Would you buy this too?

Nickel Searcher 219

May 25, 2012
I would buy one.Does it just filter out all copper or only wheat cents?and how would it know a 1944 wheat from a 1964 copper.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can only alloy sort the wheat cents that are 1940-something (someone chime in with the correct date please) and older because the metallurgy contains a small portion of tin (Sn).

An alloy sorter such as the Ryedale uses a test coin that passes an electric signal through the coin as it goes through the comparator and if matches then it is "Accepted" , if not it is "Rejected"

People "Double Sort" with a Ryedale because in theory all older wheat cents with Tin in them will get rejected with the zincolns, then you need to resort the zincolns with a zincoln as the test coin so all the rejects are "Tin Cents".

Not sure how a single machine could accomplish this, 2 Ryedales in series could if you did a home build.

Get more details on it.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Im not sure, but it It separates all indian pennies and wheats from the copper ones.

It could be done with optical recognition. It cannot be done with the alloy detection technology like what the Ryedale uses - not all wheats anyway, just early wheats.

As Bigheed says, you can discriminate the bronze cents (Cu, Sn) from the brass cents (Cu, Zn) if you tune the comparator for that.

They were Bronze from 1864 - 1942 so IH and early wheats can be detected with a high sensitivity setting.
After 1943 they were Brass until 1982 when they became Cu cladded Zn.

OP
OP
M

MoneyBags

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It could be done with optical recognition. It cannot be done with the alloy detection technology like what the Ryedale uses - not all wheats anyway, just early wheats.

As Bigheed says, you can discriminate the bronze cents (Cu, Sn) from the brass cents (Cu, Zn) if you tune the comparator for that.

They were Bronze from 1864 - 1942 so IH and early wheats can be detected with a high sensitivity setting.
After 1943 they were Brass until 1982 when they became Cu cladded Zn.

so then you dont think it would be worth it for him to try to get them produced to sell?

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Some members run their coins through their sorter twice. Once to get the brass cents and then again to get the early date wheats (and IH's).

Like some other members have done, I made a sorter that has two stages. For mine, the first stage uses a Zn cent as the reference. Everything that matches the first stage gets dumped (modern memorial errors included - ie WAM). If it is not Zn, then it is either Brass, Bronze, Steel, or Foreign. All of that falls through to the second stage that uses a Brass cent as the reference. Those all get hoarded for possible hand processing later (to pull late date wheats and Canadian brass). Whatever doesn't match the 2nd stage gets hand processed. That is where I find early date wheats, steel wheats, foreign coins (Canadian, Euro, etc), and US dimes.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
so then you dont think it would be worth it for him to try to get them produced to sell?

If he has a system that does it, there is likely a market for it among the CRH'ers. I would like to know how it works. It might be that it detects all pre-1943 which would appeal to some. If that is what it does, there are already known solutions for that. See my post above.

OP
OP
M

MoneyBags

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If he has a system that does it, there is likely a market for it among the CRH'ers. I would like to know how it works. It might be that it detects all pre-1943 which would appeal to some. If that is what it does, there are already known solutions for that. See my post above.

As far as I know he told me that it can detect if it is any date of wheats, and indian head cent, hes not telling me to much yet he just was wondering if I knew anyone besides me that might want to buy it.

OP
OP
M

MoneyBags

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I would buy one.Does it just filter out all copper or only wheat cents?and how would it know a 1944 wheat from a 1964 copper.

Some members run their coins through their sorter twice. Once to get the brass cents and then again to get the early date wheats (and IH's).

Like some other members have done, I made a sorter that has two stages. For mine, the first stage uses a Zn cent as the reference. Everything that matches the first stage gets dumped (modern memorial errors included - ie WAM). If it is not Zn, then it is either Brass, Bronze, Steel, or Foreign. All of that falls through to the second stage that uses a Brass cent as the reference. Those all get hoarded for possible hand processing later (to pull late date wheats and Canadian brass). Whatever doesn't match the 2nd stage gets hand processed. That is where I find early date wheats, steel wheats, foreign coins (Canadian, Euro, etc), and US dimes.

Yes but then you spend a good 1.2k on the machines.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without a price point there is no point asking someone if they would buy it. Big bucks? I highly doubt it would be a successful venture.

OP
OP
M

MoneyBags

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Without a price point there is no point asking someone if they would buy it. Big bucks? I highly doubt it would be a successful venture.

What do you consider big bucks? And what would you pay for a machine like it?

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You're going about this backwards. You need to find out how much your friend needs to be profitable, then check for interest. By asking a small sample you might find a couple people willing to spend too much while the rest of your target customers are priced out. Just MO.

Sleazyj

Mar 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The arcade I work at uses comparators for tokens, the are just like the ryledales

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Solution to older wheats going with zincs: use an old wheat as the sample coin. If u do that u'll get all coppers and all wheats together.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other

To really find out what the interest level would be, you would need to provide, at a minimum, the following information:
1) The performance specifications of the device.
- Number of coins per minute that it would process
- Accuracy rate (how many false positives and how many lost keepers) per 1000 coins
2) Projected cost
3) Projected service life (how long will it last)
4) Operating expense (does it require any consumables ie: lube)

We know around here that what is being proposed is not as simple as your seller/inventor makes it out to be. Snake oil is still for sale out there and it still is not a magic elixir.

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I probably wouldn't buy a machine that can sort out the wheat pennies. There just aren't enough of them in circulation to rationalize the time and effort spent in the pre/post processing phase. Since copper pennies include wheats it seems a lot simpler just to hold all copper and sort the types later.

OP
OP
M

MoneyBags

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
bump just looking to see who would be interested

Last edited:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would rather just buy a ryedale, that sorts out coppers, and inside the coppers are wheat cents, most of the time, but like others have said, some older wheats get thrown in with the zincolns.

plus the ryedale does double what this product would do, unless the product is real cheap, i don't think people would buy it.

OP
OP
M

MoneyBags

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
i would rather just buy a ryedale, that sorts out coppers, and inside the coppers are wheat cents, most of the time, but like others have said, some older wheats get thrown in with the zincolns.

plus the ryedale does double what this product would do, unless the product is real cheap, i don't think people would buy it.

what do you mean by it does double?This machine can separate the copper cents from the zinc then it puts all the other coins in another bucket.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread