Worst..box..ever. Done with halves

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I go to my bank where I had orderd 2 boxes of halves. I shoudl have know it was going to go bad when the teller made me mail off to counters $40 in dime rolls I brought in to trade towards the box.

Anyway they only have one box and it looked suspect, taped up instead of glued shut. I told the teller I need to check its all there (I heard rattling metal) and sure enough on opening the rolls are already checked and marked, most rolls so bad off theyre falling apart and halves rolling around loose inside. Too late they said, you opened it, its yours. I get it home, check just in case, only to find its short $25 in halves. So now I've got a useless dump box on my hand, screwed $25 bucks, and having to make homemade rolls cause the jackwad CRH before me manhandled them to uselessness. I hope this punk gets skunks for life.

So with that said I'm done with halves. I'm going to dimes or nickels, this is a waste of time. One 40% in three boxes is pathetic.

Upvote 0

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I dont understand why you bought it...Take your money and go...if they took money from you already raise hell and get the manager and demand a count or your money back. Don't just back down and let a lazy POS cost you $$.

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
ArkieBassMan said:
First off, I can guarantee you with at least 99.9% certainty that your box was damaged by the courier service, not another CRHer. Odds are it was dropped or slid off the pile in the truck during transit and was damaged that way. Its very common. It doesn't take much of a drop/slide at all for the rolls in the box to come out of the box. There is almost no chance that another CRHer could return a box in this condition to a bank for full credit. The bank would almost without fail open the box and count it...even if the box wasn't damaged. Think about it. If you deposited $500 cash in an envelope would the bank teller credit your account the $500 without opening the envelope and counting the cash? Nope. Never.

Second, when this happens, tell the teller that you'll happily buy the box, but you want it counted first. The box is damaged and you absolutely have the right to make sure what's supposed to be in there is indeed in there before you buy it. The teller should have done this without you asking for the same reason they would open the envelope in my example above. And by all means you never have to buy a box...damaged or otherwise. If you ordered it you should buy it, but no one can force you to.

Lastly, 1 40%er per 3 boxes isn't horrible, and only 3 boxes as a "test" isn't nearly enough IMO. My first 11 boxes produced exactly 1 40%er and I have went on to find a decent pile of silver. Even the folks on this forum who consistently get really good boxes of halves will often have streaks where they find 1 40%er (or less) in only 3 boxes. If a tiny "bad" streak (many members on this forum would love to average 1 40% per 3 boxes) like this is going to discourage you, then you are better off searching dimes and/or nickels. If you search halves, you will most likely have several multi-box skunk streaks. Thats just the way it is.

And this is why I really like cents because you get quite a few keepers every box. I hate getting skunks. Plus I can afford a lot of cents at one time. When I get bored of cents, I usually search dimes for a few days or a week, and voila pull a few silvers, and then go back to cents.

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscores,

Maybe there you have some good boxes like that, but we have a new half dollar rolling machine in Phoenix that has a discriminator on it. (Just like the one I ha ve on my Ryedale that separates the copper from the zinc pennies) They take out all the canadian coins, the Panama half Balboas (I used to get a fair amount of those for some reason. Only one silver one though) AND it just so happens to take out the silver too. Not culling it, but it is "rejected" by the discriminator as not the same alloy as the desired half coin. So silver is non-existant in boxes here. Has been for about a year. I am at 87 skunks in a row and (No longer really) counting. I get silver in hand rolls and from trays as I pick up other things, but I don't ask for boxes of halves. Only the loose stuff. I've taken a box or two from banks that when I ask for loose say "We have a full box. Do you want it?" because I ALWAYS TAKE ALL they have on hand. But I don't "order" boxes, as I know the results. Just an inpit from this area ...

Hopefully other areas of the nation don't get the same updated machine that we got here. It killed the half market. 87 X 0 and counting!!

I got a box from Phoenix when I was there 2 weeks ago that had 10 keepers, 2 90% and 8 40%. It's still out there.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully other areas of the nation don't get the same updated machine that we got here. It killed the half market. 87 X 0 and counting!!

Interesting. I have not noticed the effects of this machine yet reside less than 700 miles from you. Perhaps it is only a local cash vault that uses this technology? Have you tried other coin pools? In my area there are several, outside the fed branch, that all have their own coin processing equipment.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
It is one machine. I talked to a driver that wtched it in action and he says it is a big improvement over the old one. And they are amazed at the number of coins it kicks out. Not just silver, but in general. He wasn't able to tell me what happens to those coins. he didn't know. I wonder what they do with the amercan ones, silver or bent or whatever. They should credit them to the bank since they are american, and put them back into the boxes, if you ask me.

I don't know how far reaching this one machine is. 700 miles away may be a n entirely different system. Just know what is here.

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I go to my bank where I had orderd 2 boxes of halves. I shoudl have know it was going to go bad when the teller made me mail off to counters $40 in dime rolls I brought in to trade towards the box.

What kind of a bank do you deal with? I could see $400 in dimes but $40 that just 8 rolls. Would you mind cluing us in so everyone can avoid this bank like the plague.

Heck I would give up on dimes also if you have to send 8 rolls of dimes to a counter! DO you think they will be reasonable with pennies or nickels for some reason

Too late they said, you opened it, its yours. I get it home, check just in case, only to find its short $25 in halves. So now I've got a useless dump box on my hand, screwed $25 bucks, and having to make homemade rolls cause the jackwad CRH before me manhandled them to uselessness. I hope this punk gets skunks for life.

Had you left the bank when you discovered this problem. This does not make much sense to me. I cannot believe a manager would have condoned this treatment of a customer. "Too late you opened it, it yours". Heck turn around and deposit it in your account. If the branch manager would allow this you have to get a new bank. They are stealing. The teller probably took the halves did not check them and said here comes a sucker instead of me taking a hit for this lose, I pawn it off on this guy.

Please what is the crappy institutions name?

OP
OP
S

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, I can guarantee you with at least 99.9% certainty that your box was damaged by the courier service, not another CRHer. Odds are it was dropped or slid off the pile in the truck during transit and was damaged that way. Its very common. It doesn't take much of a drop/slide at all for the rolls in the box to come out of the box. There is almost no chance that another CRHer could return a box in this condition to a bank for full credit. The bank would almost without fail open the box and count it...even if the box wasn't damaged. Think about it. If you deposited $500 cash in an envelope would the bank teller credit your account the $500 without opening the envelope and counting the cash? Nope. Never.

Second, when this happens, tell the teller that you'll happily buy the box, but you want it counted first. The box is damaged and you absolutely have the right to make sure what's supposed to be in there is indeed in there before you buy it. The teller should have done this without you asking for the same reason they would open the envelope in my example above. And by all means you never have to buy a box...damaged or otherwise. If you ordered it you should buy it, but no one can force you to.

Lastly, 1 40%er per 3 boxes isn't horrible, and only 3 boxes as a "test" isn't nearly enough IMO. My first 11 boxes produced exactly 1 40%er and I have went on to find a decent pile of silver. Even the folks on this forum who consistently get really good boxes of halves will often have streaks where they find 1 40%er (or less) in only 3 boxes. If a tiny "bad" streak (many members on this forum would love to average 1 40% per 3 boxes) like this is going to discourage you, then you are better off searching dimes and/or nickels. If you search halves, you will most likely have several multi-box skunk streaks. Thats just the way it is.

Theres no way to know for sure who damaged it but honestly who cares? If you buy a TV dinner that was left to thaw, refrozen, but youre allowed to buy it if you get sick do you care if it happened at the store or on the way to the factory? It doesnt matter, you're a customer and in the 1st world rental environment the vendor is responsible for the intergrity of the sale.

Second I had already had the box amount removed from my account so it was paid for before they even brought it out. No bank if going to hand you $500 in any form over the counter til they get paid. So it was beyond my control and by the time I made a fuss the teller is helping someone else and the manager is giving me dirty looks. I didnt want to burn my main producing bank.

Third point 40% in 3 boxes is horrible compared to much of what is seen on the average halves boxes. I'm not asking to strike big but the last two of three boxes have been clear dumps with marked ends. I would have even been fine with this if I hadnt got screwed by CRH that left each roll intentionallt short a half in greed.

With that said I think I will stick with nickels and maybe dimes because theres alot more coins in a small pickup and deposit and alot less people trying to make a living off of screwing others on them.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres no way to know for sure who damaged it but honestly who cares? If you buy a TV dinner that was left to thaw, refrozen, but youre allowed to buy it if you get sick do you care if it happened at the store or on the way to the factory? It doesnt matter, you're a customer and in the 1st world rental environment the vendor is responsible for the intergrity of the sale.

Second I had already had the box amount removed from my account so it was paid for before they even brought it out. No bank if going to hand you $500 in any form over the counter til they get paid. So it was beyond my control and by the time I made a fuss the teller is helping someone else and the manager is giving me dirty looks. I didnt want to burn my main producing bank.

Third point 40% in 3 boxes is horrible compared to much of what is seen on the average halves boxes. I'm not asking to strike big but the last two of three boxes have been clear dumps with marked ends. I would have even been fine with this if I hadnt got screwed by CRH that left each roll intentionallt short a half in greed.

With that said I think I will stick with nickels and maybe dimes because theres alot more coins in a small pickup and deposit and alot less people trying to make a living off of screwing others on them.

It really doesn't matter how the box was damaged or who damaged it. Being that you are fairly new to ordering half boxes, I was merely letting you know that it is not uncommon at all to receive a sometimes very damaged box. And, that when this happens, if the teller doesn't open the box and count the rolls/coins in front of you before letting you walk out with them (all of my order banks have done this without fail every time), then you should either request that they do so or do it yourself right there on the counter in front of them if they won't. If they refuse to allow either of these things to happen, and I find it very hard to believe that they would, then you simply refuse the box and ask for your money back, or simply redeposit it back into your account right there on the spot. Once you walk through the door with the coins, the bank is no longer obligated to fulfill any shortage as you can no longer prove that you were shorted. Also, it is not uncommon to find rolls that are short. Some accidentally, some intentionally. It sucks, but its something you will have to deal with on occasion if you are going to CRH.

I always deal in cash. When I pick up my ordered boxes, they retrieve them, put them on the counter, and then I fork over the cash. I've personally never had to pay in advance.

By all means search what you enjoy searching, and don't let anyone - myself included - talk you into doing otherwise. But, as I said, giving up on any denomination of coins (especially halves) after only 3 boxes is "pulling the plug" way too early IMO. That would be like going fishing at a spot that you had never been to before, making 3 casts, catching no fish, and then writing that spot off forever as a bad spot to fish. Halves are very streaky. Most boxes will be skunks. My first 3 boxes produced nothing. My first 11 produced 1 40%er. Box #12 produced 5 90% and 17 40%. Then it was back to mostly skunks. Thats just how it works. I would guess that 60-70% of all my boxes lifetime have been skunks. Of the boxes that contained silver, I would guess that 80-90% of those contained 1 lone 40%er. Its those rare good boxes that really boost your average and they simply just don't come around that often. Halves are not like cents where you expect keepers in every box. It takes a lot of patience to wade through many mostly skunky boxes of halves to hopefully get that one good box.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

you have to remember, most people on here don't post their skunk boxes, they post their silver filled boxes. When was the last time I actually posted about a good half dollar box? not in a LONG time... I am averaging 1 silver every 2-3 boxes right now as well. Just keep at it.

once in a while you'll see somebody post a box of half dollars with 20 keepers in it... yeah, that's WAY above average, but what most don't tell you is how many skunk boxes they had before the really good box.

I had a 54 box skunk streak from August 2011 until february 2012, i am still hunting halves.
hh
buff

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
listen to ArkieBassMan, he's had great advice for as long as i could remember on this forum, especially coming from somebody who has been searching for years.
great advice Arkie!
hh
buff

talon146

Jul 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it makes you feel any better I just went through 4 boxes and found 2 40%, just keep searching.

OP
OP
S

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry guys I sounded a little nasty on the last post and it was uncalled for. I'm not really mad about it being a dump or that I had to make up new rolls so much but that one of our own stole and passed it on. Is it not enough you got silver from a batch, that you got to take basically a Morgan's worth of cash out of my pocket too? Its sad really, and puts me in the red even after all the silver Ive found so far.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread