Would like to try metal detecting but not sure.....

bop222

Sep 19, 2004
First off, I do not own a detector but have always believed it would be a nice hobby to try...my question is, what type/brand would the experts recommend for someone that is just wanting to check it out. No one I know is into this so I would be buying some type of detector. There is a local White's distributor not far from where I am at. I'm in South Dakota...anyone out there have any suggestions on what might be a fun place to start? There is lots of river/lakefront beach area....

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help....

Upvote 0

magjm

Sep 20, 2004
sylva, nc
Detector(s) used
E-Trac. Excal, XLT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Detectorists are a varied breed but the most successful are a bit obsessive. That means a lot of swinging, and getting to know the equipment. Too many Christmas Warriors go out once or twice, find it isn't as easy as it looks, and stick the detector into the closet. Your best bet, in my opinion, is find someone with a top line, quality, detector or rent one, and go out and play. Find a local club or a buddy. Different folks like different detectors, and practise is the only way to find what you like or prefer in a machine. A detector does not have to be expensive to be good. Even White's has recently come out with lower end machines. Used machines are available on forums and Ebay. Also, check out the web sites and forums for advice.

Maggie

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
It's hard to say what type/brand of detector another person should buy. There are too many variables. That being said, I would try to find another Th'er in your area to go with. I would never loan out one of my detectors but would let someone try it out if they were with me. To suggest that you buy a cheap machine to start with is really counter productive. You buy a 50.00 piece of junk and decide " this is'nt for me" . Personally I like Minelab. Many others like Whites. Much of it depends on the mineral content in your area and most importantly how serious you are about detecting. I spent more than a year getting used to my first detector. So if you are planning on really trying it, and are looking tward the beach areas I would suggest a mid market whites or the minelab muskateer. Simple to use turn on and go machines are usually in the $300.00 to $400.00 range. As was said before Ebay is a good place to look, but availabilty is an issue. Since you have a Whites dealer in your area I would start there. Most reputable dealers are more than happy to help in any way they can. Whether with advise or putting you in touch with some people to help you out. Hope that helps a bit> Good luck. Chris

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
See if that dealer has machines to rent. That would be the best way to find out:

1) Do you like knobs- switches/ touch pads, lots of bells-whistles/ simplicity, etc. Some machines are easier to learn than others, and different machines have different capabilities (discrimination, sensitivity, depth, dealing with mineralized soils, etc.)

2) Do you mind digging up trash? Would you be willing to go out and find nothing, just to enjoy the time searching outdoors? Those who find the most treasure are usually digging up lots of trash, and not every hunt puts something wonderful in your pocket.

It is a hobby, and like any hobby you can get good at it if you're willing to put in the time and $. As I see it, it beats watching TV, gets me outside doing something productive, and I enjoy coming up with fantastic items once-in-awhile. It is an Easter Egg hunt, not a way to get rich. You never know what you will dig up next, and you don't know what's out there 'til you look. One thing is for certain: You won't find anything if you DON'T look!

OP
OP
B

bop222

Sep 19, 2004
Thank you all for the replies....I'm going to visit the local White's dealership and talk to those folks and see what I can find out..thanks again for all your insights...

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
If your just starting out, I would check out the White's Prism line, the new Garrett Treasrue Ace 150 or 250, or a Bounty Hunter machine with all the bells and whistles. These are all in the $200-$350 range. If you end up getting a tone only machine, you are going to be doing a lot of digging and probably a lot of frustration. The machines that have the target ID, Depth ID, multi-tones and auto notch can make detecting a heck of a lot easier and enjoyable for a new person.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Another good entry level detector is the Tesoro Compadre. I bought one and the whole package (detector, earphones, and a sand scoop) was about $200.00..It is a simple turn on and go machine. I bought it because I was unsure if I would like metal detecting. In my honest opinion, the compadre is an excellent entry level detector. Good luck in your decision.

Ron (PA)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread