Worth makling a trip out to the beach this time of year? (North Carolina)

Mognar

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2015
Apex, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, BH Pioneer 505, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I'm fairly new and wanted to ask and see what the consensus is towards MD'ing the beach this time of year. I live 3 hours from the coast, have had a really rough week and was thinking about making a day trip tomorrow, but don't want to drive 6 hours for naught... would like to have a chance at a find or two if I make the trip. Plus being on the beach has always relaxed me.

I don't know anything about the beaches here in NC, I was thinking of just driving out on 64 and finding a beach I can MD, park and spend the day walking.

I know coins can come and go depending on the surf, storms, etc... I used to surfcast 6 days a week and was always finding clad on the beach, especially after a good storm, but does jewelry roam around as well? Or is it more of a find shortly after someone loses it?

I've been doing my research about the area I live in, spent the better part of the day at a school that's been around for 100 plus years and ended up with a few clad for my efforts. The state parks, county parks are all off limits. Have been trying to get perms for a few places, but not much luck. Getting a little discouraged, but I'm sure it's normal with this hobby :) Would just like to find something interesting... I'm learning my AT Pro in the process though, so that's a good thing.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Alex

Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
a day on the beach is never a waste in my opinion

OP
OP
M

Mognar

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2015
Apex, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, BH Pioneer 505, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the beach... I've been in NC for 7 years and this is the first time I've lived more than 15 minutes from it... 3 hours is a bit of a drive. Weather should be beautiful tomorrow though (around 60 degrees on the coast)

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
go for it, trust in the 24!!

you can thank me later ( and get pics)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless there's been a storm or some other tidal event, I think you'll be rather disappointed with beach results this time of year.....especially with the machines you have listed. The AT Pro will do good in the dry sand but nothing you have listed is made for wet salt water/sand. There haven't been enough beach goers yet to find fresh drops in the dry.

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to water line two hours below low tide till two hours after. Hit the base of hills for wind protection and coins that fall down the hill. Look for black sand on the beach. Best tip is people often run to some where on the beach to start detecting. But people stop at bottom of stairs and lose alot of stuff their. Then get rushed if others are behind them. So at the bottom of steps is a good hot spot. Look for motels and busy spots where lot of people are located. Have fun. must be nice to have something in common with your wife I bet. What does she say if you want to buy a new detector? I'll take your old detector and we will sell mine. Ha Ha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread