Would this get you excited!?

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I was poking around an old homesite today that I just found out was on a property where I was already detecting another old site! The house and barns, etc. are all overgrown and swallowed up by the woods now, so aside from the copious amounts of poison ivy, brambles and fallen trees, not to mention copperheads I was warned about..there's tons of trash to move out of the way as well! Tough for detecting!

I detected around this tree in the nearby field and kept getting a hit even after digging about a foot down! I ended up giving up because I didn't want to focus all my time in one spot. Not to mention that I know a certain person with a Master Hunter with the two-box attachment!

cachetree.JPG

NOW THE PART THAT GOT ME REALLY EXCITED.. The only structure left standing at this site is an old shed of some sort. I went in and detected the floor and corners till my detector sounded off with a good signal in one corner!! I started digging and saw this little jar peeking out!! WOULD THIS GET YOU EXCITED!?!?!??

IMGP0013.JPG

Sadly it turned out to be full of nothing but dirt!! My detector was hitting on a buried piece of tin that was likely attached to the outside of the shed at one point! Dang. That had my blood pressure up!

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
This all looks like prime hunting!
Baggins

OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I agree! I think we haven't even scratched the surface yet on the other old house and NOW THIS!!

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
Keep looking.
That jar may have once held paper money (now long gone), and if that was the case, earlier caches will most likely contain coins.
:thumbsup:

OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Oh I WILL!! There is so much undergrowth surrounding all this stuff that you just can't see much. Mainly I keyed in on the oldest trees and anything structure related that was suitable for detecting. I think my next trip will be concentraing on moving all the tin and scrap into concentrated locations. That's gonna be a workout too....

Finders-Seekers

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2009
Hey, Pyledriver, I had the exact same thing happen to me last year! I had gone to an old homesite where the only thing left standing was one shed. Two barns, one of them huge, were on the ground and I certainly plan to hunt underneath them the first chance I get. But, like you, when I searched the old shed, next to the nearest corner post, I found a dirt-filled jar, too! Darn, darn, darn! The good part is that I found several gun-sight trees and a hoot-owl tree in the area and, when I began searching near them, I found a three-legged cast-iron cooking pot buried almost two feet deep. About fifteen feet away, I found another piece of cast-iron which I believe is a clue to something else buried in the area. So, don't give up on your search, just because you found a jar of dirt. Next time, it may be full of something you can spend!

OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm almost over the poison sumac I got from this site...LOL! I'll be going back soon!

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pyledriver said:
Not to mention that I know a certain person with a Master Hunter with the two-box attachment!

OK - I've had enough sitting around! Let's go next Wednesday afternoon (physical on Wednesday morning).

OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
A physical!? You're gonna make me do all the digging aren't you? Hopefully they won't get too carried away on that..you're gonna look funny doing the duck walk and carrying a bunch of gear! :tongue3:

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a yearly requirement for my job. For some reason people want to make sure I'm not going to have a heart attack at 130'. Picky, picky, picky!

OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
LOL.. Haven't been back! Between the rain (have to go through a muddy field, then two creeks) and my mom having health issues, I've been too busy to go back. Hope to within the next week or so!

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Dirt filled canning jars won't sound off. Neither will 'hoot
owl trees' unless the sap is rising. 'Gunsight trees' should
always be investigated.
Young detectorists may not be aware of 'post hole banks'.
I've walked miles of fenceline and still haven't found one.

lastleg

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
I have found two posthole banks,but still dont know what gunsight trees or hoot owl trees are. And I aint getting any younger. please humor me and describe them. Bob

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Darned if I know Bob. The KGC enthusiasts use that kind
of terminology. We'll have to ask one of them next time
they post something.

Best wishes,
lastleg

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I know nothing of cache hunting. But the phrase gunsight tree to me would be indicative of the shape of the tree resembling a gunsight, which in the old days they were most all a fork of some kind with a center stem at the front.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions