Would you spend $400 on a .5 ct diamond solitaire and a channel band?

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, :icon_scratch:

So you did not buy it yet ? ??? If not, I'm sorry to stir up the bees nest. I thought you bought it.. :dontknow:
Please forgive me. :notworthy:
Keep @ It and HH !! :hello2:

Lol, it's alright. I may have worded my post poorly as I was in a rush at work. Yeah, I haven't bought it. I'm going to wait and see what the paper work says and if it appears to be an excellent stone, THEN I'll request a jeweler to check it out to verify it. This of course being only if the paperwork describes an exceptional stone.. Who knows, maybe if it isn't that fantastic, I'd have a chance at saying I wouldn't be interested in it for more than $200 due to that reason and they may take it. Slim chance, but worth a shot.

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is somewhat off topic and this article is old/long but worth reading. In summary: diamonds are not that rare, are controlled by a cartel, and the perception they have 'value' is largely the byproduct of marketing.

With that said you can make money flipping them because the masses have been convinced they have value.

http://m.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1982/02/have-you-ever-tried-to-sell-a-diamond/304575/

Compare and contrast gold to diamonds:
Gold - any reputable dealer will sell a 1 oz coin at spot + a small premium. You can go outside, walk back in, and they will buy it from you at spot.

Now try that with a diamond. You would be lucky to get 50%. For retail buyers, diamonds are a complete scam.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't buy it! Take your money and get up early and hit hit some garage/yard sales early, be the first one there and buy you some gold jewelry and then resell you will have a way better bang for your buck! Pay attention to what everyone is telling you. Good luck! ........ Scott.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't buy it! Take your money and get up early and hit hit some garage/yard sales early, be the first one there and buy you some gold jewelry and then resell you will have a way better bang for your buck! Pay attention to what everyone is telling you. Good luck! ........ Scott.

Lol, I entirely agree that it is better to do this and it has a much better ROI. I know I mentioned that spending 400 would be a good chunk out of my bankroll, but nothing can keep me from checking out the sales! I really just wish there were more of them around here.. hoping that its just a slow blooming season.

Anyway I am taking all of this advice to heart and 99.9% won't make the purchase. I still am investigating regardless just so that I can learn more. Once I see the paperwork (havent received it yet) I'd like to ask a local jeweler what A. he'd pay me for the stone and B. what price he thinks it would move at in his shop as a consignment piece. I can use these numbers as future references when buying stones. Heck, I even learned that a .25 carat brilliant cut diamond is worth $75 to a low-balling local jeweler - even one with a feather.

I don't buy items for over spot price unless I have very good reason to. I try to stay away from stones, but would even pay spot (including stone weight) for an exceptional looking piece that I feel I would have no problem reselling for profit. As silverdollarbill said, even if the diamonds are truly worthless, perception is everything. I could pick up a rock off the ground knowing that there are a countless number of them out there, but if the masses are convinced its worth $100.. well.. if that is what they want to pay..

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not going to be a flawless stone.... :icon_scratch: I don't see anyone putting a good stone in Palladium its just not a popular enough medal. :dontknow: I don't know I'm not an expert, just trying to learn myself. ??? This is how I do it... :thumbsup:
Thanks for posting, its a good post !! :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Supposed to be in the 70's there Saturday, good luck! You getting out to KC on the weekends? Blue Springs Garage Sales, Yard Sales & Estate Sales by Map | Blue Springs, MO | gsalr.com

I don't get into the city as much as I'd like. I work nights and normally just hit a couple sales in my town or maybe next town over. Last weekend I got to a handful on Saturday, but even on the more wealthy side of town was mainly junk, clothing & kids toys. I'm going to keep at it though!

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Keep your money. You can do much better than this. The seller wont come down either because he thinks you're a sucker or he's got too much sentimental value wrapped up in these rings . . . OR because he's one of those people who think "I paid THIS much, it HAS to be worth at least HALF that!" It isn't. Insurance valuations are at minimum 2X real value. You did not find treasure. The only thing that could make those rings worth investing is if they were made by Tiffany & Co., Vuitton, or some other WOW! type label. Then you would be buying treasure.
Your gut was telling you to look twice before you leap, that is the least painful lesson you can learn. The next lesson is "I just spent a LOT of money on this, HOW am I gonna get my money back?" You don't need the hassle over what sounds like a minimal profit at best.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread