lucky2base

Greenie
Jan 11, 2013
Pacifica, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250 Ace
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking about changing my name to "worm killer" - am I the only one that feels bad for chopping worms in half when making a plug? I live at the beach and we have mostly thick clay for dirt, so I am surprised that there are that many worms living in it. Big, thick purpley earth worms, so gross.

I have found some interesting things the last few days, but am starting to think more about the worms I am killing than what might be underground. Do worms live if they lose part of their bodies?

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are refering to earthworms, normally if they are severed somewhat below the ''ringed'' section (to the right of the ringed area), they will continue to live and may regrow that part that was removed.

v0_master.jpg

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe a earthworm has 5 hearts...just like me.:laughing7:

SS

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it was 9?
I don't really think they are hearts, but do have a organ that acts like a heart...aortic arch, which for simplicity's sake is called a heart. It has 5 of these, so don't chop it up to many times.:laughing7:

SS

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wrong! After some more research, they have five ''pair'' of hearts.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I am thinking about changing my name to "worm killer" - am I the only one that feels bad for chopping worms in half when making a plug? I live at the beach and we have mostly thick clay for dirt, so I am surprised that there are that many worms living in it. Big, thick purpley earth worms, so gross.

I have found some interesting things the last few days, but am starting to think more about the worms I am killing than what might be underground. Do worms live if they lose part of their bodies?

Yes, I'm sure you are running afoul of some law, somewhere, that prohibits you from killing wild-life like that. Shame on you. So cease metal detecting immediately, and send me $100 (I accept paypal), and I will forgive you, and absolve your conscience of all guilt. No, don't thank me, it's just the least I can do for the furtherance of our fine hobby.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really think they are hearts, but do have a organ that acts like a heart...aortic arch, which for simplicity's sake is called a heart. It has 5 of these, so don't chop it up to many times.:laughing7:

SS

If I remember corectly, aren't these ''hearts'' located in that ''banded'' area?

OP
OP
L

lucky2base

Greenie
Jan 11, 2013
Pacifica, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250 Ace
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, well, I'm glad to know that their hearts will keep beating even after losing half their bodies...at least there isn't any blood. Or screaming.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember corectly, aren't these ''hearts'' located in that ''banded'' area?
Part of an earthworm's body will grow into an entirely new worm if it is cut off from the original worm. Just where and how much of the worm can be cut off to grow another worm depends on which of the 2,700 species of earthworm it happens to be. However, if you cut out the aortic arches, you'll just have a very dead worm.

Read more: How Many Hearts Does an Earthworm Have? | eHow.com How Many Hearts Does an Earthworm Have? | eHow.com

SS

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... depends on which of the 2,700 species of earthworm it happens to be.....
SS

which is exactly why we need to inquire ahead of time, since ....... afterall ...... you wouldn't want to cut the wrong type worm !!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I think they scream, but we can't hear them unless you get your ear real close. :laughing9:

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was... screaming. Some kind of screaming, like a child's voice :laughing7:

SS

Was it a scream or, a string of mighty bad language ? :laughing7:
I guess it depends which part you cut...
I'm not to fluent in worm myself :dontknow:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't hear any screams when I fried up a bunch in bacon fat one fine long weekend morning.
Rolled outta bed after a night of partying, searched around for a beer (breakfast of champions) and none were to be found.
Saw "that look" on my girlfriends face so I gathered a bunch of earthworms that came out of the ground from the heavy morning dew and fried them up.
What did they taste like y'all ask?
Like bacon flavoured mud.
Was she impressed?
Not one bit.
Good times!
Cheers,
Dave.

OP
OP
L

lucky2base

Greenie
Jan 11, 2013
Pacifica, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250 Ace
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are insane! I know that next time I cut a big beefy worm in half I might actually start laughing, which is pretty sick.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The Buddhist monks would not be happy with you! Besides the chocolate covered ants taste better. Frank

111-2 700.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread