Worth investigating or am I crazy?

FeralMermaid

Jun 10, 2017
Best state in the whole damn Union.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without disturbing the land, I've been trying to figure out if these mounds are natural, man-made, or aliens.

I've counted about 6-8 in this small area. They're in a strip of woods between the lake and a grassy field. It wasn't always this overgrown, so I could see them being man-made long ago. However, the soil is really soft here, so maybe they're just whipped up by the rain.

I debated even posting pictures because you really can't get an accurate sense of depth, and therefore shape, from any of my iphone pics. But I got a little creative with a few to share.

This is just to show the approximate height. They're all raised 1-2 feet. (This was taken from a distance.)

IMG_1700.JPG

This one I just went ahead and outlined to show the shape.

IMG_1701.JPG

Maybe you can decipher the shape here, but like I said... my camera only has 1 eyeball, and you need 2 for accurate depth deception!

IMG_1702.jpg

Now I let my imagination run wild: What creeps me out is they're mostly adult body-length. It's hard not to wonder about burial mounds, whether native or otherwise. Our lake is only about a mile south of another major lake which the Ojibwe were known to inhabit. From my reading, not all Ojibwe mounds were very large or elaborate, and these fit the bill of overlooking a water source (and a beautiful peninsula at that) on a hill slope. This is all speculation. I've yet to find any artifacts or anything. I kinda want to call out a state archaeologist, but I'd also feel really stupid for wasting their time! Maybe it's nothing and I'm just a loon. :tongue3:

Last edited:

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
That one I grab for the day.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I explore wooded areas I always check mound areas over with my metal detector. In the past I have dug into some, never found anything of worth.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
It would be hard for me to call them graves, the lack of tree growth and/or lack of significant vegetation on and around them says not a chance. The canopy in the background doesn't look sufficiently dense that it would choke out underlying natural growth. The trees in the background aren't particularly big either which tells me the area has been logged in the past 40 or so years. Lastly, 200-300 plus years of erosion would have wiped out a "mound" by now, unless you have a culture in your region that practiced box grave burials.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
detect over each end for fillings or dental work...

Chub

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's just say for the sake of argument that they are graves. There is no way to know for sure, without digging, whether they are old or new graves. Perhaps it is better to report the suspect area to the police? After all, they could be relatively fresh. Not to freak you out, but you could have come across a crime scene...or just some incidental natural mounds.

Keep us posted!

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try probing the mounds, no - not like aliens do, rather a long metal probe like bottle diggers do.

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
That one I grab for the day.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think 1320 is right on, these are from logging, farm or other equipment. I would still investigate, best i have found in them is old shotgun shell head stamps, which is cool to me because I love finding them, especially the really old ones.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its definitely aliens

My guess too! Aliens are creative critters! Greys especially!

No clue what they actually are. Like mentioned above, timbering, old farm land, etc...Puts piles and mounds everywhere. Not saying thats what they are from. it's a possibility.

Last edited:

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A little tip, if the ground has a low depression on one side it probably is a up rooted tree decayed, seen a few in my line of work . but who knows could be graves.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
they are not that old, ummm any missing people in your area in the last say ten years?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If random un-canny high spots mean something to do with treasure or goodies, then .... gee.... there must be a million treasures everywhere I go. If I study the landscape in the woods, deserts, beach, etc....I will find odd-ball uncanny high spots, low spots, lines, shapes, etc.... You can lie on your back, stare at the passing clouds, and find shapes of bunnies, smiley face, the big dipper, etc.... Might just be random coincidence.

Me thinks you're over-thinking it.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
The second photo is certainly very unusual. I dug a few mounds, many were late 1800's early 1900's trash piles filled with bottles and other old relics. Some were old rock piles from farmed covered in dirt. The dirt looks pretty recently disturbed in that second photo. I wouldn't dig it, though unlikely, I don't want to uncover a bottle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread