Worst..box..ever. Done with halves

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I go to my bank where I had orderd 2 boxes of halves. I shoudl have know it was going to go bad when the teller made me mail off to counters $40 in dime rolls I brought in to trade towards the box.

Anyway they only have one box and it looked suspect, taped up instead of glued shut. I told the teller I need to check its all there (I heard rattling metal) and sure enough on opening the rolls are already checked and marked, most rolls so bad off theyre falling apart and halves rolling around loose inside. Too late they said, you opened it, its yours. I get it home, check just in case, only to find its short $25 in halves. So now I've got a useless dump box on my hand, screwed $25 bucks, and having to make homemade rolls cause the jackwad CRH before me manhandled them to uselessness. I hope this punk gets skunks for life.

So with that said I'm done with halves. I'm going to dimes or nickels, this is a waste of time. One 40% in three boxes is pathetic.

Upvote 0

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Halves are about grinding through the bad to get to the good. That's okay though, more for me. :)

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow sheepdog that sucks. That teller sounded like a complete $&@&! I wouldn't have put up with all that, I would have just left if I was getting attitude like that.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow sheepdog that sucks. That teller sounded like a complete $&@&! I wouldn't have put up with all that, I would have just left if I was getting attitude like that.

Side note, I've had boxes where I could hear/see loose coin in them. I always decline them.

OP
OP
S

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loose is one thing. Its another when one CRH robs another by sending in imcomplete rolls intentionally to make a little extra. Not cool.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear that. I purchased a box from a random bank I decided to visit. When the teller brought it out I noticed that they used rubber bands to keep the box shut. I knew instantly that it was a dump. I opened it in the car and saw 50 CWRs. Needless to say I went to another bank next door and dumped the entire box.

I'm almost to the point of giving up on halves if I can't find another bank to order from. I only do 1 box a week but I have only found 1 40%er from 10 boxes. Pathetic. I may just start ordering Dimes and Nickels but I hate the risk of getting solid 2012 boxes.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry for your luck, we've all been there. Just a heads up, I don't think that Banks accept coins in ( Homemade rolls), just to save you some time. You can go to a bank or 2 and get enough CW's to rewrap them. Maverick.

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
That really sucks! I would have just told them to go screw when they said you had to take the box. They can't force you to buy it and if they debit your account you could raise ten kinds of hell to get your money back.

Ditto with what maverick said about homemade rolls. The one time I did that the dump bank gave me proper rolls and made me re-roll them before they would accept them. Thankfully I only had about five rolls like that or I would have had to come back later.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man, that sucks... that's all i got to say, $25 is quite a shortage. let me guess, 1 coin from each roll?

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
raw deal, but you can't give up after 3 boxes....

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a heads up, I don't think that Banks accept coins in ( Homemade rolls), just to save you some time. You can go to a bank or 2 and get enough CW's to rewrap them. Maverick.

Ditto with what maverick said about homemade rolls. The one time I did that the dump bank gave me proper rolls and made me re-roll them before they would accept them. Thankfully I only had about five rolls like that or I would have had to come back later.

Not all banks are like this. I've gotten many a roll from a bank that another CRH dumps at that are just $9.50 in halves rolled in Saran Wrap, then taped up. Never went back again. Luckily I only got about 10 rolls.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand what happened here. you stated you wanted to open the box to check that they were all there, you opened it and it was clear the total would be questionable because loose coins were rolling around, and then the teller said you opened it so you had to keep it? That sounds like BS to me, HE just didn't want to reroll them, he wanted YOU to do it. I'm on your side here, I've been screwed over and realized it afterwards. Tellers around here are really getting on my nerves, I can't decide whether to quit hunting and focus on other wheelings and dealings like MD, or to hunt more so I can see there faces when I up my half dumps from two boxes every other week to two boxes a day.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I go to my bank where I had orderd 2 boxes of halves. I shoudl have know it was going to go bad when the teller made me mail off to counters $40 in dime rolls I brought in to trade towards the box.

Anyway they only have one box and it looked suspect, taped up instead of glued shut. I told the teller I need to check its all there (I heard rattling metal) and sure enough on opening the rolls are already checked and marked, most rolls so bad off theyre falling apart and halves rolling around loose inside. Too late they said, you opened it, its yours. I get it home, check just in case, only to find its short $25 in halves. So now I've got a useless dump box on my hand, screwed $25 bucks, and having to make homemade rolls cause the jackwad CRH before me manhandled them to uselessness. I hope this punk gets skunks for life.

So with that said I'm done with halves. I'm going to dimes or nickels, this is a waste of time. One 40% in three boxes is pathetic.

First off, I can guarantee you with at least 99.9% certainty that your box was damaged by the courier service, not another CRHer. Odds are it was dropped or slid off the pile in the truck during transit and was damaged that way. Its very common. It doesn't take much of a drop/slide at all for the rolls in the box to come out of the box. There is almost no chance that another CRHer could return a box in this condition to a bank for full credit. The bank would almost without fail open the box and count it...even if the box wasn't damaged. Think about it. If you deposited $500 cash in an envelope would the bank teller credit your account the $500 without opening the envelope and counting the cash? Nope. Never.

Second, when this happens, tell the teller that you'll happily buy the box, but you want it counted first. The box is damaged and you absolutely have the right to make sure what's supposed to be in there is indeed in there before you buy it. The teller should have done this without you asking for the same reason they would open the envelope in my example above. And by all means you never have to buy a box...damaged or otherwise. If you ordered it you should buy it, but no one can force you to.

Lastly, 1 40%er per 3 boxes isn't horrible, and only 3 boxes as a "test" isn't nearly enough IMO. My first 11 boxes produced exactly 1 40%er and I have went on to find a decent pile of silver. Even the folks on this forum who consistently get really good boxes of halves will often have streaks where they find 1 40%er (or less) in only 3 boxes. If a tiny "bad" streak (many members on this forum would love to average 1 40% per 3 boxes) like this is going to discourage you, then you are better off searching dimes and/or nickels. If you search halves, you will most likely have several multi-box skunk streaks. Thats just the way it is.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Know why you shouldn't give up after 3 boxes? Here's a rundown on my last 26 boxes at keepers per box...

Ups and downs... it's the name of the game.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Been there. It happens. Soon there'll be a solid roll :)

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
She was wrong. " Too late they said, you opened it, its yours." If you open the box and see DAMAGE, you are NOT liable to buy them just becasue you opened them.

Bring in a sock that you say has $100 in halves in it. Let her pour out the $1 in it. Then say "You opened it, you bought them. for $100" Then show her how silly that thought is. Don't do it with somethin g"close" to real, but showing her that $1 is not $100 (YOu don't want her to think you wer trying to rip her off). shows the silliness of being stuck just because someone SAID it was some amount. Do it with a smike, not anger, and then tell her "See what i mean? If it says something, but you open it and it obviously is damaged, then it's not required of you OR me to buy it. Agreed?" Maybe even do it and bring her a small gift the same day at the same time to show you are not mad but just showing your point. She has to be told she was wrong, but you need to do it whtout angering HER. make sense?

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
bigscores,

Maybe there you have some good boxes like that, but we have a new half dollar rolling machine in Phoenix that has a discriminator on it. (Just like the one I ha ve on my Ryedale that separates the copper from the zinc pennies) They take out all the canadian coins, the Panama half Balboas (I used to get a fair amount of those for some reason. Only one silver one though) AND it just so happens to take out the silver too. Not culling it, but it is "rejected" by the discriminator as not the same alloy as the desired half coin. So silver is non-existant in boxes here. Has been for about a year. I am at 87 skunks in a row and (No longer really) counting. I get silver in hand rolls and from trays as I pick up other things, but I don't ask for boxes of halves. Only the loose stuff. I've taken a box or two from banks that when I ask for loose say "We have a full box. Do you want it?" because I ALWAYS TAKE ALL they have on hand. But I don't "order" boxes, as I know the results. Just an inpit from this area ...

Hopefully other areas of the nation don't get the same updated machine that we got here. It killed the half market. 87 X 0 and counting!!

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jrf30 said:
bigscores,

Maybe there you have some good boxes like that, but we have a new half dollar rolling machine in Phoenix that has a discriminator on it. (Just like the one I ha ve on my Ryedale that separates the copper from the zinc pennies) They take out all the canadian coins, the Panama half Balboas (I used to get a fair amount of those for some reason. Only one silver one though) AND it just so happens to take out the silver too. Not culling it, but it is "rejected" by the discriminator as not the same alloy as the desired half coin. So silver is non-existant in boxes here. Has been for about a year. I am at 87 skunks in a row and (No longer really) counting. I get silver in hand rolls and from trays as I pick up other things, but I don't ask for boxes of halves. Only the loose stuff. I've taken a box or two from banks that when I ask for loose say "We have a full box. Do you want it?" because I ALWAYS TAKE ALL they have on hand. But I don't "order" boxes, as I know the results. Just an inpit from this area ...

Hopefully other areas of the nation don't get the same updated machine that we got here. It killed the half market. 87 X 0 and counting!!

Wow, that's awful. I wonder how widespread that is?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread