G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worth It's Salt!

Question, we are planning a vacation in either South Carolina or Florida this summer. I plan on taking my AT-PRO for the beach but I have been reading posts that the AT-PRO is not really a salt water machine. I know it is a matter of preferences but I see many folks using a Tesoro Sand Shark for salty beaches. Does anyone have an experience with both of these machines, or, are there better detectors than these two in salt?
Rich

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sand Shark is a PI machine. It beeps on everything metal and there is no ability to identify what you might be digging. So, lots of digging for things like Bobby pins. But it is deep and works well in salty water and sand.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The At pro is a great machine. It should work fine in the dry sand and you'll probably have to turn down the sensitivity in the wet and remember to ground balance. Even if it chatters you will still be able to distinguish a good signal. Good luck!

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT works fine in the water on beaches without to much black sand,I agree with the previous info on this thread you will have to drop the sensitivity and go slow...I would prefer the pi for the water and use the AT on the dry sand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions