have found in my whole "career". Like I said, not every day one digs up a 300 year old coin. I know there are a LOT of them posted here but that kind of gives a false impression. Not that they ain't out there, just that, on average, there are very, very few detectorists who find ANYTHING from last century. Let alone three ago! :) Just look at how many that say they haven't even found a silver coin after many years!

When I'm blessed enough to have something special happen like this, I am VERY, VERY grateful and appreciative! It's the epitome of this hobby for me. A coin, from 3 centuries ago! It doesn't get much better than this. :)

HH!

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it's kind of cool to think that whoever dropped that coin had probably never even heard or George Washington or the "United States of America"

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it's kind of cool to think that whoever dropped that coin had probably never even heard or George Washington or the "United States of America"

Yep! This coin deserves much respect. If only for surviving for soooooo long during a very hard life. I'm glad I have the chance to put it up in the prime spot of my collection as the single oldest coin I've ever found. That it can still be read, identified are just plain icing. A banner find for me, plain and simple. One I won't ever forget. Not one that'll ever find it's way up top here, (mostly because it's not gold ;) ), but banner all the same.

Thanks!
HH!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man that was a nice bench mark. They have to be there to find them. Nice one for sure.:thumbsup:

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:hello2:Way to go Whadifind, that more awsome than your usual, awsome finds:notworthy:

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man that was a nice bench mark. They have to be there to find them. Nice one for sure.:thumbsup:

Yeah, it's a real pleasure for any who spend most of a lifetime doing this. To save a coin from that far ago. I am happy.

Here's the best I can do for cleanup. He's going to stay like this except being put on a pedestal. ;)

HALF_PENNY1.jpg
HALF_PENNY2.jpg

Thanks!

HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread