Worth buying?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I try to advise using any detector you get to it's strengths and as such, the 505 would be a fine detector for specific detecting areas and might suffer in other. It would work well in soccer fields and other sports fields where there's opprtunity for shallow modern coinage by volume and occaisonal jewelry. Playground hunts in woodchip, pea gravel or sand as well. Might not do so well in looking for older deeper coins, especially in trashy areas of parks, but take it out to the spot of a recent carnival and let it loose and you might get lots of change, enough to work your way up to a new detector should you decide to get into more dedicated hunting later!

Good luck and happy hunting!

OP
OP
y4ng

y4ng

Dec 23, 2008
Well I have no idea how this detector would respond to the coins that is being used here in Singapore.

Basically metal detecting is virtually unknown in this place I'm staying in. Perhaps the hectic and fast pace life style here is the reason why its unknown here. The only shops here that sells metal detectors are those Marine Salvaging companies and those security firms. The former stocks up detectors that cost a bomb to purchase and the latter detectors unsuitable for detecting.

I see lots of potential in detecting here due to the high population density per land area. History in this tiny nation of mine dates back to around 1800s when its still a British Colony.

Weather here is hot, average of 28-30 degrees celcius and humidity is high all year round. Would these 2 factors affect the performance also?

Cheers

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
The general belief is that ground moisture affects performance to some positive degree. I do believe the opportunity for gold hunting there especially in the area of lost jewelry is awesome, but you'll need to be discreet of course.

When you get the detector of your choice, be sure to test it before you take it ouot. Drop a piece of jewelry on the ground and see what it sounds like, now it will sound the same as any "good" target because of thenature of your machine.

The fine line is where you set the discrimination so the machine starts to make a broken or inconsistent sound when it's over junk and a good clear sound over good targets. Of course this line is crossed by some junk and not crossed by some good targets, especially thin gold chains for example. Do set the disc where it might eliminate most pulltabs for example, since they will be close to a lot of the gold you may find there. Your coinage should also be accounted for in this setup process. If hunting the smaller denomination coins cause you to dig too much trash, then accept this as a loss and only go after the larger denomination coins.

Soon enough, you will be able to see where the best target range on your machine is and oh man will you be making some of us hunters over here jealous! Even with a low end machine and especially if there are lots of otherwise unhunted sites near to you!

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there!

Actually I think the Pioneer 505 would be great for your purposes. It's right in that price range and I it has other coil options should you decide you like it and want to search different areas. Let us know how it turns out!

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
One of the greatest low cost machines is the Garrett ACE250. It's $212.00 and some people here on TNET sell it around $150 used.

S

stefen

KellycoChick said:
Hey there!

Actually I think the Pioneer 505 would be great for your purposes. It's right in that price range and I it has other coil options should you decide you like it and want to search different areas. Let us know how it turns out!

I'd take the advice of kellycoChick who is a giving you a straight and honest recommendation. kellyco also reps other name brand products such as the Garrett ACE250 which Relichunter recommended. Regardless of whose product you buy, always deal with a reputable dealer.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
stefen said:
KellycoChick said:
Hey there!

I'd take the advice of kellycoChick who is a giving you a straight and honest recommendation. kellyco also reps other name brand products such as the Garrett ACE250 which Relichunter recommended. Regardless of whose product you buy, always deal with a reputable dealer.

I second that opinion :icon_sunny:

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Great advice here. I have personally never used the BH 505, but a good detecting friend of mine has used one for several years and I know he did quite well with it. He moved up to a Time Ranger.

I have personally used the Garrett Ace 250 and it is certainly a great machine as well.

Either one of these 2 machines I feel would suffice for you. You might even be able to find enough loose coinage to move up to the next level of detector in short order.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread