16684329_1369524006401873_1232959183160646060_n.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 124

drizzlermibs

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi - Cheese is the expert here and I am sure he will chime in. As for me (still a much newer collector), I don't see much from the limited marbles that I can see. Once in awhile there might be a hidden treasure; but more often than not there isn't. Also, I'm always wary when a seller doesn't display the marbles out of the jar to give a potential buyer a good look at what they will be getting. Again, just my newbie opinion and hopefully Cheese will be by before the auction ends! Do you already, or are you planning on collecting marbles? Beware - it is a fascinating and addictive hobby!!!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
...At the same time, that's a killer jar! Seeing examples of just the jar alone having sold on eBay for and over $10, including shipping. On one auction, two jars sold for $14.50 each ($11.50 +$11.50 shipping).

About the marbles? I don't have the SLIGHTEST clue!

Vintage CLEAR Glass ATLAS E-Z SEAL Half Gallon Jars w/Lids Wire Bails Canning | eBay

Vintage Quart Clear Canning Fruit Jar - Ball Ideal #3 with Wire Bail & Glass Lid | eBay

ANTIQUE BALL ECLIPSE WIDE MOUTH Vintage Mason Quart Pint Jars Glass Lid & Bail | eBay

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
HAPPYCAMPER

HAPPYCAMPER

Aug 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
MXT 300MM PISTOL PROBE FISKARS SPADE AND SHOVEL 12INCH,4X6 AND 8X6 SEF
XT600 TO GET THERE

BEST FIND TO DATE 1787 FUGIO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have picked up marbles through the years...got started bout 30 years when doing construction/rehab and would find marbles in the oddest places when redoing old places,so since then have acquired quite a few but have zero knowledge about them...will at some point start somewhere to gain a little knowledge...saw posting of "cheese "on Peltier marbles and its overwhelming just looking at those.Lots of years to have that kind of knowledge,and not sure I got that many left..lol

Hi - Cheese is the expert here and I am sure he will chime in. As for me (still a much newer collector), I don't see much from the limited marbles that I can see. Once in awhile there might be a hidden treasure; but more often than not there isn't. Also, I'm always wary when a seller doesn't display the marbles out of the jar to give a potential buyer a good look at what they will be getting. Again, just my newbie opinion and hopefully Cheese will be by before the auction ends! Do you already, or are you planning on collecting marbles? Beware - it is a fascinating and addictive hobby!!!

OP
OP
HAPPYCAMPER

HAPPYCAMPER

Aug 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
XT600 TO GET THERE

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The person that has these auctions donates all proceeds to animal shelter so dont believe they spend the time looking into actual value.bought a vintage tomato shaped catsup dispenser in box from same people for $3 and got almost $20 on Ebay...but wasnt aware of jar...was looking at the pretty colors..

...At the same time, that's a killer jar! Seeing examples of just the jar alone having sold on eBay for and over $10, including shipping. On one auction, two jars sold for $14.50 each ($11.50 +$11.50 shipping).

About the marbles? I don't have the SLIGHTEST clue!

Vintage CLEAR Glass ATLAS E-Z SEAL Half Gallon Jars w/Lids Wire Bails Canning | eBay

Vintage Quart Clear Canning Fruit Jar - Ball Ideal #3 with Wire Bail & Glass Lid | eBay

ANTIQUE BALL ECLIPSE WIDE MOUTH Vintage Mason Quart Pint Jars Glass Lid & Bail | eBay

Hope this helps.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I'd spend 20 bux on it just to see what was there. It only takes one half decent marble to make that back and there are a few hundred there... chances are decent but not guaranteed. I don't see anything that jumps out from the one pic, but I can't tell much from it either. If you get it, please share pics!! There's more than 20 bucks worth of fun in there even if they aren't worth much! If you're interested in earning marbles, this jar looks to be a good start at getting your hands on some common examples that you can learn from. You can post them for an ID and then sort them as you get them IDed and as you do, you will begin to see patterns and colors that are recognizable and you will be on your way to learning who made what. Never too late to learn.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HAPPYCAMPER

HAPPYCAMPER

Aug 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
XT600 TO GET THERE

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks,will throw in my bid,she does lists it as having some "shooters" though I think I only see one so curious to what is there...will post pics if I get them.

I'd spend 20 bux on it just to see what was there. It only takes one half decent marble to make that back and there are a few hundred there... chances are decent but not guaranteed. I don't see anything that jumps out from the one pic, but I can't tell much from it either. If you get it, please share pics!! There's more than 20 bucks worth of fun in there even if they aren't worth much! If you're interested in earning marbles, this jar looks to be a good start at getting your hands on some common examples that you can learn from. You can post them for an ID and then sort them as you get them IDed and as you do, you will begin to see patterns and colors that are recognizable and you will be on your way to learning who made what. Never too late to learn.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How could go wrong for $5 ? The jar is worth that

OP
OP
HAPPYCAMPER

HAPPYCAMPER

Aug 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
XT600 TO GET THERE

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keeping eye on auction....gets over at 9pm and at $6 right now..so will wait till later tonight to throw out my offer.

How could go wrong for $5 ? The jar is worth that

OP
OP
HAPPYCAMPER

HAPPYCAMPER

Aug 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
XT600 TO GET THERE

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did win jar of marbles for $7 and will post pics after I meet up with seller.

drizzlermibs

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keeping eye on auction....gets over at 9pm and at $6 right now..so will wait till later tonight to throw out my offer.

Didn't know that the seller contributes the money to animal shelters. Value of marbles and jars aside; worth the money no matter what bid you decide. Win win in my book!

OP
OP
HAPPYCAMPER

HAPPYCAMPER

Aug 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
XT600 TO GET THERE

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree and this non-profit group also helps people who cant afford to pay for vet bills,so some good people and I have bought a handful of items....at times they have neat old stuff you dont see often...and some times new items for auction.Meeting tomorrow afternoon to get marbles,and also was high bidder on old oil lamp,like the looks of those things.Should be able to post a few pics of marbles tomorrow if I get back in time and still natural light for pics.

OP
OP
HAPPYCAMPER

HAPPYCAMPER

Aug 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
XT600 TO GET THERE

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres what I got....anything of interest in this batch?Sorry for lousy pics just wanted to get a few before I lost natural light DSCF6172.JPG DSCF6174.JPG DSCF6175.JPG DSCF6170.JPG DSCF6171.JPG

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
You didn't lose any money for sure. That red and white one at bottom of the 4th pic is pretty nice, probably worth what you paid for it all. I don't see any big score marbles but several from the 1940s and up that are staples in any collection.

OP
OP
HAPPYCAMPER

HAPPYCAMPER

Aug 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
XT600 TO GET THERE

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few close ups of one you mention...measures 13/16 so assume whats called a shooter? Is maker Peltier? DSCF6187.JPG DSCF6188.JPG DSCF6189.JPG DSCF6190.JPG

You didn't lose any money for sure. That red and white one at bottom of the 4th pic is pretty nice, probably worth what you paid for it all. I don't see any big score marbles but several from the 1940s and up that are staples in any collection.

drizzlermibs

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, a shooter. This one was made by Alley. Oddly, I don't think I see any Peltiers in your group.

Not pelt rainbos?
Pic #2 (both white base/light green ribbon) at noon and diagonal down two.
Pic #3 (white base/red ribbon) under the yellow cat eye.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I don't know what I was thinking, I see a few pelts, including those you pointed out Moxie. Good eye. I also think there's a chance of a pelt NLR tiger in the 2nd picture in the center left. Take some close pics of that one too.

OP
OP
HAPPYCAMPER

HAPPYCAMPER

Aug 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
XT600 TO GET THERE

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few more added to pics,Moxie,one of the green/white is larger than rest.. cheese, DSCF6191.JPG DSCF6192.JPG DSCF6193.JPG DSCF6194.JPG DSCF6195.JPG DSCF6196.JPG DSCF6197.JPG DSCF6198.JPG DSCF6199.JPG DSCF6200.JPG the one I think you are talking about being "pelt NLR tiger seems more reddish in color than ones I see online...

I don't know what I was thinking, I see a few pelts, including those you pointed out Moxie. Good eye. I also think there's a chance of a pelt NLR tiger in the 2nd picture in the center left. Take some close pics of that one too.

drizzlermibs

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe all of the green and white mibs in your recent pic are West Virginia swirls (Cheese can explain more about those - I have nowhere near enuf ID skills on those type!) It is difficult to explain the Pelts' position in the pics tho. If you take a look at my thread entitled "Pelt Pee Wees" (a few days ago) you can see the pattern and ribbons of the Peltier Rainbos which might help you pick them out of your piles easier. That said! - the red and white one will appear different b/c there looks to be only one red ribbon. If you look to the right of the third pic -see those 4 red/white ones? The one I think is a Peltier Rainbo is the one closest to the center.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions