Worst time to start this hobby

Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, there.

So my dear wife just let me get an AT Gold and all the fixins...underwater earphones, Leshe diggers, additional sniper coil, Garrett digging tool, and a McGuire-Nicholas Utility Suspension Rig to hang it all off of.

Well...she let me get it because I think I convinced her that by doing so we'd become rich. But that's now her problem, right?

I've been watching all the Garrett videos to learn how to use this package. I went in my back yard last evening and in two minutes rescued a YooHoo bottle cap and a large galvanized staple. WoW! Brought back memories of me detecting in Southern California the 70's with a (Dang what was that electronics store before Radio Shack? That's where my dad bought me my first metal detector. And it actually had a discrimination knob. Oh yeah, Lafayette.) metal detector...found lots o' coins under swing sets in public parks. And now I am flabbergasted at the difference detecting offers today.

It was too dark to search for anything else last night so I had to come in. However I was feeling on top o' the world! Like when I found a dime under that swing set so many years ago. So I gotta get that rush again!

But now, we have this big snow storm blowing through. And I'm looking at lots of forum posts that say it's the end of treasure hunting season. Some folks are hanging it up! Dang! I need to GET STARTED!
Can't we treasure hunt in the snow? Well I guess i could but dang, it's cold!

So I am glad to see this forum where at least i may be able to commiserate with others not being able to go hunting, and maybe learn tips about how to hunt even in a cold wet nasty Missouri winter.

Glad to meet you!
I'm Bruce but my user name explains why I'm doing this.

I love history and artifacts...but I really, really want to find a $32000 ring on a beach some day.

Peace and Sweet Induction to you,

Bruce

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, Mr. O'Shoes'

First two steps to finding a 32,000 dollar ring...

1. Buy a metal detector
2. Start a pull tab collection

I been hunting 30 years and I'm still on step no. 2...welcome to Tnet, and happy pull tabbin' :icon_thumleft:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Missouri for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello and welcome from florida.

wswhiting

Nov 30, 2013
Rogue River, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. I hear your pain. I'm getting my AT Pro today. Supposed to snow tonight!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You and I are in the same boat because my husband and I started getting serious about hunting a few months ago and now all it ever does here is rain it seems. We can all sit back and dream of warmer weather.Welcome to TN.

wkrp43

May 24, 2013
western NC
Detector(s) used
F2...BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from NC....let me rub it in. Seventy degrees here today. GL HH

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on your new ATPro and welcome to the insanity.........................HH

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
BNANPOS:

When you can't go outside you can do your homework - lay the groundwork for success when the weather clears, the game is afoot and the hunt begins anew.

Obviously, it would help to practice with your new machine. And that's tough in rough weather. But you can use this time to work on your research - in your case, where are you going to hunt?

Many years ago, a college business professor told us he could predict with a very high degree of accuracy whether or not a small business would succeed or fail before it ever opened its door. This is true of treasure hunting. Those who don't do the research first aren't going to be very successful out in the field.

Pick up a copy of KvonM's Coinshooters Manual or his Master Hunter Manual and study it carefully.

One more thing. Reading many posts here, I'm often surprised at how many detectors some people own. And how many of them didn't purchase the next one with the proceeds of their finds from the previous one.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
BabyNeedsANewPairO'Shoes
Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, Mr. O'Shoes'

First two steps to finding a 32,000 dollar ring...

1. Buy a metal detector
2. Start a pull tab collection

I been hunting 30 years and I'm still on step no. 2...welcome to Tnet, and happy pull tabbin' :icon_thumleft:

Thanks for the directions! :) I'll join you on step 2 as soon as the snow and ice melt!

OP
OP
BabyNeedsANewPairO'Shoes
Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BNANPOS:

When you can't go outside you can do your homework - lay the groundwork for success when the weather clears, the game is afoot and the hunt begins anew.

Obviously, it would help to practice with your new machine. And that's tough in rough weather. But you can use this time to work on your research - in your case, where are you going to hunt?

Many years ago, a college business professor told us he could predict with a very high degree of accuracy whether or not a small business would succeed or fail before it ever opened its door. This is true of treasure hunting. Those who don't do the research first aren't going to be very successful out in the field.

Pick up a copy of KvonM's Coinshooters Manual or his Master Hunter Manual and study it carefully.

One more thing. Reading many posts here, I'm often surprised at how many detectors some people own. And how many of them didn't purchase the next one with the proceeds of their finds from the previous one.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Excellent points, Bookaroo, thank you. I will order those books today.
There are several sites close by that I want to explore. One is a marble quarry north of town that used to have a small company town and 500 residents. The town was razed mid century, but the marble sidewalks are still there. It's still a functioning quarry and we have permission to detect there. I don't know if it's ever been detected before. That could be a place that keeps me busy long term.
I do have lots to learn and I appreciate the willingness of you all to share.

OP
OP
BabyNeedsANewPairO'Shoes
Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome. I hear your pain. I'm getting my AT Pro today. Supposed to snow tonight!

Hey congrats! We can both learn to use them...I am amazed at the potential of the Iron Audio. Meanwhile it's been snowing for almost 24 hours and we're about up to 8 inches. Pretty rare for my part of the world. Here I am with my brand new toy. At least it looks good in my computer room :)

OP
OP
BabyNeedsANewPairO'Shoes
Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You and I are in the same boat because my husband and I started getting serious about hunting a few months ago and now all it ever does here is rain it seems. We can all sit back and dream of warmer weather.Welcome to TN.

Thanks! My daughter lived in Murfreesboro for a few years. Yes you guys can sure get the rain. It's like Seattle with a southern drawl...:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread