Would you buy a high end detector if you could afford it?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not 'til I figure out the one I have and use it enough to get proficient with it.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
To be honest, don't think I would unless it was fairly lightweight and quick to separate between good and bad targets. It's getting where mid-price detectors are just about as good-depthwise and light. Are the fancy extras worth the extra money or can the money be better spent on things like a 4" coil, better headphones, etc,?

O

ol ploock

yep, I've got two of them.
Explorer II and a GTI 2500

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes. I would buy one even if I couldn't afford it.
I guess that's because I'm hooked on metal detecting.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with Stoney. there are ways to Upgrade what I have. the Most I would do is Buy a Newer Version of the model I already Have.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
I can not afford them and I have two a XLT and a DFX. After using them I would not want to detect with any thing else. The target id and vid # on the high end whites give me a good idea of what is there before I dig and saves me a lot of time. They are also in my opinion the best and most adjustable detectors on the market. I like to bury things and make adjustments to them to see just how good I can get them to work. I have a buddy who likes to claim his explorer II is better but he has yet to detect a target that my XLT would not pick up. He is always callling me over and saying here is a deep target see what your whites says it is. I can always get a good reading on any thing that he gets with the explorer. I have not used the DFX enough to give you a true opinion of it yet although I have found a lot of silver in the past three weeks with it. I think this was more the spot than the detector as none of it was over 5in deep and I think any good detector would have gotten it. I can see where the DFX will be better on gold than the xlt but I do not know about the depth of the XLT verses the DFX yet.

OnionRings

Dec 15, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I would not buy a new detector for parks and school hunting, but if I changed my hunting style I would buy a different detector.

Here's are my choice's;

Nugget Hunting LOBO Super Trac
Relic and old coins Whites MXT

Onion
?

V

Vingamel

All of my finds by my BH Tracker IV are going toward an upgrade. So, until I find enough money with my current detector, I can't justify to myself buying something more expensive, especially since the BH is doing just fine for me.

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
Yes and I have an EX II it has opened up a whole new world of detecting! I can go back over old sites and am amased what i missed. Cladius.

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
I'd buy a lamborghini if I could afford it ;D also I'd buy the latest in ground penetrating radar unit and the latest greatest top of the line metal detector available! ooooooo.....I know what to ask for my birthday! everyone from treasurenet chip-in and get me one of everything above ;)

W

wepc

I have had certain high end detectors that do not live up to their advertising. Sovereign, GT 2500.
On the other hand some of the mid priced detectors have amazed me beyond my expectations. XLT, MXT, GB2.
If I had the money, I would own all top end stuff, Minelab and Whites.

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
OH yes! I got consent to hunt an 1879 home site that was also a RR depot & a general store & a rooming house before it became a private residence. It was demolished by the owner last year & he was a contractor working for me at the time. I had the Whites QXT Pro at the time & was doing well with it, but thought that this gave me an excuse to move up to the DFX. I love the DFX & would not part with it for the world, but by the time I got it, there was two feet of snow over the site. In the time between the snow & good weather, the contractor went banco & the property is still tied up in court so I am still waiting to get on it. It was a grand reason for the upgrade & the machine amazes me every time I go out. If I ever master the machine, I will be a master at detecting. Until then, I just keep learning like everyone else. The forum is a great learning tool also. Spotz

YosemiteSam

Jan 23, 2005
definateley hope to
back to work on monday,which means less time for my new found hobby
more work = less of life
its a balancing act this work and play
wasted time =nothing
time well spent =priceless
work = more expendable income
isnt it nice to be an AMERICAN!

F

foolserrand

I'd pay 3000 bucks for a metal detector that proved without a doubt it was hands down better than the rest.

My current detector cost me about 700 bucks. White's spectrum XLT .

Been saving spare change (from daily cash purchases)? in a big ole 5 gallon pig-shaped jar for about 3 years now .... got about $1,400 bucks in coins in it . It is nearly 3/4 full & I aint cashing it all in (to buy a new detector) til it is completely full. That is my "blow my money on a new metal detector" fund ....got plenty of money in my bank accounts but that is for saving..... not metal detectors. :)

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
We can afford it, but I just havent found the right combination that Im looking for to pry me out of my current machine. And Bobbie she dont care she not going to change until there is not another shadow x2 to be found. Now if we lived a little closer to the water where I would head to the beach a least couple of times a week well that would be a diffrent question.
hh

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's how I feel about my Sovereign, Dave? :) I have heard alot of good things about the SHADOW

WolfmoonX

Dec 4, 2004
New Jersey
When I decided to upgrade from a Radioshack Discovery 2000 (low end), I researched and researched coming to the conclusion that I would be afraid of what I might pass up or miss if I bought a mid range detector. My choices where the 3 top White's models DFX, XLT, MXT. My wife provided some funds as a gift and I sold a few guitar pedals that I dont use for the rest. I bid on all 3 models on EBAY and won the XLT. I'm in the process of learning it now. Technically....I couldnt afford it but I would have alwas been thinking about what I missed if I didnt get a model at the high end of the spectrum. No pun intended. ;D

Wolf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread