Would you hunt a local park after "senior day"?

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was over in town taking care of some business, when I noticed far more cars parked along the road and much heavier then normal traffic. After finishing up, I swung over near the hub of activity, which turned out to be a senior day at the local park. There were approximately 300-400 people there. They had some sort of dance contest going on as well as other competitions. I noticed numerous rows of tables set up throughout as well as some food vending. Most of the folks looked to be in their late 60's to early 70's, but obviously still some much older. Many middle aged "children" accompanied their senior parents.

Is this worth hitting? I'm not sure when this event ends. I might hit it in the morning or would that be too late? I've never noticed anyone detecting there the few times I've hit this park on the weekend. I'm not a big park hunter though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Juice in the hole

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I figured I'd find some clad. The dancing and exercise activities caught my eye. Probably lots of change or jewellery falling out of those pockets.

I feel kind of dirty planning this outing lol...

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might find a nice set of dentures.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might find a nice set of dentures.

Maybe even a gold tooth from an old timer. :goldbar:

I would absolutely hunt it...it's not like it is a cemetery or anything. I would just pretend I was a kid again and my grandpa or grandma was giving me change. :laughing7:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Unless those old timers were doing the limbo I wouldn't expect many dropped clad.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless those old timers were doing the limbo I wouldn't expect many dropped clad.

yea if you ever stood behind an Old Lady at Walmart while she held her hand over her Purse,
3" from her eyes as she counted out Exact Change, You will realize
They don't drop anything.
Of course I've picked up canes already on the road leading from the stores.
they lay their canes on their roof as they load their groceries, then the results of woodstock era party favors
kick in and they hop in the car and drive off.
because most drive very slow they usually get out on the highway, before the wind blows them away.
those I just Drop off at the information desk in the nearest store :laughing7:

When I saw your Title I had to wonder Senior Year school students or Senior Citizens.
Now if there was something 18 Year olds , Expect tons of change.
owning & counting out Change makes Kids look & feel Poor .
So they chuck it. especially if they are Boys on a date.
They need to Flash $20's all night , For their Party Favors later :laughing7:

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure I'd hit it. Wherever people gather there's a chance for things to be lost. When I was a Park Ranger in Oklahoma, the most common item found along the lake shore that was turned in to the park office was dentures. We had a big box of them, unclaimed. When I detected around the lake shores, I found quite a few wristwatches, but not a Rolex among them.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old timers loose nothing.

BUT... after a good old timers scuffle or wrestling match,,, or some old timer Frisbee...
Old timer volleyball... etc... maybe. :P

Love watching old timers on trampolines. :_)

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure I'd hit it. Wherever people gather there's a chance for things to be lost. When I was a Park Ranger in Oklahoma, the most common item found along the lake shore that was turned in to the park office was dentures. We had a big box of them, unclaimed. When I detected around the lake shores, I found quite a few wristwatches, but not a Rolex among them.

A bit Scary thinking about reasons Senior Citizens would be Removing their Teeth when at the Lake :o at home to clean them is one thing

smallbz.jpg

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd hunt a local park any day, especially a day after an activity...

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya'll be nice, you'll all be old someday unless you flame out early.

JUMP ON THAT PARK!!!!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad is good, and the older people usually wear gold jewelry, they've had more years to collect it.
Go for it!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I like to find stuff. The day after a big event means you will undoubtedly find some stuff. Hunt it!

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heck yeah! Hunt it!

I love park hunts. I find plenty of great jewelry in them. For some reason, folks will go through them on coin mode... Try slowing down and searching decent signals, and anything out of the ordinary.

I went to a local park this summer and hit it hard. 17 rings (3 gold, 5 silver, 2 tungsten, 2 titanium, 2 stainless steel, and a few junkies) and and 2 silver bracelets came out of that park... In that whole time, only about $2.50 in quarters and dimes.

People coinshoot parks regularly to find the dropped quarters... you might be pleasantly suprised at what you find if you grid the open area.

Have fun!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are spot on with the observation about the differences between the "Oldsters and the Youngsters " with regard to loss .
I hunted a lot of parks in New Mexico for years , one or two that had huge gatherings of teenagers nearly every aft./eve.
These parks we're always loaded with change - these kids all smoke cigarettes , and they wear "skinny jeans " so when they
extricate the smokes from a pocket - any coins just go all over the turf , and they're way too cool to reach down and pick
them up ! Generally speaking , yes hunt a park after any decent sized gathering !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread