Worth the trip? Only one way to find out.........

discovery_bound

Feb 4, 2008
South Dakota, B&R in Montana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
So, I've been on and off T-Net for a little while and decided to concentrate on research instead of just lurking through all the posts. Not sure what to think of this place, but might as well give it a shot....what do you think? Sort of a lengthy read, but gives a good visual of the era. (oh, and yes I have unlimited permission!!!)

A Simple Place in Time... January/February 2007
Date Posted: February 19, 2007

Written by Barb Selyem. Photos by Bruce Selyem

The roads have no formal names here�a place where farmers give directions by section lines, farmhouses, and grain elevators.

An arrow on a crossroad fence points the way to Comertown, MT, and the railroad siding marks the place.

The houses are gone now�some moved, some burned, some slumped silently in thigh-high grass next to farm implements long hidden and forgotten.

There is an old, weathered railcar with broken windows and a few frayed curtains. A concrete stairway with massive posts sits unattached next to lilac bushes.

There are no businesses, no schools, and no churches; only a few shells of abandoned buildings remain.

The grain elevator�once a stately symbol of a prosperous community� rests in ashes on its foundation.

A Prospering Comertown
When the Soo Line Railroad arrived in Comertown in 1913, it carried with it visions of a much different future. Some settlers, enticed by railroad advertisements touting the fertile farmland of northeast Montana, homesteaded nearby.

Others who moved to town built hotels, schools, a hardware store, a livery, a grocery store, a post office, saloons, and lumberyards.

Grain handling. One early entrepreneur, George Onstad of Westby, MT, built the town�s first grain elevator.

It was a 12,000-bushel cribbed structure, with a manual manlift and a wood leg powered by a one-cyclinder gas engine. It stood alone along the tracks until 1916, when area farmers united to build the Farmers Elevator.

That year, Onstad sold to the Atlantic Elevator Co., a large and well-known grain conglomerate of that era. He could not have known that his elevator would continue to tower over the community for 87 years.

The Farmers Elevator burned in 1924, and in its place, the Occident Company, a division of Russell-Miller Milling of Valley City, ND built an 18,000-bushel cribbed facility. It also had a manual lift and a wood leg powered by a gas engine, and �Occident Flour, Cost More Worth It� was painted proudly on its side.

Eventually, Occident acquired the original 1913 Onstad elevator too and operated both until 1954, when Russell-Miller Milling, including its country elevators, was sold to the Peavey Co. of Minneapolis, MN. Jim Syme, an area farmer, purchased the Comerton elevators from Peavey.

Jim�s first manager was Don Fink, and his first bookkeeper was Zelda Fink, Don�s wife.

In 1957, Don and Jim moved the Onstad elevator closer to the larger Occident structure and turned it 90 degrees. They removed the manlift and leg and installed augers to and from the main house, thus transforming the old elevator into an annex. They replaced the �one-lung� gas engines with electric motors.

A Declining Comertown
Don and Zelda continued to work for Jim until 1960. By then Comertown was already declining and had closed its high school. The Finks, who had school-aged children, moved on to work for an elevator in Raymond, MT.

At that time, they had no idea that they would one day own the Comertown elevators themselves.

In 1977, Jim sold out to his brothers, Tim and Howard, who would use the facility to store and merchandise their own harvests.

Tim reflects positively on his involvement.

�The elevator had 18 bins, and it provided a very good system for handling grain,� Tim said.

�We could receive, ship, blend, clean, and move different types of grain, as the extra bins allowed for more types of storage,� Tim explained.

�The elevator still had its original Fairbanks scale and wagon hoist, and the flooring showed traces of how the horses would dig away on the platform trying to pull their loads.�

In the early 80s, Tim sold his share to Howard, who continued to ship by rail east to Minnesota and west to Washington and Oregon for a few years. Howards�s memories are not quite as pleasant as Tim�s.

Ultimately, Howard was forced to close the elevator in the mid-1980s, as competition from bigger grain companies drove independents out of business. The Comertown elevators were never used again.

Don and Zelda Fink, who had visions of renovating the elevator, bought the buildings in 1987 but never fulfilled their dream.

Two years later, Don and Zelda sold it to a nephew, Vic Johansen, who planed to move the elevator to his farm, near Antelope, MT. He never made the move, and in 1991-92, he allowed the railroad lease to lapse.

The Soo Line never forced the demolition or removal of the buildings, nor did the title of ownership ever change.

Elevator Fire
On June 23, 2000, the Comertown elevators burned to the ground. The fire was so intense that it could be seen 12 miles away in Westby, MT.

No effort was made to save the buildings and though lightning was cited as the cause, no final determination was ever made. Now, only the rubble remains.

On a summer day, if you perch on those massive concrete stairs that lead nowhere, you can hear the sounds of the wind as it stirs the long grass and turns the old, sqeaking windmill across the road.

You will hear the popping of the tree-high carragana bushes as they spread their seeds, the hollow cooing of the mourning doves, and the flutelike songs of the meadowlarks. If you are very still, you can imagine the sounds of past generations as they worked, played, and prayed together.

And, you may lament the passage of a simpler time

Attachments

• comertown.jpg
    comertown.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 351
  • comertown, aerial.jpg
    comertown, aerial.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 309

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Looks like a million other MT rail-towns that blew away with the wind years ago.

If you have permission - go for it! I'd start in the park there in the circle/square wind-break and see what happens. I'm thinking to stay away from the grain tower... lottsa nails there I bet.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post. And many times I have lamented the passage of a simpler time, but I remember I still see the same stars, moon, and mountains that my ancestors saw for thousands of years. So I still have a connection. You must post your finds from that area.

OP
OP
discovery_bound

discovery_bound

Feb 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
I'll keep you posted....as long as the weather holds out! 40 degrees in November this time of year is almost unheard of for this area, but I hear it's supposed to hold for another few weeks. There is also a ghost town about 20 minutes to the west of here, all that's left is the church and cemetary. From what I can tell by the maps, the land that the town used to sit on is now plowed over. I do have the sanborn map as well as archived county articles of the town....guess the hard part is to match them up with the vacant plains. A lot of time mixed with some luck and maybe I can pull out a few beauties...I'll let you know.

HH,
DB

On a side note, Montana Jim, have you ever hunted or been to the MonDak area between Williston, ND and Fairview, MT?

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
discovery_bound said:
I'll keep you posted....as long as the weather holds out! 40 degrees in November this time of year is almost unheard of for this area, but I hear it's supposed to hold for another few weeks. There is also a ghost town about 20 minutes to the west of here, all that's left is the church and cemetary. From what I can tell by the maps, the land that the town used to sit on is now plowed over. I do have the sanborn map as well as archived county articles of the town....guess the hard part is to match them up with the vacant plains. A lot of time mixed with some luck and maybe I can pull out a few beauties...I'll let you know.

HH,
DB

On a side note, Montana Jim, have you ever hunted or been to the MonDak area between Williston, ND and Fairview, MT?

I can say with certainty that I never have hunted there. Too far east for me to go exploring there.

Nice gortex DCU jacket...

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
discovery_bound said:
Nice gortex DCU jacket...

Thanks. Didn't really use it in Iraq, but works really nice for hunting.....especially upland bird!!
[/quote]

Makes for a nice windbreaker out there on the plains... good luck on the site.

OP
OP
discovery_bound

discovery_bound

Feb 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Well, made it out here on black friday, but only for a few hours as my schedule was thrown off a bit. Nothing too remarkable as finds go....nails, junk iron, and modern shell casings.....looks like a good deer hunting area. I took a few pics and will definately be going back next spring/summer with lots more time to hunt.

HH
DB

Attachments

• Comertown 003.jpg
    Comertown 003.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 237
  • Comertown 004.jpg
    Comertown 004.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 237
  • Comertown 005.jpg
    Comertown 005.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 232
  • Comertown 006.jpg
    Comertown 006.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 232
  • Comertown 007.jpg
    Comertown 007.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 239
  • Comertown 001.jpg
    Comertown 001.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 226
OP
OP
discovery_bound

discovery_bound

Feb 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Thanks M.J.
My finds looked very much like the ones you had on your post. Junk. I plan on at least one or two solid days in the future at this site and then I will be scratching it off the list and moving on. Know of some good places around Billings? My brother lives a few miles east of there and I plan on taking a trip next summer, maybe even try to pan for some gold.....just to say I've done it. haha

HH
DB

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
discovery_bound said:
Thanks M.J.
My finds looked very much like the ones you had on your post. Junk. I plan on at least one or two solid days in the future at this site and then I will be scratching it off the list and moving on. Know of some good places around Billings? My brother lives a few miles east of there and I plan on taking a trip next summer, maybe even try to pan for some gold.....just to say I've done it. haha

HH
DB

Nope, no idea about Billings - I'm in the Great Falls area and have been "through" Billings a million times but never hunted there. No gold around me either... I've driven to fill buckets to pan at home, but only to say I've tried it.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Looks like a spot worth investigating. Did your research indicate a school anywhere?

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing. Keep us posted on any good finds.

Ray S ECenFL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions