GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've thought about writing an app to grade coins based on a picture, but just haven't ever gotten to the part where I try to write it. :)

Maybe someday as I have at least one other project in mind to that I probably will try to do first.

OP
OP
P

pennynoob

Jul 14, 2013
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Other
I've thought about writing an app to grade coins based on a picture, but just haven't ever gotten to the part where I try to write it. :)

Maybe someday as I have at least one other project in mind to that I probably will try to do first.

Lookup app incubator

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's likely a bit more complicated than a simple app as I don't think an iPhone or Android app by itself would have the bandwidth to do the processing that will likely be required (at least not if my suspicions are correct). I still think it's doable, but I think more than just an app will be required to get the desired functionality with today's technology. In other words, I don't think this is currently a candidate for an app incubator.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it's likely a bit more complicated than a simple app as I don't think an iPhone or Android app by itself would have the bandwidth to do the processing that will likely be required (at least not if my suspicions are correct). I still think it's doable, but I think more than just an app will be required to get the desired functionality with today's technology. In other words, I don't think this is currently a candidate for an app incubator.

I think it's a good idea (in theory) but making a practical one would be tough; you have to take into effect shadows on the coin, toning, picture clarity (if the coin is scratched, cleaned, etc.)

- DS

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's already been done called coin book pro

Except coinbook pro isnt on android only iphone

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one would take a grading done online from a pic seriously. A good example of why is a few years back there was a copper I was bidding on, on Ebay. Looked high grade, everything right, so I bid in the hundreds. I beat out a couple of well known dealers, a short time later received the coin and it had been cleaned. Usually I can pick that up in a pic, but sometimes a straight on shot does not show this, and that was the case for my purchase. I also know from selling coins and taking pics, you can manipulate the angle of the coin and lighting to hide it was cleaned. So on that point alone there's just no way any company who takes grading seriously is going to do it from a picture.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want 25% royalties for coming up with the idea

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I had the idea submitted before. I wouldn't post it and let people steal it

You cant prove it - my idea is forever public! Play hardball with me and I'm gonna jack it up to 50% or maybe hire 50's law team.

I feel like the Winklevoss twins........

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not about can you make the app or not, it's if you can get the grading companies to agree to grade by photo only. and that I highly doubt. It's a great idea as a third-part grading service, but to get official grades seems unlikely. Still it'd be cool!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not about can you make the app or not, it's if you can get the grading companies to agree to grade by photo only. and that I highly doubt. It's a great idea as a third-part grading service, but to get official grades seems unlikely. Still it'd be cool!

You don't even have to highly doubt, there's zero chance. They're paid to get it right and they're not going to guess. It's simply a terrible idea and will never happen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread