Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver would probably be an upgrade for pinpointing as the detector probably gives a sharper signal response. It's non-motion in the all-metal mode but with that unit I'd probably just "X" the target in disc..

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Yes, the silver would be a great upgrade. It was my first real detector and I can tell you, when you X the target and pinpoint it, it will be in the plug, or deeper. But it will be where you pinpointed. It is a motion detector, even in all metal. I still have mine and use it a lot. It's not as deep as my vaquero but the recovery speed is better. Great detector in trashy areas.

Good Luck.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RPG said:
Yes, the silver would be a great upgrade. It was my first real detector and I can tell you, when you X the target and pinpoint it, it will be in the plug, or deeper. But it will be where you pinpointed. It is a motion detector, even in all metal. I still have mine and use it a lot. It's not as deep as my vaquero but the recovery speed is better. Great detector in trashy areas.

Good Luck.

I thought most Tesoros were no motion all metal? Is that right? Or am I just messed up in the head? Or maybe that's a feature for the higher end ones? Damn it's been a long time since I've used one of those! (and never more than a few hours here and there) I think the all-metal is pretty useless anyway, but I might as well have it straight. :thumbsup:

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Iron Patch said:
RPG said:

Good Luck.

I thought most Tesoros were no motion all metal? Is that right? Or am I just messed up in the head? Or maybe that's a feature for the higher end ones? Damn it's been a long time since I've used one of those! (and never more than a few hours here and there) I think the all-metal is pretty useless anyway, but I might as well have it straight. :thumbsup:

Nope, the silver at least is a motion detector. I'm not sure about the higher end ones. I guess the all metal would be good for a civil war site where you want to dig everything. I use all metal to find the iron patch and then it's back to disc. :wink:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RPG said:
Iron Patch said:
RPG said:

Good Luck.

Nope, the silver at least is a motion detector. I'm not sure about the higher end ones. I guess the all metal would be good for a civil war site where you want to dig everything. I use all metal to find the iron patch and then it's back to disc. :wink:

Nulling is what does it for me with the ploder to find the hot spots.

I could figure the non motion thing out by going to the Tesoro website but I don't care that much! ;D

M

miser

Without a doubt the Silver uMax would be a decent upgrade. It works very, very well in most environments and is backed by a lifetime warranty which is no small thing.

If you want to talk to somone who has a lot of experience and can help you choose a machine, many folks on this site talk to 4-H whoi is also a metal detector dealer. Maybe you can send him a message.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread